All Topics / Legal & Accounting / One for the negative gearers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

If the moderator dumps this post I’ll understand..

A lot of agribusiness schemes get a 100% tax deduction in the first year, taking advanatge of primary producer tax concessions and ther like.

Therefore is the following legal?

If a top marginal tax payer borrows to say, buy $50000 worth of allotments in eucalyptus trees near the end of the FY, I assume then they will get in effect, up to a 47% disount based on the reduced income and a big tax rebate.

But given that you *borrowed* to make this investment, the tax advantages are the same as negative gearing a property. Eventually your investment will return a profit, but in the meantine you can claim any reasonable costs in making the investment.

So.. can you then claim the interest on that $50000 as well?

Its kind of like double dipping, where, unlike property you have little to no cashflow for 5-8 years. (Some schemes do give you some degree of cashflow however).

curious..

[email protected]

EZ-Rent. The free tax and cashflow simulator for Australian property investors. Version 2 out now!
    http://www.ez-rent.com

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Ez-rent,

Yes, the interest on the borrowed funds are deductible. I have recently invested in olives and done the same thing. In fact the amount borrowed for this was $47k, P&I taken over 7 years.

With the olives, the cashflows for the investment, included a $26k claimable loss in the first year (not including the interest component of the funds borrowed).

James

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Some of these schemes are very possible – however I would ensure that any that I invested in had obtained a Tax Office ruling, or you will find that all tax deductions are disallowed, and you get to pay a nice little (not) fine as well!!

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.