All Topics / Help Needed! / Serviced Apartments 7% Plus Return

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of Desk TopDesk Top
    @desk-top

I have recently been looking at serviced apartments in the city of melbourne. Most are securely leased to major hotel or “serviced apartment” chains (15-25 yr) lease contracts in place. Tennant pays council rates, body corporate fees water rates, all outgoings. No annual management fees, letting fees or maintenance costs. 3 – 4% annual Rental increases, therefore 7 – 8% nett return is very achievable. Does anyone have any experience with such investments? Are these properties worth investing in??

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Desk Top

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I can’t coment on the city nor the country really with ‘serviced appartments’ I know of one guy who is about to biuld two of them out the back of his house, because he has a great view of a peaceful gum tree valley and creek area.

He expects to pay $70,000 for both apartments ( he has a lot of contacts and is getting things done cheaply) and put them on Strat title and says he will rent them at $400 a week. Which I have doubts about, but am going to keep in contact with him as he biulds them and see how he goes with them.

This is in a country town and a place where I have never seen ‘Serviced Appartments’ there before. So he’s having a go at doing something new for the area of about 12,000 population.

I imagine they would do well in tauresty places.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would be VERY wary of anything like this.

These are generally hard to resell and this limits their price, they are also hard to get good finance for. And you would be limited with what you could do with them – ie rent them out yourself, management etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Desk TopDesk Top
    @desk-top

$400 p/w would be a great return if he can pull it off.

The apartments I have been looking at are with established hotel chains. You would be bound by an existing lease agreement and the property is managed by the hotel. Your income is set in the agreement with annual increases. The thing I find attractive about these kinds of investments is you dont have to worry about finding tennants or worry about maintenance costs etc… You buy the apartment with a long term tennant in place.
    7 – 8% Plus Nett ruturn is not bad in my book, hassle free

Desk Top

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Desk Top,

Sounds to me like your mind is made up, and you are sold on these apartments already, and if that is so, why are you asking our opinion???

Generally if I am that confident about a purchase, I don’t need anyone else’s view on it. Maybe you still have doubts???

Jo

@desk-top

I do like the idea however I was not aware that such investments are hard to find Finance for, like Terryw kindly pointed out. I like to know people that have invested in similar apartments to make me 100% confident….you can never get enough info

Desk Top

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Fair comment Desk Top,

Guess I read your post as being adamantly “sold” on the idea. If nothing else, posting your question may have forced you to look closer at your venture, and in so doing has alerted you to possible dangers in such purchases.

Good luck on your decision.

Cheers,

Jo

@desk-top

thanks jo

btw Jaffasoft, i really like your property calculator….fantastic idea

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

Desktop,
    I onced looked into a similar investment in Brisbane but decided not to go ahead because the motel chain could force me to refurbish the unit every 7 years. At a cost of $25,000. Nevertheless I watched the progress over the years with interest. It turned out that the company offering the guaranteed return had no assets so the guarantee was worthless. The market also became floated with similar investments so bought the prices down. Then once investors started to feel the pinch they started to try to get out, further bringing down prices.

Julia Hartman
    http://www.bantacs.com.au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Desktop,

If it is a good enough investment it should be able to stand on its own two feet – without a guarantee.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Desk Top,

Check out if you can opt out of the agreement with the chain and rent privately (although you’ll probably find then, that the rental yield might be lower and you’ll have to pay outgoings). Basically, you’ll be buying a motel room in the deal… although some of these serviced apartments are now 1 and 2-bedroom units, so you’re actually buying a “proper” apartment.

Look at the Annual Reports for the past decade of the Company that is running it, and who trheir clients are- as in, are they working in conjunction with a University etc… You can even check out the Council/Senate papers of the University to check the agreement (although thayt might be Commercial in Confidence and not accessible to you).

If it stacks up, and your solicitor thinks it’s ok… then I would consider it. Really depends on the unit itself- really, a 2-bedder might be worthwhile, whereas an 18 square metre hotel room could be a killer.

