All Topics / General Property / Bad R/E agent in Prospect, SA. Advice?

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

You said –

If we are paying the agent $5000 – $10000 to sell our house, then we expect them to be the ones doing the research and telling us what’s happening.

I disagree. You need to do your research. Its you who decides on what price to set. You need to work with the agent. I too work full time but on weekends I spoke to the agent and had regular chats – I called them. My brother about 6 months ago could not sell his place. I sold mine about 4 weeks ago. The difference being I consulted and worked with my agent, while my brother did nothing.

Profile photo of FnomnaFnomna
    @fnomna

By the way, we are both young/inexperienced and this is our first home and first attempt at selling. As such, my views about the whole process are only based on this one experience – hence the request for advice.

Thanks to all of you here for your replies so far! It has given us a lot to think about and remember for next time, if there is one! I look forward to filing this away and reading it when it’s all over. (The abusive messages will be an intersting listen too).

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I hope you did not interpret my advice as abusive.

I have only sold two properties before. My PPOR and one investment property.

And I too found it very frustrating and stressful. Hang it there and refer to this thread later.

@fnomna

Not at all yack – I have appreciated everyone’s comments. It is very interesting to hear about other people’s experiences.

We can afford to hang on to it, so we will hang in there and not be pressured.[biggrin]

Have heard of steps to tighten regulations for RE agents. Might have to do some reading on that too. As I remember, Qld and Vic have started – wonder if it has been any better since?

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

I sympathise with your dilemma phenomena, and I did take note that you said it was your first sale.
    I tend to agree with you that you are paying the agent for their supposed professional service, in your case you copped a lemon.
    You can be as proactive as you like, but in the end if you are dealing with a rude, abusive person ( firstly you don’t want to talk or communicate with them, its only human instinct) then you don’t stand much chance or a successful outcome.
    But I would say don’t let it put you off, chalk it up to experience, as not all agents are like the one you copped.
    BTW, is is standard practice that you pay all the marketing expenses.?…in WA its negotiable
    , and because its so competitive, most agent wear the cost themselves.
    KP

@fnomna
    You can be as proactive as you like, but in the end if you are dealing with a rude, abusive person ( firstly you don’t want to talk or communicate with them, its only human instinct) then you don’t stand much chance or a successful outcome.

kp, that’s exactly what we felt. Next time we will hopefully nip things in the bud as they appear – or better yet set down exactly what we will not accept in terms of service and performance. That’s where the Jenman idea of the Customer Service Guarantee appeals.

But I would say don’t let it put you off, chalk it up to experience, as not all agents are like the one you copped.

And we have just started with property. They have shot themselves in the foot and definitely won’t be handling any of our future properties/sales!

Then there’s word-of-mouth. Anyone we speak to about buying and selling R/E will not hear good words from us about this agent. Most Adelaide people who read this forum and keep their eye on property can probably work out which agent it is anyway. If it makes them ask questions before dealing with this agent then that’s at least one positive!

With advertising costs, they weren’t negotiable with the 5 agents we spoke to. But we could get them to match other agents’ commissions.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Fnomna,

I think it’s easier to get the price you want in a rising market. Remember during the boom, people would just create a figure, and the property might go for many thousands more. Now, in a declining market, everything has changed. Remember that, on here, as sellers, we want to get the best the market will pay, and as buyers, you have people lowballing and paying the cheapest price the vendor will accept.

It’s a pity that your first experience was such a bad one. I would read a lot of books about selling property. There are many on the market. I don;t have an expectation that a property will sell itself. If it did, I’d sell it privately. I pay the RE the many thousands of dollars to sell it for me. But I then work hard to develop a good relationship with the agent, and, as with everything, one often has to gently spell out expectations to them. All vendors are different- some are more laissez-faire, some are more hands on.

When I sold a property recently, the only feedback I got was about people who made an offer. If 35 people came to your open houses, the RE can’t force them to make a bid. The fellow will only speak to you about the ones who did.

If your property is sound, then it will sell. But many properties are now taking twice as long to sell. I imagine there will be plenty of people such as yourself, who, in this downturned market, will want their property sold quickly, but sometimes it takes time.

kay henry

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Fromna,

On quick observation, one of two things may be hindering your property sale. Either your asking price is too high and/or the property isn’t being marketed properly (or both). Quick solutions, review your reserve, see out the contract with current RE and when it expires get a new one and/or multi-list.

Bear in mind, the market has cooled. It is a time of “uncertainty” and as such people are reluctant to spend with the possibility of rate hikes looming.

Cheers,

Jo

@fnomna

thanks guys.
    yes we will soon be reviewing our price in preparation for a 2 week (3 weekend) auction campaign and then if it doesn’t sell, hang on to it until it’s a better time to sell.

we would have loved to (an intended to) create a good working relationship with the first agent. But the thing that really stuffed this up was a dodgy tradesman who they recommended making false claims, threatening to take us to court and put a caveat on our property! To top it off, after presenting our evidence to the agent, they took his side instead of ours!

So it just went downhill from there.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Fnomna,

I recommend you be vary careful about pursuing an auction strategy in the current market.

Auctions work best when the property is unique or distinctive in some way and there are a number of people interesting in buying the property.

You really want to avoid paying good money to hold an auction & having no bidders.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

@fnomna
    Originally posted by Aceyducey:

Fnomna,

I recommend you be vary careful about pursuing an auction strategy in the current market.

Auctions work best when the property is unique or distinctive in some way and there are a number of people interesting in buying the property.

You really want to avoid paying good money to hold an auction & having no bidders.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

– Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

yep – if it gets close to auction time and it looks like it won’t happen – then we’ll reassess our options.
    One positive from the process is it may at least reveal exactly what everyone out there is currently willing to pay.

Profile photo of Boyler_RoomBoyler_Room
    Participant
    @boyler_room

Fnomna,

I may be way out of line asking this, but why are you selling? Is it to realise your capital gain to upgrade your PPOR? (I’m assuming the house is your PPOR and not an IP). Have you considered refinancing if you’ve got enough equity in the place?

How much have you had to spend so far on marketing the place? When does your agency agreement expire?

Regards,
    Boyler Room

Duckling Business & Investment Network
    http://www.duckling.com.au
    Why Walk When You Can Fly?

@fnomna

yep – we decided to just sell this one and realise the capital gain. Then when we are ready, find a more suitable property as an IP.(This one would be CF negative and we’d have a big mortgage on the new house too)
    If it doesn’t sell at auction then we’ll refinance and rent it out.

See
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11649

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.