All Topics / General Property / selling before settlement

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Stevie24Stevie24
    @stevie24

hello again,

After paying a 20% deposit for a block of land that i thought would be settled one month ago, my solicitor has informed me that settlement wont be to at least june/july.. Can i sell this property before settlement to free up my deposit or do i have to just sit and wait??

Please help me as i am new to all of this, and find it so much fun that i just confuse myself…!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You can sell it, but you can’t free up the deposit until the final settlement.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Stevie24Stevie24
    @stevie24

Thanks Terry. Would you also be able to advise me where i can get the apropiate paper work from?

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Stevie,

I think the best person to get advice at this stage is your solicitor. Talk to your solicitor about your situation and see what he/she say. I am sure there will be a solutions for you. Your solicitor will be able to help you with appropriate paper work.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Also look at Steve’s advice on this forum and in the book on ‘Flips’ – do a search on it – see where you stand with it all…

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

As noted, the land can be sold prior to settlement. We conduct these type of transactions on a regular basis with land and buildings.

The transaction should be conducted whereby the purchaser submits a deposit i.e. 20 percent – which is then held by your lawyer in a trust/escrow account until settlement.

The balance is paid to you on the settlement date. You then pay what is owed to the original land owner – work the two transactions in synch.

The key is “assigning” the land to the purchaser at a profit if at all possible. The difference between what you owe the original land owner, and what you sell the land for [less taxes and fees] is your net gain/profit.

The ROI is calculated as net profit divided by the deposit amount – which is always significantly more than if you acquired the land outright. A lucrative investment strategy.

The risk on your part is whether the purchaser will meet his/her obligation at settlement. If not you will be liable for the settlement amount.

However, if the purchaser defaults, you can retain the deposit if the agreement is structured correctly.

Before proceeding, you should discuss any scenario with a qualified lawyer and tax accountant.

— Michael

Profile photo of aluminatialuminati
    Participant
    @aluminati

Stevie,
    I see you are in melb.
    There is one way you may be able to unlock a deposit. Not yours but your purchasers.
    After you have sold your property and recived a deposit ( if you decide to recieve one) the ask your solicitor to send the purchaser a section 27, this is an authority for them to disclose the deposit they paid to you for your useage. They may not sign but its worth a shot.
    aluminati

@michael-r

In a transaction such as this, you should not seek to claim the deposit from the person you sell too – unless you have access to sufficient funds if the person defaults.

Even with a clause that states you retain the deposit on default.

The result would then be owing the original seller the balance at settlement, and potentially repaying the person you sold too [the deposit] if they take legal action because you failed to comply or adequately disclose information.

This is a worst case scenario, but it does happen relatively frequently and can lead to severe financial problems for the person on-selling the property if not financially secure.

“Risk management” should be first and foremost when considering any real estate transaction.

— Michael

Profile photo of aluminatialuminati
    Participant
    @aluminati

Michael,
    I’m assuming the original contract was unconditional, so no matter what the funds will have to be ready at settlement anyway.
    I dont know what you mean about proper disclosing to the end purchaser, The S32 and ‘particulars of sale’ will have all the details the end purchaser requires. If the see this info and sign the contract it will be them that owe you if the cant settle not the other way around.
    aluminati

@michael-r

“I’m assuming the original contract was unconditional, so no matter what the funds will have to be ready at settlement anyway.”

My point was, it would “appear” [Stevie24] is not in a financial position to risk having access to another buyers deposit prior to settlement – or why the need to “free up” the deposit.

As noted, the scenario I outlined is worst case, but I have seen less experienced investors put in this position many times.

The fact that an agreement is “unconditional” means little if the buyer [person the land is on-sold too] cannot meet his/her financial obligations at settlement.

“I dont know what you mean about proper disclosing to the end purchaser”

When someone is in a position where they cannot meet their financial obligations at settlement, they will look at every angle to dispute the contract.

It is never advisable to put so much faith in a written agreement, unless there is a contingency plan to counteract all possible scenarios.

— Michael

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

agreed Michael – many times I have seen an unconditional contract with a ready and willing buyer, then something happens for them out of the blue and they are no longer in a position to settle. If there’s no money in the jar they can’t pay for the property and that’s all there is to it.

<hr class=”bbcode_rule” />

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of sonyasonya
    Participant
    @sonyatoto

hi guys, I have the same situation. I bought a land and not settled yet. and I am looking for some other investment, and want to sell the unsettled land.
    If I want to sell the land before the settlement, do I still need to pay the stamp duty?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.