All Topics / Help Needed! / The order of getting a property

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of PenguinJrPenguinJr
    @penguinjr

Hey Guys and girls,

I know I’ve asked this before, but I’m still learning and I see different things all the time (mainly because i’m reading Rich Dad Real Estate Riches, which is I think more American than it is Australian).

So.. on to the question.. what is the order of buying a property?

1. Look for a property,
    2. offer a deal (verbally or electronically – email?)
    3. Arrange a finance. Get an appraiser (in that town? or can it be from out of town?)
    4… Err.. I’ll leave it as 2 steps first. I have too many questions to ask.

Is this order correct? or should we arrange a finance first then offer a deal?

Sorry if my questions are too vague.

Regards,

~F.T.~

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

penguin

Talk to a mortgage broker. Find out how much you can borrow. Find a property in your price range. Inspect it yourself. Make an offer (in person to the real estate agent). Agree on a price. Look at the sale contract with a solicitor or an experienced investor that you trust. Make sure there is a condition on the contract about finance. It is usually 2 weeks to arrange finance and if you can’t, you can get out of the contract without a penalty. The same goes for building and pest inspections. The contract also states the date of “settlement” that’s when you become the owner.

So, after signing the contract, call your mortgage broker with the details and he/she will look after you from there regarding finance. Call a professional builder who has insurance to do a building inspection and give you a written report. Same for pest inspection. These things should all be finalised by the “inspection date” that you agreed to on the contract. If it’s all satisfactory, the contract becomes “unconditional” and you can’t get out of it without paying some penalty. You should also have a conveyancing solicitor. Give their name to the agent at the start and they will take care of all the details (including building and pest insp sometimes).

Another sourse of free info are legal secretaries. Go into a conv. solicitors office and talk to the person at the front desk.

You will have a solicitor, a lender and a RE agent all working to make sure everything goes ahead according to plan.

Judi

Profile photo of PenguinJrPenguinJr
    @penguinjr

Hmm…

Thanks =). Does anyone else have a different order or anything? I dont mean anything bad to Judi, he actually has enlighten my confused mind (since i’m inexperienced in this), but I’m just wondering if this is the typical approach or is there a completely different approach?

Thanks a whole heap Judi [;)]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

No Penguin, that’s about what I would do.

You definitely need to see a broker first, to establish what range you can buy in. There’s no point looking at $300K houses when you can only afford to buy a $200K place.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Definately get your finance clear in your head first. Thats where a broker can either give you a figure or get you a pre approval.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@penguinjr

Thanx guys.

Keep that in mind.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Get your Trust set up first, and then go for a pre-approval beofre you start looking.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Penguin,

My recommend is;

1. Learn as much as you can about investing but set yourself a timeline to do something.
    2. While learning start to clarify your goals and preferred style of investing.
    3. Ask lots of questions to further clarify what you want to do and how.
    4. Determine borrowing potential and buying capacity. (You may not be comfortable spending all you can borrow)
    5. Identify areas you can afford to invest in then go and do it!
    6. Put your offer in subject to the regular clauses.
    7. When your offer is accepted get the solicitor and broker onto the job and at the same time get those inspections organised.
    8. Ensure all finance documents (pay slips etc) are current and give these to your broker.
    9. Closer to settlement carry out your pre-settlement inspection to ensure property is as offered.
    10.Select property manager – who does not have to be with the selling agent.
    11. Notify property manager of impending settlement date so they can start looking for a tenant.
    12. Ensure solicitor and broker are on target to meet deadlines.
    13. Collect keys and give to PM upon settlement.
    14. Celebrate the occasion.
    15. Set up and maintain record keeping books.
    16. File all documents for possible CGT liability later.
    17. Start looking again.

Note some of these actions are a little interchangeable and will also on occasions happen very close together.

Derek
    [email protected]

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp
    Originally posted by Derek:

Hi Penguin,

My recommend is;

1. Learn as much as you can about investing but set yourself a timeline to do something.
    2. While learning start to clarify your goals and preferred style of investing.
    3. Ask lots of questions to further clarify what you want to do and how.
    4. Determine borrowing potential and buying capacity. (You may not be comfortable spending all you can borrow)
    5. Identify areas you can afford to invest in then go and do it!
    6. Put your offer in subject to the regular clauses.
    7. When your offer is accepted get the solicitor and broker onto the job and at the same time get those inspections organised.
    8. Ensure all finance documents (pay slips etc) are current and give these to your broker.
    9. Closer to settlement carry out your pre-settlement inspection to ensure property is as offered.
    10.Select property manager – who does not have to be with the selling agent.
    11. Notify property manager of impending settlement date so they can start looking for a tenant.
    12. Ensure solicitor and broker are on target to meet deadlines.
    13. Collect keys and give to PM upon settlement.
    14. Celebrate the occasion.
    15. Set up and maintain record keeping books.
    16. File all documents for possible CGT liability later.

