All Topics / Help Needed! / First time user

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of HectorHector
    @hector

Hello.
    Im Hector. I have just started my search for some positive cash flow investments over the last month or so. I have spent huge amounts of time on the net checking places like realestate.com etc and havent had much luck as yet. I have most probably come across some good deals but just havent noticed them yet. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for me in order to use my time on the net searching more productively. This is my first bash at using a computer and my skills are not to flash as yet.
    Thank you.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

HI Hector,

Just had someone else asking exactly the same question – have a look at

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/11723.html

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Hector,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

[8D]

OK – I’d use the deals that you find as a way to crunch the mnumbers so you become familiar with how to put a deal together and how one propety can return more or less than another by adding on an extra bedroom.

Just play around be be wary as the ‘net is a big time sucker.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of HectorHector
    @hector

Thanks for the reply Steve. I read your book and found it to be very interesting. In your book you wrote how you and Dave concentrated on Ballarat at the start of your investing adventure. Would you recommend rather than looking for places everywhere like a crazy person to find a town which you think would be a good place to start and to research it and just concentrate on it and try and find deals there. At the moment I am reading as much info as i acan and i am hearing that Queensland is a good place to invest aswell as W.A then Tasmania then N.Z. I realize there are probably great deals in all of these places but I feel I am chasing my tale a bit as i work pretty long hours and I am doing this after hours and on top of that my computer skills are not all that great. I hope I dont sound like a big complainer!

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Heya hector :) I am not Steve, but I’ll add some of my own opinions :)

Remember that Steve bought in a much flatter market and prices have risen since then. We could have all focussed on one market then and made heaps of cash, because the market was flat. You could still focus on one market now- for example, I was just looking at Mt Isa on realestate.com.au, and the income/yield is pretty good… but the houses… [blink] hehe- not pretty :)

I wouldn’t focus on one market myself. I see different things in different markets. A cheap regional place means I don’t have to have the capital outlay, and the rental return is ok. A lifestyle place can get you CG and a long-term rental place, and a city place can get long-term CG and a stable market of renters.

Some here will go purely on yield. Others will look at property for it’s long-term prospects. It just depends on what you want from property.

As for being time-poor… well, once you feel you have the confidence to find what you’re looking for, it doesn’t take much time at all. realestate.com.au is your friend- you can use it as a starting base to see what’s out there. I think people have to *make* time to look at property. If you were going into shares, you’d have to spend time researching, and it’s the same with property. Either you can make time, or rely on a buyer’s agent to do it for you. But if you pay for a buyer’s agent, it will be increasing their skills, but not increasing yours.

It can be hard for a beginner, but I find most of my learning comes from this forum, and from reading a few books when I need to. But property ain’t a 5-minute skill- it’s a long-term passion, I think :)

kay henry

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Hector

Nice post Kay[thumbsup2]

I would just like to add that you need to decide what your goal is and prepare a plan, such as mine is to produce a stream of income. I do this by buying CF+ regional and rural properties.

As you become more experienced you can change your plan as we are about to, there is an area not far from where we live that missed the last property boom and is most definately set for the next cycle. We will watch it until the area starts to change and then buy neg geared for the CG.

Steve gave you the most valuable peice of advice, learn to crunch the numbers because this is what can make a deal. You also need to learn about value adding to your properties to increase the rental return, such as a new bedroom, second bathroom yadda yadda!

Good luck, stick at it, despite what the nay sayers say the deals are still out there.

CHeers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of camdercamder
    Participant
    @camder

Hi Hector,
    My experience is limited and I believe the net is purely a means of finding out abotu cost etc in the area you want to go. As an example I have been looking since early March and have found 7 properties but, all the net was good for, was to give me a guide. The town that we bought the first property in has 8 Real Estae Agent and only one advertising on the internet. (The other agents love him because he brings people to town who then buy through the other agengies also. Cheer Len

@hector
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Remember that Steve bought in a much flatter market and prices have risen since then. We could have all focussed on one market then and made heaps of cash, because the market was flat. You could still focus on one market now- for example, I was just looking at Mt Isa on realestate.com.au, and the income/yield is pretty good… but the houses… [blink] hehe- not pretty :)

I wouldn’t focus on one market myself. I see different things in different markets. A cheap regional place means I don’t have to have the capital outlay, and the rental return is ok. A lifestyle place can get you CG and a long-term rental place, and a city place can get long-term CG and a stable market of renters.

Some here will go purely on yield. Others will look at property for it’s long-term prospects. It just depends on what you want from property.

As for being time-poor… well, once you feel you have the confidence to find what you’re looking for, it doesn’t take much time at all. realestate.com.au is your friend- you can use it as a starting base to see what’s out there. I think people have to *make* time to look at property. If you were going into shares, you’d have to spend time researching, and it’s the same with property. Either you can make time, or rely on a buyer’s agent to do it for you. But if you pay for a buyer’s agent, it will be increasing their skills, but not increasing yours.

It can be hard for a beginner, but I find most of my learning comes from this forum, and from reading a few books when I need to. But property ain’t a 5-minute skill- it’s a long-term passion, I think :)

kay henry

@hector

kay henry
    Thank you very much guys for your responses. I really appreciate you

@hector

Hello Kay.
    Thank you for your advice. I am not sure I am replying properly here so i hope you get this message.
    Hector.

kay henry

@hector

Thanks for the message leigh.
    I also want to invest for cashflow. My wife and i are recently married and will be looking at having children in the next couple of years. I would ideally like for her not to work again after that is she wishes, (which i think she will).some extra income will be an advantage to help pay off the home in which we live.
    Happy investing leigh

Originally posted by LeighK:

Hi Hector

Nice post Kay[thumbsup2]

I would just like to add that you need to decide what your goal is and prepare a plan, such as mine is to produce a stream of income. I do this by buying CF+ regional and rural properties.

As you become more experienced you can change your plan as we are about to, there is an area not far from where we live that missed the last property boom and is most definately set for the next cycle. We will watch it until the area starts to change and then buy neg geared for the CG.

Steve gave you the most valuable peice of advice, learn to crunch the numbers because this is what can make a deal. You also need to learn about value adding to your properties to increase the rental return, such as a new bedroom, second bathroom yadda yadda!

Good luck, stick at it, despite what the nay sayers say the deals are still out there.

CHeers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.