All Topics / Help Needed! / Quest on putting om second residence on PPOR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Hi think this is a no brainer but am trying to find if we are missing something on this.

Have 5 acre lot in the NW Sydney with a 30 yr old single level house. Both my boys are young adults and the house is simply too small. We also tend to read and collect and have a huge amount of books magazines etc.

Answer is move and rent, move and buy (looking at around 700-800 ) or build further back on the block .
    All up with drive way, 6 car garage, big house we think we’ll eat low 400s.
    Rent out the other house, rent from the old will cover 80% of interest on the new.
    Never plan to sell, so if we move later we will have two sourses of rent, together with rent from a commerecial strata and super etc.
    If the devilupahs offer us the going rate for what is being sold all around us, $4.4M then yep its yours, otherwise we will sit until it happens.

I’m taxable on the rent on the old house etc and I don’t have a question on capital gains, but are we missing something here as it seems to be the logical move.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Still waiting ….actually it’s a positive cashflow question

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you have purchased the place prior to 1986(?) if should be capital gains tax free no matter what you do with it. So you could buy elsewhere and claim this property as you main residence and then have two CGT exempt places -very good. You should probably sit down with an accountant to discuss your best move.

If you buy elsewhere, you would have to get a mortgage (?) which would mean you are paying rent on your rental income and paying for your mortgage repayments with after tax dollars.

Having 5 acress near Sydney will mean high capital growth, so it may be best to hang on…

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.