17. Re-read building inspectors report and formulate a maintenance plan, starting with the important, and finishing with the merely aesthetic.
    18. Discuss with Property Manager (or tenant) your ideas for adding value and whether these would provide sufficient return
    19. Set up a contingency account for unforseen expenses and have a plan for managing cashflow (assuming rates, bills all come at once)
    20. Consider lodging a variation to your income tax (if your properties are neg geared before tax)
    21. Monitor values of your first property so you can see if there is scope for using any increased equity for a deposit on No 2!
    22. Start looking again, starting with establishing finance availablity and what you want from a property (growth – cashflow mix).

Peter

Profile photo of JeeemJeeem
    @jeeem
    Get your Trust set up first, and then go for a pre-approval beofre you start looking

I think you can add the line “and or sign” at the end of your name so in the future you can transfer the title of property into a trust or some other entity (if say you initially bought the property in your own name).

Profile photo of hamiladrhamiladr
    @hamiladr

I always feel that if you have finance pre-arranged, my experience is that you can usually negotiate a beeter deal on price by not having a “subject to finance” clause in the contract. I will however always put in a subject to purchasers satisfaction of building inspection report as a condition. Vedors and agents usually don’t have an issue with this as they are happier that theere is not a finance clause in the contract.
    Cheers
    hamiladr

Profile photo of liddelkliddelk
    @liddelk

Just one quick comment.

I’ve never needed or used a solicitor. Just hire a settlement agency – its their bread and butter and they know what to do. Solicitors cost too much and they probably get a junior to do it anyway.

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

What are the main reasons for using a trust?
    Judi

@penguinjr

Wow.. very detailed information guys =)..

I understood everything except ‘trust’… What is a trust?

And btw, if you’re pre-approved already, why do you need those current pay slips and stuff? And the thing with me is that I’m mostly self-employed. Hmm..

But thanx for the insight, i’ll be sure to save all those information. [^]

Profile photo of GeronimoGeronimo
    @geronimo

Just to briefly touch on getting pre-approval for finance first.

Make sure you get something in writing from your chosen lending institution, before you go signing unconditional contracts.

I’ve seen a few situations recently where a prospective buyer has gotten a verbal agreement from their bank for finance only to find that after going unconditional the bank has rescinded their offer.The consequences can be pretty nasty.

Regards

Brendon

Acute Mortgage Reductions
    ‘Better Finance for More Homes Sooner’

Profile photo of OriginalsinOriginalsin
    @originalsin

Hi Judi.

I found your earlier post to PenguinJr to be very helpful and informative. I have some further questions, however.

Originally posted by judi:
    Talk to a mortgage broker. Find out how much you can borrow.

Is this what is called arranging provisional finance? I take it that this is the step at which it’s a good idea to get written confirmation from your bank about how much you can borrow, correct?

Find a property in your price range. Inspect it yourself.

Yup.

Make an offer (in person to the real estate agent.

Right. I have a few questions about this bit.

1. First up, the penguin home buyers guide says that after you have found an appropriate house, you should obtain the contract of sale. Is this the document that commonly used to make an offer? If not, what?

2. Many escape clauses have been mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Is whatever document the offer is made with the document on which these are listed? Or is there more than one document on which the relevant clauses are listed?

3. Is there an offer document that a real estate agent will try and get you to sign that should commonly be avoided? I’ve been reading about contract notes, for example, and they seem dead dodgy, as in the website posted below:.
    http://www.mericka.com.au/conveyancing/contractnote.shtml

4. As a general rule, would you say it’s a good idea to run through any offer document I sign to my real estate lawyer first?

5. In Queensland, are RE agents required to submit any offer I may make to the vendor?

Agree on a price.

As a general thing, is this usually done by the real estate agent physically taking the offer document to show and discuss with the seller, or is this commonly done over the phone? I’m just curious as to the usual timeframe of the offer process.

Look at the sale contract with a solicitor or an experienced investor that you trust. Make sure there is a condition on the contract about finance. It is usually 2 weeks to arrange finance and if you can’t, you can get out of the contract without a penalty. The same goes for building and pest inspections. The contract also states the date of “settlement” that’s when you become the owner.

Right. So these escape clauses (subject to building inspection satisfactory to the purchaser etc) go on the actual contract, then, and they’re only valid for two weeks. They are not valid up until the date of settlement. Is this correct?

So what happens if you have arranged your pest, building and any other relevant inspections, you successfully organise finance, all is well, and the two weeks expires. Whoever’s living in the house then trashes it, between the end of the two week period and settlement. Or maybe the vendor rips out all of the lights and sprinkler systems for the new house he’s building. So, effectively, you’re not getting what you’re obliged on the contract to pay for. What happens then?

So, after signing the contract,…

Probably a silly question, but this IS the same contract as referred to above as “contract of sale”, yes?

…call your mortgage broker with the details and he/she will look after you from there regarding finance. Call a professional builder who has insurance to do a building inspection and give you a written report. Same for pest inspection. These things should all be finalised by the “inspection date” that you agreed to on the contract.

