All Topics / General Property / Australians in trouble “warning”

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I guess I am biased – I plan to have kids. If I didn’t I may have a different opinion! I do wonder why adoption from overseas is so difficult tho – it would seem the perfect stop gap solution

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Don’t get me wrong John…

I plan to have children as well – IN THE DISTANT FUTURE.

I will not be seeking hand-outs though as it will be my own choice and I intend to pay my own way. I believe it is financially irresponsible to have children if you can not support them yourself.

The Government can change things at any time. What happens if all welfare is stopped immediately? We will become a third-world country.

What concerns me the most is that I see people purchasing property while they receive welfare payments or the dole. There is something wrong here when I have to work very hard to buy my properties.

Out society has it’s issues.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

this baby bonus is a joke and the most inefficient handout ever.

A better way to encourage people to have babies is to have affordable housing. It would be interesting to know what the fertility rate in Sydney is and what it will be in the future. I reckon it will drop like a stone. Young paople cannot afford an average home in Sydney (or in fact any home), so home ownership gets delayed and having babies gets pushed back even further and then the women are in their mid-late 30’s and it’s too late to have more than 1 kid. It’s so simple Mr howard : people’s hierarchy of needs (food, safety, housing, then kids) is not consistent with wimmins biological clock (fertility drops off exponentially with increasing age after 30, even with IVF). If prices appreciate another 30% in sydney compared to average income, we will start to get into intergenerational loans, with the fertility rate through the floor and a Japan type situation.

Now how do I make money out of this unfortunate situation ? Buy IVF clinics !

@robbie-b

The Government is building a heap of housing out west and the locals are whinging about it. I think the biggest issue is finding locations that do not cause too much uproar (like the building on the sydney harbour waterfront). Placing too many government homes together also creates heaps of ongoing problems.

It is a difficult situation.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

not only that but the process for building single residential homes is so much easier tahn units. i speak to many developers who feel that creating multi-unit sites is just getting too hard. Government needs to address this if we are to (a) curb urban sprawl (b) create a supply of housing to bring prices down

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

obiwan – very insightful!

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi Ausrop & Obiwan good points,

IMHO due to a recent trip out west last week (sydney) i notice two types of housing. Single storey and two storey, both of which are built on postage stamps.

Our housing is becomming tackey and minumalistic. The houses are so close together that you can hand soap to your neighbours through the bathroom windows.

Many of the house have no eves and the boundry appears to be about 500mm each side.

I think multi storey should be confined to town centres and train station locations with secured multi storey car parking (stratered) nearby.

Generation loans are just around the corner unless gen.y and gen.x don’t change their spending habits, credit cards, leases, store accounts, BB’s have a different attitude to borrowings.

regards Phil

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I agree Phil that our housing is becoming tacky and minimalistic. you say you don’t want much multi storey and you also want larger blocks – don’t you think this is a recipe for urban sprawl? I can’t stand driving for hours through estate after estate of identical looking houses

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of Pat VPat V
    @pat-v

This might be a bit off where the topic has gone to (having babies), and I’m not sure whether it is even relevant to the original point but what makes me laugh these days as an early 20 something man (gen Y?) is that quite a few people, whether for parternership or firendship or whatever (let’s call them the Paris Hilton Wannabes) are choosing partners based on an appearance of wealth – ie. their ability to swipe a credit card on the expectation that being associated with these people will mean a lifestyle of luxury and good birthday presents. But those people who do have alot of money, are saving, and perhaps are catching public transport, not going out too much etc to save money, can be viewed as less likely to provide them with the comfortable lifestyle because they often don’t look flashy, and consequently are overlooked by the people who desperately want to be rich and are evaluating partners on the basis of their financial resources.

Nowadays it’s far too easy to look wealthy. Eg. a tailored suit only costs $1500 which is within the grasp of any guy with a credit card. But people still are evaluating others through 18th century lenses based on how they look. Not alot of people really seem to have grasped the fact that so much of what they see is an illusion. For anyone to stop spending and getting in debt, they need to realise that looking good and splashing money around does not make them wealthy.

