All Topics / Heads Up! / $1M In Properrty In One Year

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of hmackayhmackay
    Participant
    @hmackay

Just finished reading the new book.

This book has answered several Qs I’ve been thinking about for some time. Without giving anything away to non readers of the book I think it is sensational, inspiringggggggggggggg.

Congratulation to all the Mappers and a big thankyou Steve and Dave.

hrm

Profile photo of emf2fJemf2fJ
    @emf2fj

Hi hmackay,
    I agree with you… This books is very inspiring and it gives you motivation to look for opportunities..and it is achievable … thanks to all the mappers and Also to Steve and Dave …

Congratulation to all the people involve for making this wonderful and great book….

Profile photo of Joseph_propJoseph_prop
    @joseph_prop

What is this book referring to? Is it refering to $1M in loan amount or property value or what?

thanks,
    Joseph

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Joseph,

The $1mil is sale contract prices of property…

Regards,

Del

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

The title of the book gives context…

$1,000,000
    in property
    in one year

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

-deleted-

Opinions in the opinionated forum please.

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted
    Originally posted by SteveMcKnight:

The title of the book gives context…

$1,000,000
    in property
    in one year

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Gives context but still doesnt clarify the original question from Joseph

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Okay… I’m not sure why, but there does seem to be some confusion. I thought Del answered the question okay which is why all I did was point out that the answer (i.e. property) was also in the title.

Anyway… so as we are all on the right page, and to clear up any confusion, let’s start again…

Joseph,

Thanks for your question.

The title of the new book, which includes the words ‘in property’, indicates that the value is indeed the property value at the end of the MAP, rather than the loan value, or any other value. Having said that, the ‘cost’ of each Mappers property portfolio is included in the book so readers can judge performance.

This is consistent with information in the online shop that details the book where it is written(emphasis added):

The title for this book is derived from the Millionaire Apprentice Program (‘MAP’) – a private mentoring project author Steve McKnight ran for a small group of investors which began in August 2003 and finished a year later.

Coming from a diverse background with varying degrees of experience, the MAP participants (‘MAPPERS’) were put through an intensive training regimen with the goal of acquiring a (gross) million dollar property portfolio in 12 months. Not just any property would do though – it had to be purchased according to a plan for it to make money immediately.

So, apologies if my first answer didn’t seem comprehensive, but I thought a it was a straightforward question and a straightforward answer.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

well done to all the mappers and steve and dave.
    loved the book, however having met the mappers at a masterclass seminar, it was not easy for any of the mappers, and i suspect dave and steve were probably pulling their hair out at some stage as well. it may have been nice to have gone into all the deals that the mappers didnt follow through and why.
    just a thought.
    again thanks for a great read, has caused me to put up a doing/done/completed list on my wall at work. [biggrin]
    cheers
    shaun

Lead, Follow or get out of the bloody way

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

hhmmm

on pg. 14 on the 3rd last line, it says there were 23 people (eight couples and 5 individuals)

…8 couples is 16 + 5 individuals = 21 not 23

I may be mistaken – but I think theres a typo…

Regards,
    Geo

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Geo,

From my memory, there were 21 people in all who started, so I would say that 8 couples and 5 singles is correct…

Del

Profile photo of Julian2Julian2
    @julian2

I look forward to reading the book, and realise that having $1m of property in one’s portfolio could be a significant milestone …but is it necessarily? If there is a coresponding $1m of debt the net worth to the individual is less than zero – thanks to duties and costs.
    In the mathmatical game of investing surely there are only two items of worth, one being nett worth (assett value minus debt), and the other being positive cashflow. Everything else is superfluous dross designed to impress others.
    I’m sure in the cases within the confines of this book the participants have all built up significant equity and I realise there is value in learning to negotiate deals and obtain finance – but so often the overwhelming emphasis seems to be on aquiring truck loads of properties with fingers crossed for capital gain.
    Your thoughts, please.
    Julian2

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

I think way too much can be read into this Julian2. Basically all their IPs were positive cashflow, so in they were ahead.

In terms of nett worth (assett value minus debt) I think it’s a bogus figure. Mainly because it is very subjective, can change daily and in fact dosen’t tell you very much.

