Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of nathan210nathan210
    Participant
    @nathan210

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding how to turn a -ve C/F IP to a +ve C/F IP by using a L/O.

These are my current IP stats:

Value: $185K
    Rent: $165/week
    Loan: P&I
    weekly repay: $293

If I was to use a lease option, I would do it like this (with my very slight knowledge of the process):

Option price: $222K (+20% of current IP value)
    Option call fee: $3700 (2% of IP value)
    Option term: 6 years
    weekly repay: $300/week

1) Would this be a fair deal both for me & the lease option client?

On these stats, we would only be $8/week C/F +ve, but it would turn the IP from -ve to +ve cashflow none the less, but only if someone wishes to enter into the L/O on these terms.

2) Given the original rent amount, can anyone advise me how to fairly calculate what weekly amount to charge for the lease option? I have read things like setting the rate 3% higher than current rate, but in this case that would make the weekly repay for the client about $377/week!!!! which to me looks a bit steep?

3) Also, after the 6 year term, would the client need to pay another lease option fee in order to secure another term, or does this just mean that the option price of the IP is re-adjusted with respect to the IP value at that time, and they can renew the term if they wish?

4) If they do not wish to renew the term for another option, do they forfeit the original option fee?

Thanks for all the advice. Although i wish to turn this IP into +ve C/F, i also wish to create a win-win situation, as this will help someone out who would normally not be able to get a house.

Thank you kindly [biggrin]

It is only your thoughts that create your future – Be careful what you think!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi there

I have done a few lease options like this and have come tot he conclusion that I shouldn’t have!

1) I think to make it worthwhile for yourself, you should base the rent on PI payments on the strike price less the option fee. ie about $393 per week. adjusted quarterly in line with the CPI. This does not always work for properties in areas of low rental yields.

2) yes, 2 to 3% would be good (for you)

3) I think 6 years is too long. But after the end of the lease, the tenant would have to either:
    a) buy the property
    b) move out and lose everything they have paid.
    c) renew the lease, with a new rent and new stirke price based on market values at that time. Make sure you have the right to decide if you want to renew or not, and charge a new option fee.

4) yep if they back out, all option fees, extra rent etc are not refunded. unless you want to of course.

From what I have seen, giving up a potentially large capital gain for a small weekly profit is not worth it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.