All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Renovating IP in a Hybrid Trust Structure

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of OrionOrion
    @orion

Hi all,

Let’s say I’m planning to buy a negatively geared house IP using my Hybrid Trust (I am the trustee). So in other words, I take out the loan and purchase Special Income units from the Trust.

This way the Trust owns the house, but the loan is in my name. Also I think that there is no relationship between my loan and the Trust ownership of the house. Is this true?

This is important because of what I’m about to propose next.

Now that the property has been settled, rather then renting out the property to tenants straight away and renovating at some later time, can I perform a major renovation straight away and claim the interest paid to the bank as a increased negative gearing loss.

Here’s a summary on the hypothetical time scale.

1 Jul – Settlement
    1 Jan – Finished renovation and put advertised house for rent
    1 Feb – House rented for the rest of FY.

Assumptions
    $1,000 is paid per month in Interest
    $1,000 is paid per month by tenants
    There are no other expenses incurred (eg rates etc)

Now what will happen at tax time?

From the borrowers point of view (ie the person that bought the Special Income Units), I incurred a loss for the year with only getting income for 5 months. So my loss becomes $7,000 for the year.

Can I claim the full $7,000 against my income? Or can I only claim $1,000 because the house was only advertised since 1 Jan?

My thinking is that my loan is independent from what the trust does, so I can think of it like a managed fund of sorts. Is my thinking wrong?

Any points of view are welcome.

Regards,

Orion

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Orion

I think you shouldn’t have a problem claiming the loss against your personal income as you would be running a business of rental properties thru a trust and had the intention of renting the property out. check with your accountant first.

You would be borrowing the money in your capacity as trustee, tho the loan would be in your name only, not the trust’s.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of OrionOrion
    @orion

TerryW

You have made my day. :)

Thanks

Orion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.