Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of 256bw256bw
    Participant
    @256bw

can anyone tell me how a lease option works
    what are the pro’s and con’s for the lessee

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Hi 256bw

You have a fixed period lease of the property so you can/(must) occupy it, and stapled to that is an exclusive option to buy the house at a fixed price for a period into the future. You pay a fee upfront for the option -varies but around 2-4% of the price of the house possibly.

Meanwhile, part of each rental payment you make will be credited/deducted off the price of the house if you exercise your right to buy it and pay the owner out (normal contract of sale at that point). For this reason, payments are higher than normal rental payments.

Under the option you will be responsible for maintenance and for reimbursing the owner for rates and insurance.

The period of the lease is usually matched to the period for which the option is valid, say 5 or 6 years but it is entirely up for negotiation.

Pros IMHO:

You lock in a price today that you have to pay for the house later so you have certainty.
    The option fee is usually deducted off the price if you exercise the option.
    You occupy it and so don’t have to move, nor have a traditional landlord etc.
    You control maintenance and can make sure the value of the property is preserved, or even enhanced if you do work on it before you buy it.
    Bankrupts can secure a property whilst waiting till their bankruptcy period is discharged/concluded, (provided they have income etc).
    When you qualify for a loan you can simply exercise the option and buy the house.
    Usually you can renew the whole agreement for another term if you get to the end of your lease/option period.
    It’s like a forced saving program to build up a deposit or synthetically pay off a house and enjoy living in it at the same time.
    If the market value of the house goes up to mroe than the option price you collect the capital gain or sometimes split it with the owner depending.

Cons might be:

You need the option fee upfront.
    If you choose not to exercise the option (either by defaulting on your payments and thereby invalidating it or just deciding not to buy) the option fee is non-refundable.
    If the market doesn’t improve over the period of the lease and the value of the house is lower than the price under the option when you want to buy.
    You can’t get a loan later on – although you could renew the agreement for another term, sell the option, do a deal with the owner to sell and split the profit etc.

Just my $0.02

Cheers

Skippygirl [biggrin]

Profile photo of 256bw256bw
    Participant
    @256bw

thanks for that info that was great, I now know that this is more than likely the option for us, now all we need to do is find someone that is willing to do it.
    [biggrin]

Participant
    @256bw

some questions about lease options
    what protection do I have as a lessee to guard my money that I put into this house if the owner goes belly up do I loose everything I put in to?
    can a lessor use the property for collateral on another ?
    can I exercise my option to buy at any point in the contract or do I have to wait until the end?

Profile photo of scullymanscullyman
    @scullyman

If you are worried about the vendor going belly up, put it in your contract that all monies are returned to you in that event.
    Yes, the lessor can use the house as collateral as he still technically owns it.
    In most cases you can take your option at anytime. You can insist that it be included in the contract. Be carefull though. You many have agreed to buy the property in four years at $150,000 and it may not be worth that price if you pay early, which means the banks may not lend you the required amount.

Scully

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

256bw,

1. You have a contract. It’s a long term lease and the mortgagee will probably step into the owenr’s shoes and collect the rents/profits. Having possession of the property should also give you some leverage to enforce your option contract.
    2. Yes they can as you haven’t bought it until you exercise your option. Any landlord can refinance their property whilst you rent it can’t they?
    3. Yes.

Cheers
    skippygirl

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

Lease options can be structured amny different ways, the option price can be fixed, moving up with the market or reducing like a PI loan. They can be short – 2yrs or long = 25 years etc. And you can sublease so don’t actually have to live there (if your lease permits).

I beleive that you would probably lose everything if the owner went bankrupt. The mortgagee would take back the property and kick out the tenant regardless of the lease*, You could have a caveat on title which would prevent the owner from mortgaging it again without your permission, but these aren’t really secure. I don’t know about Scully’s idea of putting a clause in the contract that all monies be returned to you if they go belly up – but it sounds like a good idea and should be discussed with a soliticor.

(* one of my clients was foreclosen upon by a bank for a property in QLD recently. The tenants were on a long lease with 2 years remaining, but they were kicked out. But this was just a standard rental with no option agreement)

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @256bw

thanks for the info guys I appreciate all the help
    256bw[biggrin]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.