All Topics / Finance / servicability rates

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

Hey again,

I’ve been told that most institutions will take somewhere between 30-35% of your working income into acct when calculating home much you can borrow.

I live with parents and my expenses are around 25% of my income. Is there any chance that if i can prove this figure will remain constant for a few years, a bank or CU might let me repay more than 35%? (ie 40-50%?)

Any comments welcome, thanks!
    Steve.

ps: As the only person online at the moment MortgageHunter, i’d appreciate your thoughts! [:D]

“Knowledge is Power”

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

The formula so to speak that the banks use, is pretty much a part of their lending policy, so I wouldn’t bother. Read no chance. However, when you speak to a mortgage broker there are many different lending products and lenders, so they will able to advise the lender best for your needs.

For example, I think St george & CBA when calculating serviceability, add back in tax benefits (from investing), whilst most others do not.

James

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Young Investor,

I think the percentage ýou´re referring to is the amount they presume for living expenses. And even if you could produce a stat dec from your parents saying you´d stay with them for a few years, banks and credit providers will only take into account your situation now- they don´t work on projections for the future… they´re more likely to work on the assumption that we all spend about 30% of our income on bills etc etc wherever we live…

kay henry

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Steve,

All lenders use different serviceability formulas.

You can visit each bank to see where you fit or see a broker who has software for them all.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Hi

Most lenders will not take into account your reduced expenses becuase the loan term is for 30 years and they would assume that you would not live at your parents place for the next 30 years.

The only real reduction in living expense they may take into account are:
    – company car.
    – salary sacrafice benefits.

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

Hey Stu,

Is salary sacrificing where you voluntarily contribute extra cash to your super, or some other area, or both?

Steve.

“Knowledge is Power”

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Depending on the LVR, some banks will allow you go go into the red in their serviceability models – but not by much.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of FYIFYI
    @fyi

As Terry has eluded to, some banks will not just run your income through a formula but actually have a good look at your situation and what you can afford.

There is not much room to move with owner occupied property – but you should get some leniency with investment.

Matt Anderson

[email protected]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.