All Topics / Help Needed! / What do you guys suggest re renting out or selling

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of tammy1977tammy1977
    @tammy1977

My partner and I are looking at moving in together and we want to start buying +ve cashflow properties.

I have nothing to offer in the way of a deposit but I earn $50K pa. He is looking for work.

He has a home worth about $250K oweing about $110 which could be rented for about $200pw.

What are your suggestions? Should we rent it out and buy one together? Or sell it and buy one? etc etc…

Help appreciated.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Tammy,

If I were you, I will move in the current house together and draw down the equity to purchases a few +ve cashflow properties. At the same time save up until you are ready to purchase quality investment property in a few year time to offset your +cf properties.

I would then move out of your current house rent it out and purchase a better house for both of you to live in.

Which meant in a space of 2-3 years from now you will have 4 +cf and 1 -cf and PPoR (total 6).

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

with 50k p/a – you can move into the house together and the banks will easily give you loans for that kind of income

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of tammy1977tammy1977
    @tammy1977

I should have been clearer perhaps. My partner’s house is too small for us (I have a three year old). The house is 2 bedroom with one living area. The decision is not to live there at all. The decision is to rent it out or sell it.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Rule of thumb – never sell

get it rented out. if it will not return pos. cashflow, then try fixing it up with a few thousand dollars and thus increase the rent. keep it as an asset – it will help you in the future.

Kind Regards,
    George

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Tammy,

In that case you rent the existing house out and purchase a better house for both of you to live in.
    Then you do the followings:
    Draw down the equity to purchases a few +ve cashflow properties. Put whatever you can save to your PPoR.

At the end of the day you will be controlling 4 IPs and PPoR.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of RubbachookRubbachook
    @rubbachook

If you want to head down the IP route, then listen to the advice above.

If it were me, the question I would first ask is around the “sleep at night” factor. If you are not comfortable being on one income with a larger mortgage than you have then you would be better off selling your current place.

Re your original question, I would still be looking towards owning something (whether IP or PPOR) to stay in the market.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.