All Topics / Help Needed! / Lets talk SEWAGE

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Got thinking about a lovely dinner table conversation -sewage.

Basically, thanks to mr carr, have ditched my idea about doing a duplex in nsw, and thought about becoming a bannanabender.

Thought about buying a large/very large acreage in between two towns.

Then subdivide into a couple o’ acres, plonking an old queenslander on top, then selling them off one by one.

Of course, properties like this dont have sewage, and my theory is that most people do not want to be on a septic tank. (in fact, my boss, couldnt believe that anyone would want to live in Terrigal (the ritziest place on the central coast) when he came out here 20years ago, cause the whole place smelt like a toilet bowl)

In order to get sewage onto the farm, I would need to go through a whole number of other farms (some of whom may want sewage, some who dont, and some who do but dont want to pay!)

Has anyone got any bright ideas on how to approach this scenario?

My thoughts- jump in the car and spend a few days talking to all the neighbouring farms, gathering info, etc.

Find out about council, engineers costs, etc.

Asking for rights of access to lay pipe, etc.

Having some form of legal contract saying I will provide service for $ fee.

One by one, or two by two, lay the pipe and collect the fees.

Anyone got any ballpark costs for each kilometre? Is what I am thinking possible/undooable?

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Sounds like a bit of a dream.
    Firstly the areas between towns are there for a reason.
    Usually for farming so the country can eat some meat or flour etc.
    Towns dont just subdivide rural lots for that reason.
    Also the larger the property you buy the less you can subdivide as they want big holdings out of the town boundaries.
    Also depends on services already provided like fresh water.
    You can only subdivide in certain areas if there is water connected to blocks.
    Hope this helps.
    Russ.

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

One word mate “envirocycle” its already making its mark in some Sydney suburbs by law.

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….” “Even though you may be on the right track, you can still get run over if you sit there long enough”

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Many thanks for your help.

Russ, I realise that out of town is there predominantly for farming/difficulty in geography.

I came across a property of about 200acres, and around the property were some of 10-400acres.

If I could subdivide the 200 bit by bit into even 20 or 40 acres, this would turn the property from a ‘real’ farm into a ‘hobby’ farm or a horse lovers place, or people who hate the city.

Any thoughts?

Profile photo of GramyreGramyre
    @gramyre

I have contemplated doing something similar but on an environmentally self sufficient basis. After all powering a block and water etc are huge expenses when you are talking thaking it further than the initial letterbox.

Ive wondered about building mud brick houses with solar and genny back up on land that has natural water supply and environcycle systems. Mind you all of that depends on zoning and council approvals, and then getting the type of people that would like that sort of lifestyle to buy….niche market for a lot later on for me I think

I know I can, I know I can

@salubrious

I have just come back from property hunting in the bust today, ran up around 2000k, saw heaps of dumps and i could not beleive the prices they are asking, I think tho 0 to 130 book has got it pumping, but anywayz, I would like your idea on this one;

3 bed cottage sheds water etc 1147 acres near …..well rural anyway, they are asking 450k what i want to know is if anyone would lease this type of property for farming activities?

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….” “Even though you may be on the right track, you can still get run over if you sit there long enough”

@russh

Dont buy rural property unless you know what you are doing.So many places on the market and so many greenies from the city.They pay big bucks for land that aint worth half what people are asking.Sometimes it cost more than the land to get services connected.We have lived in the rural areas all our life and see city folk get sucked into buying hobby farms that they know nothing about.12 months later there on the market again because all their dreams go out the window when they learn none of it is feasible.We have seen it year after year.
    They buy in winter when everything is nice and green and freak out in summer because the place is a fire hazard.
    Then they try to do a burn off and nearly wipe out half the town.
    City folk arent always welcomed with open arms in some areas.
    I suggest you think twice about rural subdivisions.
    As for leasing out farms I would give thew same advice.If you dont know what you are doing then dont do it.It is a totally different ballgame to res. property.
    Russ.

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Gotta agree with russ on this, that if you dont know the rules, better off playing another game.

