All Topics / Heads Up! / Property Investment Program

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of Ian McNabIan McNab
    @ian-mcnab

Hi All [:D]

I am a programmer by trade and a newbie as far as property investment goes. I can’t stand fiddling around with Excel, so I wrote a program to help me get a better feel for how the numbers (eg size of deposit, costs, etc) affect a deal.

The format is similar to the layout Steve uses in his book. (In fact the starting property is one of Steves examples).

I am making this program *FREE* to all who want to give it a go. Perhaps we can create a new area of software “MENTORWARE”!!!

My aims are thus:
    * a piece of free software which is targeted to looking at CF+ properties
    * a common reference point for people comparing returns
    * feedback to enable the program to develop the way you want it to [^]

Like Steve, I believe in Win-Win. You get a program which is (hopefully) useful, you suggest improvements and things based on your PI experience. I add the enhancements and we share a bit of knowledge.

All feedback (good or bad) and any bug reports [:0] welcome.

Now for the details:
    * Link : http://imcnab.customer.netspace.net.au
    * Requires screen resolution 800*600 or better
    * Requires Microsoft .NET frameworks 1.1 (link is available from my webpage – the frameworks are 20Mb – apologies to you dialup folks out there)

Installation instructions.
    1. If required, download the frameworks and install them, reboot if required
    2. Download the HLCalculator.zip.
    3. Open the ZIP and run SETUP.EXE

Please let me know what you think. While it is fairly simple at the moment, if we build up enough interest, we might be able to build something pretty sophisticated.

Cheers,
    Ian

Profile photo of Ian McNabIan McNab
    @ian-mcnab

Oh, and also, all the usual disclaimers apply, I’m a programmer not an accountant. Please seek a second (qualified) opinion before doing anything this program may recommend.

PS: I am working on an update at the moment which includes payback periods and allows you to load and save.

If we get some interest, I will make it available.

Cheers,
    Ian [:)]

@ian-mcnab

All,

Well, I’ve had a few reads but no responses[8)]
    Does this mean:

a. The program is of no interest?
    b. It is of no use?
    c. People have their own tools and don’t need it
    d. It could be interesting, but is currently to limiting?
    e. It looks interesting and they haven’t got around to commenting yet..

Seriously though, I am doing a bit of work on this and if I don’t get any interest on the forum, I will continue to develop it for my own use and learn about investing at the same time.

I have provided a new version on the website which has save & load capabilites and a help file as well as a number of links to various local council web sites.

I am releasing now as it is about to get a major overhaul and I want to release it while it is still reasonably stable.

Feedback as always (good, bad or indifferent) is welcome.

Ian

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

Hi there, I cant give you an answer yet
    I get worried about unzipping things, you know re virus things.
    As for being able to work it, dont knwo that either, and if I do have to download the 20mb file, i cant, I am on dialup and thats too big, kill my downloads and the server would kick me off before it has finished…
    yikes.

@ian-mcnab

Urgh, dialup…

Couldn’t go back there again, just too slow, ADSL is so more better [:p]

I know the 23 mb download is a pain, but it is a once off (required by any app written in MS .Net)

The version I am currently working on will have hooks into a bunch of websites, so from within the program you will just click a button to automatically search for property in a given town, or pull up the local council website.

Needless to say it will work best with broadband!
    If nothing else, I am having fun writing it.

As to how to use it, hopefully it is self explanitory, but there is a helpfile available with this version. It is a bit brief, but its a starting point. This this is very much a work in progress.

Cheers,
    Ian

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Hi Jan,
    I am very interested in your software, but 20mb, it will kill my dial up!

Regards
    Julian

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

20mb? you got to be kidding!

Good luck Ian, but I don’t many of us here willing to try with 20mb.

May be when I get back to work 2 week from now then I will give it ago!

Ian,

Try to come up with 2mb or less. You are a programmer I know you can do it. I am a programmer too.!

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to financial freedom]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by Chan$:

20mb? you got to be kidding!

