All Topics / Help Needed! / Rosebery Tasmania, a must buy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

Just jokes.

Does anyone agree with Bernard Salt’s population predictions for Sydney, i.e that growth rates are actually decreasing (refer to his latest article in the BRW)?

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Yorker,

I made a post on this called “Salt on Sydney” earlier- here’s the link to the article:

Bernard Salt, one of Australia’s leading demographers, comments on Sydney. It’s a very interesting article, I think, about immigration, housing affordability etc.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1199723.htm

kay henry

Profile photo of YorkerYorker
    @yorker

I agree with parts of it, especially that Sydney is losing its entrepreneurial edge.

@kay-henry

Yorker,

With industrial trends such as outsourcing, people can work anywhere… so maybe some sydney or more global markets are getting workers from other countries to do the work more cheaply. That’s a global trend, but it will certainly have an influence on immigration.

As far as say, the International student market- well, that is growing (the local undergraduate market is shrinking). But now, with ever-increasing fees and less government funding to Universities, the Institutions are looking to other markets- the offshore educational market is a huge growth area. Thus, Universities are taking the market to International students. It’s possible that this trend will mean that IS’s choose to stay in their home country in the future- and get Australian university qualifications, and not have the expense of living in sydney.

Also, as Salt says… it’s so expensive to buy a house in Sydney- that HAS to have some effect on immigration. Still, 35,000 new residents in the city isn’t too bad. It’s not a ghost town yet :)

kay henry

@yorker

I have to agree with him, Sydney is definately an unaffordable market at the moment. I am also concerned that banks are black balling certain postcodes and simply refuse to lend on them.

@kay-henry

Well, that kind of micro-economic reform from banks will certainly stop over-supply- hehe. No borrowing = no demand.

Yorker, which banks are not lending to which suburbs? Come on, be specific. I know LVR’s are 70% for a bunch of inner suburbs… but refusing to lend? Put your policy where your mouth is, Yorker :)

I guess some people will be borrowing direct from Triguboff, although he is slowing down building as well. Actually, I saw some apartment yesterday- 2.25% finance- pfft- homeymoon period, I guess. I’ll have to check out details properly.

kay henry

@yorker

I receive various “In house” lender publications. Lenders are refusing to finance many inner city purchases

@kay-henry

Which lenders, Yorker? Which suburbs? You can stop playing International Man of Mystery now :)

kay henry

@kay-henry

Yorker,

I saw your name on the list and wonder if you might answer. I’ve posted on here a few times before, an article that details which Banks loan and the LVR for different suburbs.

I am interested that Banks are now “refusing” to lend in areas of sydney… Please let the Forum know which Banks and which suburbs so that this can be verified.

Thanks,

kay henry

@yorker

Kaye,

I’ll email it to you. Postcodes from 2000 to 2010 are under close scrutiny.

@kay-henry

hehe Yorker… as I thought. Yes, lemme think…

Sydney CBD 2001
    * Sydney 2000
    * Haymarket 2000
    * Darling Harbour 2000
    * Circular Quay 2000
    * Ultimo 2007
    * Broadway 2007
    * Chippendale 2008
    * Pyrmont 2009
    * Surry Hills 2010
    * East Sydney 2010

and let’s not forget Alexandria and Green Square…

There’s a big difference, Yorker, in “scrutiny” and in Banks not lending. Sorry- I don’t believe ya :)

kay henry

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

I think it is mainly the mortgage insurers that won’t lend for those areas. Hence any securitised lender that has all of their loans mortgage insured cannot lend in those areas – eg RAMS, Macquarie Bank etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@kay-henry

Thanks Terry :) Really, I think if you can’t muster up 30% for a property in the inner-ring of sydney… then maybe you can’t afford that particular mortgage. LMI sucks for large mortgages.

kay henry

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I get why lenders won’t lend on the most overpriced suburbs of Sydney right now until they have ‘corrected’ a bit.

joy to the world

@yorker

Indeed mini mogul. Kaye your obviously right, with regard to 30% deposit, I think in this market a little safety net is essential. If you have a 30% deposit you won’t have a problem, a number of my clients have had issues because of the fact they were trying to borrow 90%.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.