All Topics / General Property / Trust, company and tax

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of fjficmfjficm
    @fjficm

you set up company and trust

positive cash flow assets 50 K

you earn at top tax bracket eg 100K

how do you get taxed?

do you

1) get taxed at company rate of 30 % and you as beneficiary gets the rest of the money

2) goes into the trust and benefits to beneficiary and they get taxed AFTER at their tax bracket

3) depends on the type of trust

AND if it depends on the type of trust what type gets what etc. pls explain im confused

cheers

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The company is just the trustee of the trust, the trust is the ‘entity’ earning the money, but trusts do not get taxed. What happens is the trust deducts expenses and any profit left over is distributed to the beneficiaries – at the trustees discretion (if a discretioanry trust).

So in the above example, if $50,000 was left over after all expenses this would have to be distributed. If you do not have any beneficaries on low tax rates (generally any relative), then all this money would go ontop of your income and you would pay about $25,000 tax. In this case you could distribute the $50,000 to a company you have jsut setup and pay $15,000 tax (30%). But if you had 9 nephews and neices who were going to uni (ie adults) and not working, then you may pay no tax at all by distributing to them.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of fjficmfjficm
    @fjficm

thx terry,

just to test my understanding

so if at the end of the tax year i have 50K total

i have to look at my poential beneficiaries and see if i can offset enough tax.

cos if i have only a couple, i might be better off to give the 50K to the company ive setup and get taxed at 30% earned income and then distribute it to myself(ie without the 47% tax rate)

is that right?

Also

can i for eg give 25K to a beneficiary before getting taxed at 30% and distribute the remainder 25K to the company to get taxed at 30%

thx terry

Profile photo of Supa FreakSupa Freak
    @supa-freak

Sorry can i tack this on to this most interesting post,
    Terry, when income is allocated to a trusts beneficiaries (?) is the money actually theirs.Can the Trust appointee (me) still use it even though i have ‘given’ it to the bennes, or is it all just paper play

Participant
    @terryw

fjficm

I beleive that is correct. You, or the trustee, can distribute as you see fit – any percentage you like. So if you have some bennies give them as much as they can handle, then the rest could be diverted into a company.

Supa Freak. You technically are giving them the money, but they may give it back to you. Usually it is just a paper entry, and you may give them a bit for their troubles. bear in they they have to include this money in their tax return and may have to pay tax on it.

btw, I am not an accountant, so this may be wrong.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

fjficm

if you distribute money to the company, and get taxed at 30%, if you then give that to yourself as a dividend, you will still pay your marginal rate of tax on it.

I guess if you were planning on reinvesting, you could distribute to the company, who would then lend it back to the trust to reinvest.

Bearing in mind that that money then becomes an asset of the company, which can be called upon by creditors etc. etc.

Cheers
    Mel

@fjficm

thx mel

ok heres my understanding and questions and pls correct me if im wrong

Appointer – me

Trust – (me) Pty Ltd

Bennies – mum, sis and ?can it be me or (me)Pty Ltd ie can (me) pty ltd be be both a trustee and beneficiary or will i have to make another company of a different name?

setup hybrid discretionary – so i can negative gear – ?still dont get how this works

salary paid into ABN – that means im an employee of the company and earning for the company and getting taxed @ 30%

cheers

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Mel

You are right that the Pty Ltd Company will pay tax at the Company Rate of 30% on its profits.

If you distribute the profit from the Company to yourself you will received a franking credit for the tax already paid and only get taxed on the difference between your marginal rate and 30%.

fjficm

I think if you reread Terry’s post it might make things a little clearer for you. The Pty Ltd Company is the Trustee of the Trust.

If you distrubute to relatives they will have to include this deemed income in their tax return. Remember older relatives maybe in receipt of pension entitlements which maybe lost or reduced under an income capacity test.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@fjficm

Sry guys

I shall make myself clearer

Appointer – Me

Trustee – let’s say fjficm pty ltd

beneficiaries – family

Q1.
    If i have maxed out my family beneficiaries, can i actually include fjficm pty ltd (ie. the trustee os a beneficiary also so that i can be taxed @30%) or will i have to set up another company as a separate beneficiary for eg fracp pty ltd

Q2.
    As the appointer but not trustee(which is my company of course), can i be a beneficiary also

Q3
    Can i put my salary (if it is non-PAYG) from an external private source into the company as an employee and be taxed @30%

Q4
    The money in the trust distributed to the company, can it be utilised by myself ie for minor spending purposes eg shopping etc

Q5
    How do you negative gear using hybrid discret trust

Q6
    Lastly, how do i set up my trust account as I have a LOC product

Pls clear up my questions

I have read all the posts and these are only the specifics that i couldn’t find and I can’t find any of the recommeded trust text, sold out!!!

