All Topics / Finance / when to finance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Jacqui74Jacqui74
    @jacqui74

I am currently selling my ip as it is neg geared and in personal name. As we had also lived in it , apparently we will only have to pay capital gains for the last year. Is it best to wait until settlement to access the excess money for investing in more property of course positive property, or should I use the equity while it is still in it. Also if I were to consider doing a wrap on it, when would the capital gain be due?
    Thanks Jacqui[:)]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you are selling your IP, then it is probably better to wait for it to be sold to access the money, otherwise it would get complicated.

BTW, you many not have to pay CGT at all, check with a good accountant.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Jacqui, was it a PPOR before an IP, or IP, PPOR, IP?

As Terry said, that will define whether or not you have to pay any tax at all. Also depends on whether you live in your own home now also, but can still be done.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Jacqui74Jacqui74
    @jacqui74

Hi Mel, the property was a ip first then we lived in it for about 1 1/2 years and is currently an ip again. We moved out in October 2002, but did not buy a ppor until March 2003. We are still living in the 2nd property now.

Thanks for taking the time to reply b4 Jacqui

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Jacqui, I would check it out, cos my understanding is that you would have to pay CGT for the initial period it was rented also.

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.