All Topics / Help Needed! / Depreciation of an IP that was a PPOR ????????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Scotty BScotty B
    @scotty-b

I will be renting my home whilst working away.

The property will be rented for a minimum of 12 months.

I am unsure at this stage if I will return to the property.

I spoke to an account and he told me I could depricate the build and fixtures/fittings and make a claim on my tax return for the period the property is rented – I’d didn’t think this was allowed by the ATO????

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Why not? If it is income producing, then you are entitled to make a claim for these legitimately.

You can also keep claiming it as your main residence and sell tax free as long as you do not rent it out for more than 6 years.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of GambiniGambini
    @gambini

it sure is buddy jyou can even claim for trips to go to your property in emergencies whether they happen or not wink wink

[buz2]

[cigar]

[baaa]

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Hi ScottyB,
    Strictly speaking, the depreciation clock starts ticking on your fixtures and fittings (Depreciable Assets) when you purchase the property. So there will be some lost depreciation for the period you lived there. The building itself depreciates at a flat rate per year from the date of construction. NB it would need to have been built after July 85 to be eligible for the building write-off.
    Any questions, feel free to call.
    Scott – Depreciator 1300 660033

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Hi ScottyB,
    Strictly speaking, the depreciation clock starts ticking on your fixtures and fittings (Depreciable Assets) when you purchase the property. So there will be some lost depreciation for the period you lived there. The building itself depreciates at a flat rate per year from the date of construction. NB it would need to have been built after July 85 to be eligible for the building write-off.
    Any questions, feel free to call.
    Scott – Depreciator 1300 660033

Profile photo of waynel2waynel2
    @waynel2

Hi Terry,

In regards to the 6 years time frame does that start when you first move out of your PPOR and rent it out, or does the 6 years restart if you move back into your PPOR for a while and rent it out again?

It’s just that I have a rental which was my PPOR, then I rented it, moved back into it, now I’m renting again…

cheers

wayne

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Wayne. Yes it starts when you move out and then if you move back in and move out again it restarts! But you can only have one PPOR at one time. So if you are renting now while renting out you other house which was your PPOR, then you may want to consider moving back for a short time in before 6 years is up.

Have a look at Tax Determination 95/5.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.