The Penguin Home Buyer’s Guide also mentions getting a survey done. Is this normally required, or is it unusual?

If it’s all satisfactory, the contract becomes “unconditional” and you can’t get out of it without paying some penalty.

What kind of penalty is usually applied? Are we talking loss of deposit, or other? Generally, how does it work?

You should also have a conveyancing solicitor. Give their name to the agent at the start and they will take care of all the details (including building and pest insp sometimes).

Does all of the conveyancing take place during the two week period?

Another sourse of free info are legal secretaries. Go into a conv. solicitors office and talk to the person at the front desk.

Great source! Thanks!

You will have a solicitor, a lender and a RE agent all working to make sure everything goes ahead according to plan.

Judi

Thank you.

Originalsin.

Not dead yet.

Lo there do I see my father.
    Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers.
    Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
    Lo they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them.
    In the halls of Valhalla.
    Where the brave may live forever.

@melbear

Talk to a mortgage broker. Find out how much you can borrow.

Is this what is called arranging provisional finance? I take it that this is the step at which it’s a good idea to get written confirmation from your bank about how much you can borrow, correct?

Sort of. My first thought would be to find out from the Mortgage Broker a ballpark figure of what you can spend. Then you can put in an application to gain the provisional finance, and yes, you’d want to get it in writing!

Make an offer (in person to the real estate agent.

1. First up, the penguin home buyers guide says that after you have found an appropriate house, you should obtain the contract of sale. Is this the document that commonly used to make an offer? If not, what?

Some states yes, some no. Some actually have an ‘offer’ document. I would suggest obtaining Steve’s Buyer Beware templates. It goes into detail the steps required, and also has a template you could use to make your written offers.

2. Many escape clauses have been mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Is whatever document the offer is made with the document on which these are listed? Or is there more than one document on which the relevant clauses are listed?

3. Is there an offer document that a real estate agent will try and get you to sign that should commonly be avoided? I’ve been reading about contract notes, for example, and they seem dead dodgy, as in the website posted below:.
    http://www.mericka.com.au/conveyancing/contractnote.shtml

Use the one above.

4. As a general rule, would you say it’s a good idea to run through any offer document I sign to my real estate lawyer first?

Depending on your state. If the offer doc becomes the contract once countersigned by vendors, then get it run by solicitor. If you then have to sign contracts afterwards, make sure your solicitor goes through that first.

5. In Queensland, are RE agents required to submit any offer I may make to the vendor?

In all states.

Agree on a price.

As a general thing, is this usually done by the real estate agent physically taking the offer document to show and discuss with the seller, or is this commonly done over the phone? I’m just curious as to the usual timeframe of the offer process.

Either or. Verbal offers are done often on the phone. Written offers that will be countersigned obviously are done in person. My sales/purchases have all been verbal, as nothing is definite until the solicitors exchange the contracts.

So what happens if you have arranged your pest, building and any other relevant inspections, you successfully organise finance, all is well, and the two weeks expires. Whoever’s living in the house then trashes it, between the end of the two week period and settlement. Or maybe the vendor rips out all of the lights and sprinkler systems for the new house he’s building. So, effectively, you’re not getting what you’re obliged on the contract to pay for. What happens then?

Ask your solicitor. YOu need to make sure that whatever you want to remain in the house is listed as an inclusion in the contract. You would also be wise to take out building/contents insurance after exchange to cover yourself.

So, after signing the contract,…

Probably a silly question, but this IS the same contract as referred to above as “contract of sale”, yes?

Yep

The Penguin Home Buyer’s Guide also mentions getting a survey done. Is this normally required, or is it unusual?

Not always needed – but depends on the property. I have never had one done, but I guess it depends where you are buying.

If it’s all satisfactory, the contract becomes “unconditional” and you can’t get out of it without paying some penalty.

What kind of penalty is usually applied? Are we talking loss of deposit, or other? Generally, how does it work?

Unconditional generally will mean loss of deposit, and possiblity of having to make up any loss the vendor suffers on trying to sell again.

You should also have a conveyancing solicitor. Give their name to the agent at the start and they will take care of all the details (including building and pest insp sometimes).

Does all of the conveyancing take place during the two week period?

No. They take care of settlement, with the bank, the other solicitor etc. at the end as well. I always use a solicitor, and they advise the things I should get done, and do searches to ensure the vendor does own the place etc.

Cheers
    Mel

@originalsin

Thank you for your help.

I gather that the bank will want to inspect the property at some stage, to get a rough value of it and thereby ensure that it’s not lending you money on a lemon. Does this normally also happen within the two week period after exchange of contracts?

Not dead yet.

@originalsin

Also, is the “inspection date” agreed on the contract at the end of the two week period, or is it at a later time?

Not dead yet.

@melbear

In your loan app you need to put the contact details of the agent. The bank valuer will contact them and go out and have a look. You don’t necessarily get told when they are doing it.

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.