All Topics / General Property / Very curious ads

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of sui generissui generis
    @sui-generis

Over the years I’ve noticed small ads, usually in the local rag’s ‘land for sale’ classifieds section.

The pattern is the same: several undeveloped, ex-farm, acres for sale for around $30,000 to $65,000. Usually promising some idyllic country retreat potential.

I have first seen these ads while living in Melbourne in the 80’s and 90’s. They were pretty regular and usually the same phone number under each ad. I am now noticing them here in Brisbane.

Surely this is some way of making a profit, or else “they” wouldn’t be doing it. Selling dreams, I guess, especially if these properties are way far into the sticks with no or little services.

Has anyone here looked into these ads a bit deeper, ie actually went out to look at those pieces of land? If so, what’s going on?

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Allot of the time it is people who have moved to get out of their city lifestyle into the peace of country life. Unfortunately it can be hard work (having to run animals, having to farm, etc). Usually they don’t want to do it anymore (because while it can be a great lifestyle it can be hard work) and hence they put up their property for sale.

Some can be good investments but of course it depends on the deal (as always).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of sui generissui generis
    @sui-generis

These ads have the same phone number, but usually different, or apparently different, properties with different prices and different descriptions.

The ads are repeated over years, and , as I said, same phone numbers. This is definitely not people giving up on the ‘idyllic’ country comforts that didn’t work out.

These must be investors who buy land very cheaply somewhere out in the sticks and then try to sell it at a some profit. And since this has been going on for years, both here and in Victoria, there must be something in this as a profitable business.

SG.

Profile photo of chupachupchupachup
    Participant
    @chupachup

It may be similar to something I remember from a number of years back. I saw a similar ad and called about it. The fellow sent me a bunch of information about the area – can’t remember exactly where it was – nth nsw/qld??

Anyway, he seemed like a very nice old fellow and explained that it was all his land and he just sold some off every now and then to get some money to live off.

I was young then and new nothing of investing, but wish now that I did!

BTW – would you mind sending me details of the ad?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.