All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Asset Protection and Tax

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of ArthurKArthurK
    Participant
    @arthurk

Hi there, my question has to do with the issue of migitating risk:What if someone were to have an injury on one of my investment properies- is
    having insurance as my only line of defence against other people trying to take my personal assets really enough? After all, insurance
    companies tend to have a way of getting out of paying for damages, injuries and so
    forth. Furthermore, if I was to set up LLC type cooperations to further protect myself, and say owned 100 properties, how many would I need to set
    up and what would the tax implications be?

If someone could please help me answer these questions I would be most appreciative, as they have been a large issue in my decision making.

Thanks Heaps.

Arthur. K

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

You can get public liability insurance to cover personal injury lawsuits. It usually comes under Landlord insurance. Rentcover is a good insurance company to work with.

In terms of companies. A LLC is a limited liability corporation, it used in the US, in Australia, we have companies though, which are basically a similar idea/concept.

We tend to use trusts rather than comapnies, because we can get a 50% discount of any CGT, when we sell an asset. To protect yourself further we usually have a corporate trustee.
    (Unless you are doing wraps, trhen a company structure will surfice).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.