Spend almost 4 hours so someone pls help cos i think these specifics will help lots of forumners complete their knowledge of trusts and myself also
    Cheers

@melbear
    Q1.
    If i have maxed out my family beneficiaries, can i actually include fjficm pty ltd (ie. the trustee os a beneficiary also so that i can be taxed @30%) or will i have to set up another company as a separate beneficiary for eg fracp pty ltd

Companies that you are a director of, or shareholder in, should automatically be included as possible beneficiaries.

Q2.
    As the appointer but not trustee(which is my company of course), can i be a beneficiary also

Absolutely. It’s the settlor you don’t want to be.

Q3
    Can i put my salary (if it is non-PAYG) from an external private source into the company as an employee and be taxed @30%

You would have to have your company invoice whoever is paying you – then the company will pay you, but I don’t believe it would cut your tax level at all – sorry.

Q4
    The money in the trust distributed to the company, can it be utilised by myself ie for minor spending purposes eg shopping etc

Only for company matters – or for company ‘expenses’ that can be legally done for you – in fact, the trust can ‘gift’ things to beneficiaries at various times, ie CDs, etc.

Q5
    How do you negative gear using hybrid discret trust

No idea. I believe you borrow to purchase units in the trust (same as for a unit trust). The trust will use your funds to purchase a property (your loan can be secured against the property). The trust will distribute its profit to you as owner of the units. If it’s less than the interest YOU pay (the trust has no loan, therefore pays no interest), then you can claim the difference against your income. Speak to an accountant to clarify this.

Q6
    Lastly, how do i set up my trust account as I have a LOC product

You can lend your money to the trust. The trust must open it’s own bank account, and be completely separate to yours.

I have read all the posts and these are only the specifics that i couldn’t find and I can’t find any of the recommeded trust text, sold out!!!

Dale GG is really sold out? http://www.gatherumgoss.com I wouldn’t think that would be the case, or it would be for very long as his manual shouldn’t be too hard to print!!

For clarification (I think you are in Melby?) give Dale GG a call and go see him.

Cheers
    Mel

@fjficm

thx mel for the reply

i think alot of people will benefit from this

thx for your time and resources

yes im in melbourne and i will call dale

im reasonably clear now about what i want

yeah i calculated, even at my tax bracket compared to company flat rate of 30% it is not really worth the trouble until your income is about 100K+ cos it will work out to be the same

also i can’t utilise this properly for personal use without red tape, audit etc.

so i guess the best way to distribute income of trust is to find as many low income bennies as possible without kiling off their potential benefits eg allowances or pension etc.

i think im prettty clear now

thx again mel

Profile photo of aussiemikeaussiemike
    Participant
    @aussiemike

Just be careful of the value shifting provisions. If a taxpayer operates a business through a company, unit trust or hybrid trust and a family member (or any other person) is admitted to the business, then the general value shifting rules may apply. Generally, the GVS rules will not apply where the business is carried on through a discretionary trust.

@fjficm

oh btw mel

re Q3

same trust setup

my salary non-PAYG goes into trust

end of year, instead of paying the company, i just pay a bennie who is not earning etc . and get taxed at their rate and i get money back from them, is this kosher?

Participant
    @terryw

You can run a business thru a trust, but watch out for alienation of personal services income. If the ATO deems the money was earned by your own personal exertion, then the money will be taxed as if you earned it yourself. there are various rules you have to fulfill to avoid this.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

@fjficm

oh man

thx terry

its a pain in the butt, i best to simplify my assets and income separateley

too complicated

Profile photo of Supa FreakSupa Freak
    @supa-freak

Is it true that initially your trust / company is maily beneficial for asset protection then as the money starts cascading/dripping in the tax benifits kick in…..

@melbear

I guess that’s one way of putting it SF. Although if you start up the trust by transferring/gifting/selling a lot of assets to the trust it may have cashflow from day one…..

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.