If ALL outgoings are paid for you… well, it may be a very low maintenance asset.

kay henry

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

First red flag – “Melbourne apartment”

Second red flag – “leased as hotel/motel rooms” = minimal to zero upside in terms of capital growth.

Third red flag – apparently reliant on 3-4 percent annual rent increases [which is not likely on an ongoing basis].

Fourth red flag – the “major” hotel or serviced apartment chains are handing the risk over to independent owners. If the property was a solid investment, they would want ownership.

Fifth, but not final, red flag – thinking this investment would/could be “hassle free”.

Having experience in hotel lease/ownership – and working with some of the biggest brands in the business, I can assure you there is no “guaranteed” rental/room rate increase [revenue] on an annual basis. The rate is very much reliant on occupancy trends and competition, alongside other factors.

The length of the lease, i.e. 15-25 years is somewhat irrelevant. To remain competitive at best, the property will need to undergo an upgrade/renovation every 5-10 years. Is this cost incurred by the lessee or apartment owner?

Who is the “established hotel chain”?

I don’t mean to insinuate that this is a bad investment, but based on the information provided the reality is it will probably end up this way.

You need to track down some of the large number of unsophisticated [term used in the business] investors in Melbourne who have lost money in these deals.

Conduct in-depth due diligence, be very cautious moving forward – in terms of their contract provisions – and most importantly, have a clear “exit strategy” [before handing over a cent] which can be implemented at any time without losing the shirt off your back.

— Michael

Profile photo of janpjanp
    @janp

Be very wary of any serviced apartment deal.We have had our managed apartment on the market for nearly a year and,despite buyer interest,the major hurdle is the banks’unwillingness to lend more than 60%.

@desk-top

thank you everyone for your advice.

ive looked into the contracts for a number of serviced apartments in the melbourne CBD. the deal usually is this.

terms are 15 – 25yrs with annual increases. however:

each term is based on 5yr only. thereafter the tenant (being the hotel chain) issues a rental notice before the end of the term to stipulate the new rental rate. very true, no garantee that it will go UP!!! you can dispute the new rate however then you must pay for an independant valuator to determine the current market rate!

i also found it interesting that both the agent or the manager of the hotel chain couldnt answer a simple question, “what if they dont renew for a further 5yrs”??? this is my major fear. it will be very difficult to rent the apartment out, and if you did, would receive such a low yeild competing with all the other major apartments nearby. the only reason they suggest for not renewing would be if another hotel chain took over the whole complex. does that mean they will take over all the existing lease? if not, will they want to negotiate another deal?

there is nothing in the contract regarding spending more money in the future for furniture. the deal is that they (the tenant) will pay for all maintenance and if they replace anything, they will own the new item.

i am really interested to know why the hotel chains dont buy the apartments themselves. why on earth would they sell the rooms off to private investors and then lease them back. doesnt really make much sense.

very interesting comments and im still interested to have my lawyer look through the paper work more carefully.

its obvious that these apartments will attract very little if any capital growth and that you’re limited with what you can do with it. the only aspect that is attractive to me is the ruturn and no out-goings, and if you can receive annual rental growth. however the down side is that you only really have one client, and if that client falls, i believe your investment will be worth very little.

oh and the hotel chains are “Quest Apartments” and “Pacific International”

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by Desk Top:

no garantee that the it will go UP!!!

Hi desktop,

As I understand it there is no guarantee the rent won’t go down either.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

@desk-top

hi derek,

have you had any experience with such property investments? or do you know anyone that has??

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi desk top

I’ve had dealings with Quest and have dealt in this area.

If you like email me…happy to help if i can.

regards
    alf

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“you can dispute the new rate however then you must pay for an independant valuator to determine the current market rate!”

— The hotel chain will maintain a room rate that they are confident will sell – and achieve the required occupancy.

The rate can decline – or discounts apply throughout the year, to achieve target occupancy and revenues.

There is no guarantee the rate will increase – and unless stated otherwise, there is no guarantee it will not decrease.

If the hotel chain restricted itself in either case, the risk would be too high – because they cannot predict market conditions including competition.