But, I am still undeterred, as I just need another paid member on my team who can tell me what is/not possible.

If I was going to an area, who (apart from the local council) would I be best to talk to, when subdividing a very large farm into medium sized farms and putting one residence on each? WOuld it be a town planner/architect/surveyour??????

Any bright ideas?

Profile photo of aluminatialuminati
    Participant
    @aluminati

Wrappack,
    It propably would be cheaper and more efficent to install your own sewage treatment plant.
    There is some great systems on the market at the moment capacities from 1 property to 200.
    It consists of a grease interceptor pit that takes all the fatty waste then a sewer ejector pit. That seperates solid organic and bio waste and transfers this to a treatment tank underground that is purged with bacteria. This then is vented into the air. The water product is then passed through a tripple UV filter and the end product is something you can sell back to your subdivisions as grey water for gardens and or farm usage.
    The system if done properly has the ability to buy itslf back.
    aluminati

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Wrappack,

Just a few thoughts. As population increases in an area, sewerage is generally on the agenda, but takes years in planning. We’ve lived in rural areas for over 20 years, always on septic with never a problem. I think people just have to learn to take care with water usage and disposal of waste, as if they’re on septic or envirocycle systems, they might also be on tank water. We’ve never run out of water, even when the three children were at home. Wouldn’t change tank water for anything. We’re just out of Maitland.

If people buy a rural property they’re usually prepared to put in septic which I think now is $5000+ for the enviro type which also waters gardens etc. It’s just like another thing you know you’ve got to take into account when buying, such as if you’re a certain distance from power and phone lines it can be very costly. Our next door neighbours – we’re both on 80 acres – have only a mobile phone and solar power, plus tanks and septic/enviro of course. They’ve built a beautiful home.

Also agree with Russ’s comments. City people come to rural areas wanting the same conveniences as they have had and then start complaining. A couple of the things complained about here by those who want a rural lifestyle without the ‘rural’ is the smell of the cattle/dairy farm would you believe. Another rang the council to have a wallaby removed from her 2 acres.It had broken it’s neck while being chased by her in the backyard and ran into the pigwire fence. How brave of her to ring the council. ( Hubby works for the council.) Then back to septic, complain that a pump out system costs X monthly. And so it goes on.

Also be careful if you have to get right of way through other properties – gates have to be closed, fencing maintained for livestock and some property owners just don’t like the idea either. You would have to buy the right of way.

Anyway, council is the first place to go to find out just what you are allowed to do. Talk to the town planners and engineers. It would be a massive project to provide all services but good luck.

Anna

Participant
    @annaw2

Mysta,
    Have been looking at 1200 acres for $195,000 with house. Were told it would rent at about $150pw. We would agree that the tenant has use of the land, can run a few cattle, but also keep an eye on the place as sort of caretaker as there can be vandalism and cattle duffing. You would have to be sure there was water, either creeks or dams, taking into account drought and grasshopper plagues as is currently the case in some areas.

Anna

@salubrious
    Originally posted by annaw2:

Mysta,
    Have been looking at 1200 acres for $195,000 with house. Were told it would rent at about $150pw. We would agree that the tenant has use of the land, can run a few cattle, but also keep an eye on the place as sort of caretaker as there can be vandalism and cattle duffing. You would have to be sure there was water, either creeks or dams, taking into account drought and grasshopper plagues as is currently the case in some areas.

Anna

Thats not a huge return on a 195k outlay, I thank you for your words of wisdom Anna and I spent 2 hours at the carwash getting the grasshoppers out from the grill[blink]

@russh

If you are going rural you want a good +cf cause capital gains are very slim.
    Russ

Participant
    @annaw2

You sure do have to look at the returns. The $195,000 1120 acres is a few hours drive away, tenants would be limited as to who would want to live 36ks out of town, and the low rent takes into account the tenant would be sort of keeping an eye on things, or at least the property would be seen as being lived in/on. But also, it would be extra land for more cattle for us as well. Many options!!!

Anna

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.