All Topics / Value Adding / [moved] Small Development question….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Gee Day people [^]

Im looking into my first 2 dwelling (seperate) development on a block of land that has already been DA approved for this purpose.

I have a few questions, but believe that with abit of creative thinking it could be done to be cf+..

1) Would anyone (ie council) see any problems with using Pre-fab or kit style homes instead of typical brick veneer? the cost would be very different (cheaper)the block is on a corner and has easy access for a truck or crane, and the build time will be a matter of weeks…

2) Now, i once saw a lifestyle show, perhaps better homes and gardens or any of the auction shows, they did a story on a family in sydney buying a pre fab home from a large selling yard near homebush bay (Olympic site was seen in the back ground) i think all the houses being sold were ex-olympic village stuff and remember a price of about $35K for a largish 3 bedder… does anyone know where this place is??

3) Im guessing transport costs for these dwelling are not cheap, anyone done it before? what was the price based on, ie per km, etc etc, per hr???

4) Hmm what else??? anyway, thats the bare basics for the moment, if anyone has any suggestions, has done this sort of thing before or has ideas i would love to hear from you… (the good and the bad)

cheers ;)

Jason

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Jason- hey there :)

No experience at ALL in this area, but I’m thinking if you did a search on google.com.au (australian sites only) and types in “kit homes” or any variations of what you’re looking for, you could find out all the info you want- costs, processes etc etc. Best of luck with it!

kay henry

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I don’t think there would be quite the problem with a concrete slab construction as you will encounter with a kithome construction as far as finance is concerned.

If you have bought the land at the right price it should support a ‘normal’ brickveneer type construction.

Why be adventurous with your first project ?

Pisces

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6
    Originally posted by Pisces:

I don’t think there would be quite the problem with a concrete slab construction as you will encounter with a kithome construction as far as finance is concerned.

If you have bought the land at the right price it should support a ‘normal’ brickveneer type construction.

Why be adventurous with your first project ?

Pisces

Hey there Pisces,

To answer some of your questions, im looking into kit homes or pre-fab homes for several reasons, mainly the lower cost per dwelling. the area im looking into does not have a high median price, but has been showing good growth in the last few years, so in terms of re-sale, should i want to sell down the track i will need a few years to make a profit, however, im doing this to achieve maximum income with minimal spending.

The block is elevated, and a slab would probably require alot of excavation and perhaps a retaining wall or 2, again, costly. so perhaps something that can be suspended on brick piers would be easier to do.

Finance is also an issue, im in a position that allows me to do the whole project with my own money, but again, should i elect to build “traditional” houses, i will be going very close, or over my spending thresold, my plan was to buy, build then re-finance asap and use the new equity to purchase more IP’s… Im also a very hands on person, and want to do as much of the work, in all areas of the project myself.

In terms of being adventurous.. im a person who really is not in favour of conforming to the norms of society, i also think there is always a better / cheaper / more efficient way of doing something, so im willing to give it a shot. i know ur not trying to knock me, and i appreciate what your saying, but if i wasnt adventurous 5 years ago when i started investing in IP’s against most peoples advice, today i would probably still be dreaming of buying my first place… unless i giv it a shot, i will never know!

But again, thanx for the reply, both you and Kay [^]

Jason :)

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Look in the Yellow Pages under “Buildings – Relocatable & Transportable – Domestic”.

Also I have seen houses advertised in the classifieds for removal by developers/defence housing etc.

I recently secured the right to 3B/R house simply by offering to clear the land for the developer. I became aware that the developers who had bought the property were planning to demolish the house by asking questions at the garage/moving sale. The total costs involved would have been close to 45k. Unfortunatly I was gazumped on the land and now have nowhere to put the house.

I’m comming to realise that RE deals can fall through in more ways than I ever expected.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Teacher,

The planning permit will have details on things such as the layout of the units and what materials they are to be made of, so unless the kit home fits with these conditions you would either have to apply for an alteration or seek a new permit.

Regards
    Alistair
    [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.