All Topics / Legal & Accounting / could meals &/or accom for workers be ded’l?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Ok,so i’v asked if meals & accom as a landlord are deductable-but what about for workers,that i pay for?
    For example,if i buy them lunches (so they dont have to go off-site, or just for doing a good job)
    Or if i buy them a gift as a “thanks”?
    Or,even better,what if i buy them s/thing in lieu of cah payment?? (eg, tiler gets a gift voucher instead of cash, painter gets alcohol instead,etc)
    [confused2]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Excuse me, sorry to rain on your parade Misty1, but even if you could claim such expenses as a tax deduction (and I’m not saying you can or can’t) but justifying some of them may be a tad difficult, especially if you get audited.

I personally would exercise a great deal of caution in claiming some of these tax deductions, for if they are not considered legitimate they could land you in the soup!!! Seek professional tax advice on this matter before paying out good money or making gift offerings that could otherwise be deemed (by the tax dept) as nothing more than mere “niceties”.

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I am not sure, but would think you would have to pay fringe benefits tax on food.

In certain circumstances you can give meal allowances to the workers. They can buy their own meals, but can fully deduct the allowance if spent.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.