All Topics / Help Needed! / Initial Help – FHOG & partnering with Friends

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of guestyguesty
    @guesty

Hi All,

Thanks everyone in advance – this site (+ books) have proven to be a godsend in uncluttering things so far!

(Quick background -> 4 friends looking to invest in property together. All put in an upfront bulk deposit and then committing to monthly additional cash input – we figure that we can build the portfolio much quicker as a group than as individuals?!).

So, I’m pretty new to all this and would appreciate some direction on a couple of issues.

As said, myself + 3 friends are looking into PI and in doing some initial research it has been difficult to work out the answers to a few questions.

1. What is the best set-up if four friends are interested into partnering for property investment?
    – Trust/partnership/Company/other?

It seems that the discretionary/unit Trust is the way to go – is this true?

2. How would this approach affect any single person within the group in being able to then qualify for the FHOG separately?
    – Would we all be immediately ineligable for the Grant?
    – Is there a way of setting things up so that we are still eligable?

3. Some-one (apologies I forget who now) seemed pretty strong on advising against what we’re thinking of doing – i.e. going into PI with a group of friends?
    – What are other peoples opinions?
    – Main concerns?

4. How does money lending/loan set-up work for a trust/partnership – is everyone individually responsible for securing a loan, or can a trust get a mortgage?
    – What are the provisos for this (on an individual level in terms of approval)?

– Any basic questions/advice that anyone can think of that we should definnitely not leave unanswered?

OK – I feel I’ve overloaded this already, so look forward to some feedback and ‘after’ that it might be a better time to ask more questions!

Thanks everyone in advance (again)

Cheers, John

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

A few quick points.

If none of the partners live in the property then it wont affect FHOG.

IMO it is detrimental to go into partnerships other than a spouse. Affects your borrowing ability as you are jointly responsile for the whole debt.

The trust can get a mortgage but each member will guarantor the loan. Therefore when each member goes for another loan the entire revious debt will be a liability.

There is also the fact you are depending on three other people.

I would prefer to go it alone, by all means help each other out and work together.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Todays Hot Rate
    3 year fixed – 6.57%

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of ZZ
    @z

so if someone in NSW purchases an investment property, and then plans to purchase a PPOR at a later date, would they still get an exemption from Stamp Duty + FHOG?

Thanks
    Z

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Partnerships are not a good idea – in my opinion. You are best buying in one persons name, with a separate agreement drawn up. That way you can get the FHOG 4 times, and increase your borrowing capacity while decreasing risk.

Once you buy one each, you could then set up 4 different trusts – discretionary or Hybrid discretionary. Have one person as trustee for each trust/or director of the trustee company. all 4 could then be beneficiaries. When the loan is taken out only the director/trustee will be required to guarrantee it, leaving the borrowing capacities of the other 3 intact.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.