And people can still look good to other people without spending alot of money, cause so much of what we do to make others take notice goes completely unnoticed…

@robbie-b

Are you ugly Pat??? :)

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Robert, I am not so sure you are being penalised fo rchoosing to NOT have children. When you are older and need medical assisstance, you will need those children from other people to keep the system going. The point I was trying to make was that there is so much encouragement to get mothers back to work which is much to the detriment of their child’s development.

If parents were able to stay home and do their job of bringing up their children so we have a balanced society, surely the outlook for australia would be better? Like I also said, I am not sure exactly how it would work, but I do agree with what you said about people being financially prepared to have children too. But, sometimes finances still can never prepare you for the little buggers as they pop on the scene at the most inappropriate time! Hee hee…

I dunno what the answer is. We do, however, need to start paying more attention to our children as they have been neglected for way too long…

Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

@robbie-b

Steph,

It is definately a hard one to sort out. I hope someone comes up with the RIGHT solution.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

0414 347 771
    [email protected]

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi Pat V,

I think you have a lot of insight for your age. I believe it is best to start good habits early so best of luck to you.

Hi All,

It is one thing to think you are financially prepared for a child and another to live the reality of paying for one. There are some events that you just can’t (or don’t want to) forsee. For example having a disabled child just blows any budget based on a “normal” child out of the window – just ask my husband and I.

As far as genuine people on welfare purchasing IPs, if they make wise investment choices then that will see them become independant of the welfare system and therefore the taxpayer. Is that something to complain about? Not in my opinion. Having said that, those that scam their way into welfare payments through deciet, lazyness etc annoy me regardless of what they do with the money that they don’t deserve.

My suggestion with the housing affordability problem leading to delayed fertility and declining pop’n etc, etc is that the government should encourage growth in regional areas. I believe that to a certain extent housing prices in capital cities (esp Sydney) have already started this process.

In the end it is all about priorities for most people. Very few of us will get through life without making some hard calls and sacrificing things that we may want very badly. I consider myself lucky that I have been able to choose (mostly) what I was willing to sacrifice in my life so far.

Regards
    Sonja

@scremin

Sonja,
    I agree about “thinking” your’re financially prepared. Cremin was in that thinking that we needed to be “Financially prepared” to have children, but I know that no time will ever be the “Good time”.

As long as you try your hardest to make sure your child is healthy and happy is the best you can really do.

Incidentally, what disability does your child have? How has it changed your life? My mum works with disabled adults and I have worked with disabled children and I take my hat off to the parents of those children and adults.
    Cheers
    Steph.

Profile photo of Julian2Julian2
    @julian2

As my father used to say, “Nothin’ wrong with kids – it just depends how they are cooked!”
    Seriously though, has anyone stopped to consider how ridiulous it is to have healthy, intelligent, experienced individuals stop working at a pre-determined age. Wouldn’t it be great if they could reduce their hours gradually if they so desired, and keep contributing to society. Today many seventy and eighty year olds are exercising regularly and keeping fit – and their brains are sharp as a tack. They have experienced the highs and the lows and have a wealth of knowledge to pass on. Just a thought, but I tend to think the whole retirement issue is looked at from the wrong angle. I mean why retire, unless you have to? Nothing wrong with a three month holiday on turning 65, but who wants to sit around doing nothing important for years and years?
    Julian2

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

G’day “The Newsman”(Richmond),
    Rich,reading your post regarding nannies,reminds me of “your”(Channel Nine) television show Wife Swap USA.
    In an episode,a millionairess swaps her life style with a timber cutter’s wife.
    The millionairess is obliged to do the timber cutter’s wifes work. Splitting timber.
    The timber cutter’s wife then lives the life of the millionairess.
    The TC’s wife becomes the partner(no sex)and mother to the millionairess family.They eat out at least six times a week(no kids).
    When they do eat at home it’s not with the kids.
    They have four nannies full time.
    If the kids need anything at night,they call out for the nanny.
    I won’t bore you with the rest of the episode.
    But it’s certainly an odd way of living.
    The parents don’t know the children.The kids don’t know their parents.
    But what a life style they have.

I love reality tv! KEEP IT COMING NEWSMAN!!!

bruham.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

The problem of giving out tax payer’s money,for any reason,only causes people to want more.It becomes free and easy money,for the recipients.