“it will be very difficult to rent the apartment out, and if you did, would receive such a low yeild competing with all the other major apartments nearby.”

— A prime reason sophisticated investors stay clear of these investment scenarios.

“another hotel chain took over the whole complex. does that mean they will take over all the existing lease? if not, will they want to negotiate another deal?”

— Any hotel chain experienced in these lease arrangements has sound exit strategies which can be implemented at any time at minimal cost.

It is almost certain that any other chain/group acquiring the head lease will have the option to restructure this lease.

However, this should be disclosed to the property owners in the purchase contract – it is often a small provision which is easily disregarded but very important.

“there is nothing in the contract regarding spending more money in the future for furniture.”

— Furniture is only one expense. Rooms occupied on a nightly or short-term basis require regular maintanence.

Aside from general repairs, who covers the bill if the room is trashed?

“the deal is that they (the tenant) will pay for all maintenance”

— How do they define “maintenance” – make sure who pays for what [taking everything into consideration] is clearly defined in the agreement.

“and if they replace anything, they will own the new item.”

— I understand you are referring to “chattels” i.e. furniture, appliances, etc and based on your comments the apartment is furnished.

If the lessee replaces an item then retains ownership, this adversely affects the value of your property because you paid for a furnished apartment which includes these chattels.

Needless to say the chattels generally incur a premium with these transactions.

“i am really interested to know why the hotel chains dont buy the apartments themselves. why on earth would they sell the rooms off to private investors and then lease them back.”

— There are hotel chains which only lease because they specialize in managing hotels and not owning property. Or they do not have the financial resources to acquire the property.

However, the above scenarios generally coincide with one party/partnership owning the property.

The managed apartment scenario discussed here often reflects “risk management”. The developer is handing over his risk to the apartment owners, and the lessee is handing over their risk to the apartment owners.

If the market turns due to oversupply, etc, the developer is clear and the lessee has the option of selling or terminating the lease – which can result in a loss. Either way the apartment owners generally incur the greater cost.

“its obvious that these apartments will attract very little if any capital growth and that you’re limited with what you can do with it.”

— This comment in itself is a key reason why the apartment is not a good investment.

Forget passive cash-flow which may cover your outgoings over time. If there is no capital growth, there is no point investing.

Wealth derives from “capital growth” not passive income – although both can be realized in an investment.

— Michael

@desk-top

thank you michael for all your advice, appreciate you taking time out to inform me.

i have talked to many other investors about serviced apartments and most say the same thing. “stay AWAY”!!!!!! everything you have mentioned makes complete sense now.

not having had alot of investing experience in property my first attraction was the rental return. “LONG TERM LEASE” “HASSLE FREE”!!!

i thought that having a long term lease in place with one client, no out-goings and rental increases no management fees sounds too good especially if you’re looking for high yield %….

however looking closer into the agreement there is very little room to move for the owner…the tenant has all the control and they have very easy ways out. ie, simply by not paying the rent can default the lease agreement!!!!!!!! or a letter stating they are not renewing the further 5 yr term. then what???

i do thank you all again for your comments and advice.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I think the city Serviced Appartments are different scope and arrena to the country ones! I haven’t really heard of many in the country , so i can’t speak of much!

I hope to go down and see how this guy is going, hopefully soon. They should be biult now; he said it was going to take three weeks until he got started and it’s about 8 weeks since i last spoke to him , so they might be finished.

About his situation:

I calculated the cost of it in a worst case senario and he would still come out in front (CF+) if he has to just rent them at the regular rental price and that including 6 weeks vaccancy. It’s in a good town where getting them rented won’t be a problem.

The serviced appartment bit is to get the top dollar or ‘The cream of the crop’. But if worst comes to worst he could just rent it on a weekly or monthly basis. That’s what i like about the idea, because he’s biult or biulding it cheap, he can rent it for Positive Cashflow anyway.

So his risk of doing it this way is minimal. Looking forward to going down and seeing him and getting all the details to see the update on where he’s up to!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.