All Topics / General Property / How’s your Housing Stress?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

… Or that of your tenants?

“Private renters represented two-thirds of those in housing stress. Sole parents were the social group at highest risk.

“Those considered in housing stress spend more than 30 per cent of disposable income on housing and are in the bottom 40 per cent of income earners. One-third of them live in NSW.”

From this article:

“Housing Eats up 40% of Income”

smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/27/1088274627516.html?oneclick=true

kay henry

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Kay,
    your ‘finger on the pulse’ research info never ceases to amaze me and help benefit everyone!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

It’s called “reading the paper” Gatsby… not that hard, as I’m sure Kay would agree.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Thanks kay,
    Good article….
    “The effects of the boom could take 10 or 20 years to unwind”
    That’s a pretty powerful statement

Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

A good point is made that it is the renters that are effectively being discriminated against, but then again with all the tax cuts given to property investors to over supply accommodation, I would say that rents are artificially held at about half (perhaps even less) of what a balanced market would set them at.

the day will come when the govt cannot continue to justify spending tax revenues to help people buy their first home. it may come as a shock to many (as it is ingrained in our national psyche)that the great aussie dream is a ‘dream’ not a birth right. as discussed on here before, I am sure that we will end up in the situation where families pass their mortgages to their children and people take out 10 year residential lease and so on. it really won’t be the end of the world!

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

this is a great article too:

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/27/1088274624058.html?from=storylhs&oneclick=true

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo
    Originally posted by AusProp:

I would say that rents are artificially held at about half (perhaps even less) of what a balanced market would set them at.

But couldn’t the same facts be interpretted so that it would indicate that properties cost double what they should ?

I don’t think there is any argument about how unbalanced the property / rental market is right now. It will have to adjust itself, but picking how it will do it, and over what period, is a crystal ball job.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.