Good luck Ian, but I don’t many of us here willing to try with 20mb.

May be when I get back to work 2 week from now then I will give it ago!

Ian,

Try to come up with 2mb or less. You are a programmer I know you can do it. I am a programmer too.!

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

Add to quote!

But not a good programmer…LOL…

Warm Regards

ChanDollars

@ian-mcnab

My program is only 420Kb zipped, its the damn MS Frameworks [:(!] which are so big!

Ever seen a small service pack??

Apologies….

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Cannot speak for others.

I’ve just downloaded the files and during the next few days will get around to installing and working with it.

Perhaps the people who have difficulty downloading because of its size may be interested in paying $ 10 or so to get it on a CD disk ?

Cheap if it is of benefit.

Pisces

Profile photo of ShusharShushar
    @shushar

My operating system is XP Professional – so I didn’t need the extra installation it is already there.

I downloaded the program and think it has alot of potential.

In the first 5 mins of use however I found one thing very annoying – trying to use the TAB button didn’t take me to the next field I needed to fill in. [:(]

Also, the purchase price I am trying to input includes stamp duty so it became slightly frustrating.

As I started with however – there is alot of potential here. Well done!

[^]

Shushar

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi Ian

I have downloaded, but I am really slack and haven’t installed yet. Sorry [:(]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of tomoritomori
    @tomori

Hi there – would love to try this out but being on the rural fringes of Sydney precludes anything other than dialup.
    Any chance of cutting discs for a small fee?

Cheers, Paul.

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

Hi
    thnaks for your program. suggestions and question
    1. you only have address option for OZ what about NZ?
    2. what is in deductions, I have 5 buttons with memory next to them, when I pressed tham I lost all my data
    3.what is the bank depoit section for

4. what about time line over the time of the loan to see what your cost/profit will be over time
    5. councilo section is blank
    recovery
    hope this is helpfull, because i AM IMPRESSED WITH YOUR PROGRAM

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

@ian-mcnab

1. I am in the process of upgrading the program to a database which will cater for AU & NZ.

Given that NZ don’t have states, this will be set to N/A. I will be including a coutry field. Though I will need help if there are variances in tax laws (undoubtedly).

2. Deductions doesn’t do anything yet. It is a work in progress (I should have hidden it as it is confusing a few people).

The memory buttons were going to be used to save various scenarios for a given property so you could flip-flop between them for comparisons. But as the next version will support multiple scenarios, they will propabbly be removed.
    Buttons 1 and 2 at the moment will autogenerate data based on two of steve’s examples from his book.

3. The bank deposit section is to give you a comparison position. eg Assuming that you took the initial cash required, and just put it in a bank term deposit at say 3.5%. A ‘$ above bank rate’ value means that your property will make more money than if it was in a term deposit. It is just another ratio to consider along with CoCR.

4. Will do a time line (once I figure out out to do GDI+ graphics!) What specifically are you looking for? The repayment amount typically won’t move (interest rate changes excepted), are you looking for increased profit vs CPI??

5. Yup, only one council (VIC / Banyule) is coded in this version. The one I am working on has all Victorian local councils linked. I will eventually get to all of them, but cutting and pasting all the council names and web addresses takes a while.
    The point of this was to be able to locate your property in a given council and be able to hotlink straight to that properties local council for specific information.
    Stage 2 will be to hotlink to real estate agent pages local in that area.

Do you have addresses where I can find NZ local council links?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ian

@ian-mcnab

Also, on the topic of mailing out CD’s with the program, if you want to drop me a private email with a contact address, I’ll see what I can do.

Happy to make this one a freebie (as long as I don’t get buried in too many requests for CD’s.)[^]

Ian

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

ian
    thanks for your imput
    time line are anything you can, mainly the reduction in repayments and the increase in rents and there influence on r/t
    I have asked for addresses where I can find NZ local council links? on the general page
    recovery

“I should be content to look at a mountain for what it is and not as a comment on my life” D. Ignatow

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.