All Topics / Finance / Internal Rate of Return

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Native_MetaLNative_MetaL
    @native_metal

Hi just a Quick Question

I’m Playing around with Somersoft PIA software and they refer to the “internal rate of return” to show an investor what percentage rate a possible investment could return on your money.
    Is the “Cash on Cash” term that Steve refers to the same as the internal rate of return?
    Or is it a completely different thing?

Thanks Everyone [wink][whistle]

Profile photo of ZimonyaZimonya
    Participant
    @zimonya

Dear Native Metal

I am still new at all this but from what I understand it is not the same thing. The COCR that Steve talks about refers to the cash return that you will recieve on your overall invested funds. IRR meanwhile refers to the net overall return that you will recieve from the property taking into account changes in capital value as well. Hope that this helps

regards Zimonya

Zimonya

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Profile photo of glenettiglenetti
    @glenetti

Aaaah! My favourite analysis tool, and I am still waiting for someone to show me I’m wrong. It is totally different to cash-on-cash return, which really only looks at the initial cash flow.

This is where I get long-winded, so duck out now if you’re already bored.

IRR is an indicative value which shows you what annual interest rate you would have to be paid (say on a bank fixed deposit) in order to earn the same return, based on a series of cash flows.

These cash flows do not have to be even, as they would be for an annuity. However, the cash flows must occur at regular intervals, such as monthly or annually. The IRR is the interest rate received for an investment consisting of payments (negative values) and income (positive values) that occur at regular periods.

The great thing is that IRR is available on Excel as a standard function, so you just set up your cash flow model over as many years as you like and apply IRR to it. No need for fancy software where you have little control over the inner workings and assumptions.

Here is an example based on Excel help:
    Suppose you want to start a restaurant business. You estimate it will cost $70,000 (negative) to start the business and expect to net the following income in the first five years: $12,000, $15,000, $18,000, $21,000, and $26,000.

The cash flow series is as follows:
    $-70,000, $12,000, $15,000, $18,000, $21,000 and $26,000, respectively.

Your investment’s IRR after
    four years: equals -2.12 percent
    five years: equals 8.66 percent
    etc. [of course using Excel]

On property investment simulations I allow for capital growth as an inflated or future value FV figure at the end of the period being simulated, eg. at the end of 10 years, based on present capital growth estimates what would the property sell for? Not that you are necessarily going to sell, but the value is still there (theoretically) either through sale or refinancing.

I picked this up from Dolf de Roos, and it is the most useful analysis tool that I have come across so far. Cash-on-cash it too short term for me. What is really great, is that you can build your own spreadsheet with the data on all the properties you are looking at, put in all the income, expenditure, financing etc. dope, apply IRR and presto, you have an evaluation tool that highlights the best option in the bunch.

Any objections?

Profile photo of glenettiglenetti
    @glenetti

I have had a request for more info on IRR. I am going to “doctor up” a spreadsheet that I have used might explain better how one could use it.

If anyone is interested, mail me and I’ll send it to you once I have knocked off the rough edges – no guarantees that I don’t have any major flaws in the spreadsheet, and it will not have a structure relevant to your environment.

Tschuss
    Glenn

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Glenetti,

someone who speaks my language!

… i totally agree about the IRR, the CoCR is fine but more appropriate for uses such as knowing, what a small renovation and the increase of rent from it, and how long it will take to get your money back with the use of CoCR, but IRR is the best way to go, for me, i will not use any other tool, and that with IRR’s, you can also predict the growth of an asset vs its repayments if its negative geared…

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

Here is the IRR problem i faced with ez-rent.

Your cashflow is affected by a number of factors, like interest and rent + expenses. Some of those factors (tax refunds, etc) are directly affected by other properties or investments. Ie if property 1 takes your taxable income from $65k to $55k, then property 2 takes it from $55k to $45k, your cashflows will change.

Combine that with the fact that ez-rent lets you allocate ownership percentage on a per property basis complicated it even more.

So as soon as I made a multi property version of ez-rent things got very difficult because it made it very difficult to make accurate cashflow predictions when a minor change on one property (like a new deprecable item) can change the IRR of everything else.

[email protected]

EZ-Rent. The free tax and cashflow simulator for Australian property investors.
    http://www.ez-rent.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.