For example say you own a building that costs $1Mil (resi) and provides a profit of say $2K per week. The Gov. takes away all the benefits of neg. gearing and the property market crashes. Your $1Mil building falls to a value of $840K, and say you had a bank loan for $900K. Whats changed? Well the property has fallen $160K and my net worth is -$60K. But apart from that – Nothing. I’m still getting $2K per week, I haven’t been affected by the Gov. changes and I’m still paying the bank loans off, but my ‘net worth’ is now -$60K. BIG DEAL!!!! At worst the bank might call the loan (but if I’m still paying there is a 99% chance they won’t (unless it’s the NAB – beware!!!)).

Say the Gov. realises whats it’s done and decide to convert everything back to normal, but they realise that they must make it more attractive to investors (they have to entice them back) so they provide higher depreciation right offs.

Now my building might of jumped to $1.1Mil. Whats happened? Well my net worth has gone from -$60K to $200K, but I still make my $2K per week, and so in reality nothing has changed (I can’t borrow any more because the bank requires 80%LVR for any redraw).

If you have a large portfolio of stocks in almost becomes totally meaningless, because of the price changes everyday (many people were telling people about their ‘net worth’ during the dot.com boom, yet I wonder what their ‘net worth’ was after the dot.bomb?).

Thats why net worth is in my mind such a bogus figure.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I think this book is very clear. It is about CONTROLLING 1 million dollars worth of property in 12 months using stringent purchasing guidelines.

Can we move on now?

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Profile photo of Julian2Julian2
    @julian2

Like I said I am very much looking forward to reading the book, (copy ordered) which I imagine is very inspiring. I understand the title is about controlling $1m worth of property – and presumably all properties in the book offer positive cash-flow, which is no bad thing.

And I take Lucifer_au’s point that nett worth can vary considerably without any change to the income stream due to extraneous factors such as changes to government legislation.

But I stand by my assertion that the two most important considerations must be nett worth – in case one wished to cash-up, or more likely to borrow against the equity – and the other cosideration is the cash-flow which provides the income stream.

If you have a positive cash flow of $100k and $1m of equity it doesn’t really matter, apart from the extra work, whether you control $2m of property or $5m – in fact it may be, in many cases, much better to contol $2m because your gearing is at 50% and therefore your risk exposure is lower.

I take the point, also, that valuing a property is subjective. Valuers will even admit that!!! But if Steve was to write another book in say five years time about those same mappers and the properties they originally bought, do you not think he might make some “subjective” judgements about how those properties had moved in value? We would expect his determination not to be perfect, but rather indicative. Otherwise, unless some properties had sold, the original purchase price would be the only figure we had to work with and it wouldn’t appear the mappers had made much progress apart from the cash-flow received.

Please, however, do not misinterpret my comments to imply any negativity towards the mappers – who have undoubtedly done fantastically well. Nor any slight towards Steve.

At the end of the day it’s not how many properties you own, nor the purchase price of the properties, but what the ones you do have are doing for you.

Julian.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Julian,

I understand where you’re coming from. And I too would be the last one to cast aspersions at Steve’s book or obvious success.

I agree though, that net worth is very important and shouldn’t be ignored in favour of pure cash flow assessment of investments. Jan Somers advocates calculating the Internal Rate of Return (IRR) of investments. I find this very easy to understand and obvious in its implications.

ie. If I invest $20K to buy a place that costs $100K for example, and it yields $2K a year in positive cash flow but no capital gain then my IRR is 10%. ie. $2K on $20K down.

If, however, the same investment yields no cash flow return (neutral) but 10% capital gain then my IRR is 50%. ie. $10K capital gain on $20K down.

I’ll take 50% IRR over 10% IRR any day. Even though this money isn’t “realised” as cash in the hand it is still earnings. It can be realised by redrawing to invest further or in the worst case by selling and profiting the balance after disclosing the mortgage.

To ignore equity when calculating investment performance is to do yourself out of a lot of dough. My philosophy is that cash flow allows for servicability of loans, but capital gain is where all the real money is made. This, of course, depends on which market you are investing in. And I am investing in capital intensive markets such as Sydney. If Steve wants to run a Mappers v2 I’ll happily put my hand up to be oneof his mentorees so he can convince me of the error of my ways. [biggrin]

Cheers,
    Michael.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.