While governments keep throwing money at our proplems,the problem only keeps growing.
    “Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day.
    Teach him to fish and he will feed himself for life”.
    So the answer is to teach people to have RESPONSIBILITY for themselves.

When John Howard threw money at the family, in the form of a baby bonus, he created a huge spending spree. On everything but their children.
    Boosted the economy to new heights.

Hospitals can’t cope with patient numbers.
    At three o’clock on a weekend morning, crowds of people sit around the emergency ward(for hours), of Manly Hosital.Why? it’s free.
    At the medical centre,three miles up the road, where you must pay forty dollars,before you claim
    your medicare rebate, the place is empty.
    Two reasons.
    one you must pay.
    two, you only wait ten minutes,maximum.
    While people feel that the government should pay, the situation will only keep going from bad to worse.
    The answer is for everyone to part pay their own way.
    Education, pay for their books,pens,pencils and contribute to the school fund.
    Medical,at least belong to a basic private health fund.
    Transport,it’s unbelievable the amount of people who travel on some form of government assistance,
    concession, travel passes.
    Of cause,there are exceptions to the rule.Some people do slip through the cracks. They must be looked after.
    Just my thoughts.
    bruham.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

All,

I think Steph is on to something and its bigger than a lousy $3K baby bonus. If we are to reverse the fertility trend we need some form of intervention from the government. In economic terms you might consider children as a “merit good”. Governments intervene in free markets for merit/demerit goods when they believe the population can’t make the correct decisions for themselves. ie. tax Cigarettes and give concessions for babies. This is a clear case of a merit good intervention requirement.

Robert is right though that its a hard one to sort out. Its interesting reading his threads as he uses a lot of the same sort of terminology I used to use when I wasn’t planning on having a baby with my wife. We looked down on “breeders” and considered all sorts of family handouts as inappropriate given it was a personal decision. We’re heavy taxpayers and resent a lot of it going to things we can’t benefit from. Now we are planning on having children our opinions have changed slightly. I now respect “parents” for the sacrifices they make. This includes lost income and lifestyle.

Lets be clear, my wife and I will be financially much worse off after having a child. This is a decision we have made and accept this as a consequence. We don’t expect the government to bridge the financial gap, it would cost them hundreds of thousands, but some sort of merit good intervention is appropriate. I didn’t even know there was a $3K one off payment, its so paltry I wouldn’t even blink twice at it. What I’m talking about is some sort of legislation in the form of paid maternity leave. This would allow mothers to take a few months off without financial impact, then resume their job. The burden of this is met by employers, but admittedly in a free market this ends up being passed on to consumers dependent on the demand elasticity of the goods/services produced by the employer.

Anyway, great posts and very interesting points made so far.

Cheers,
    Michael.

@robbie-b

So I have to pay more for products so people can stay home and have babies???

I don’t think so!

Here is an idea… Cancel all benefits for those families who have an income (and can afford it) and use the money to educate the whole community on how to properly invest for growth of their family, their investments and to self-fund their retirement. When people know more, they usually do better. When they do better, they are happier. When they are happier, they have more fun. More fun leads to an increase in the population if you know what I mean. This would benefit the whole community instead of taking from some to give to others.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif

@scremin

Welcome back Michael! How was your trip to Whitsundays? I am still very green with envy….

Robert I totally understand where you are coming from about educating the masses about their financial future, but there will always be a group of people who do not conform to such ideas and only live for the moment. It has happened pretty much the whole time humankind has lived.

I have been thinking about it a little. Perhaps rather than paying a person (Mother or father) to stay home for at least two years of their child’s life, what about setting up greater rebates for essential items such as fruit and vegetables and other essential foods. I mean the prices of basic food items have sky rocketed over the years and they MUSt be taking their toll on struggling families.

That way, if a family is survivng on one income, at least they could have a little bit extra money to play with. What about also giving rebates for using cloth nappies and trying to become a little greener in the home? Like I have previously said, I dunno how it will be done, but we really need to do something. I am sure there are plently of people like me (26 years old), who would love to have children but cannot afford to right yet.

I tell ya though, we are trying our bloody heart out to make sure we won’t be a burden on the government and hope to not rely on gov handouts. Even when I was unemployed for 6 months, I preferred to get three jobs that go on the dole.

Anyway…

Steph.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.