All Topics / Finance / Quick and simple finance question.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Hi all!
    This is a pretty vague question but I’ll briefly describe my situation. My partner and I currently own two investment properties, the first is in an inner-western suburb here in Sydney (Roselands), the other in a beachside suburb in Adelaide (Glenelg North). We are looking at buying another property towards the end of the year (August/September) and were wondering what our chances would be.

The properties were valued at $500k 2 months ago and we owe the bank $415k. How much more equity would we need to buy another property for around $200 to $250k? We are paying interest and principle on the loan and will hopefully be making regular payments on top of this. I know this is a very rough guide and I apologize, but we’re really excited with our purchases and are really looking forward to our next one. Any help is much appreciated!

If any more info is needed please let me know.. and before anyone points it out.. our properties didn’t meet the 11 second rule lol [:D]

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Newgen,
    A refinance at 95% on the current valuation of 500K less the 415K debt, will leave you with 60K for a deposit,
    Expect to pay a higher rate, approx 0.3% above the SVR to cover the LMI on a 95% lend.
    Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:0402483216
    Victoria

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of TheFinanceManTheFinanceMan
    @thefinanceman

Hi Newgen,
    Don’t attempt to have all your loans cross-collateralised with a new lender and mortgage insurer. If you do, your total borrowings would exceed $500K and this can be difficult and expensive. (it would only assessed on a case by case basis – in other words other factors must be strong i.e. income, stability etc.

But the killer would be the LMI premium!! If you are not contributing any further funds other than ‘equity’ the overall deal would be above 90% which one mortgage insurer would charge an LMI fee in the vicinity of $15-17K. [8]

Even the MI on the refinance of your existing loans up to 95% only, would attract between $10K – $12K LMI fee. Better though I suppose…

I would do one of two things.

1/ ask your existing lender – if you refinance up to 95% of your current properties, how much extra LMI would be payable above and beyond what you have already presumably paid when you originaly purchased/refinanced?

2/ try to save the 3-5% of the purchase price + costs on the new purchase of $250K then LMI would only be $4K-6K.[:)]

Hope this helps,
    MortMan
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Some lenders will cover the LMI on a 90% refinance, this is covered by the extra 0.3% above the SVR
    In some cases e.g., St George with a strong application will do a 95% refinance with the 0.3%

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:0402483216
    Victoria

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

Not many lenders will refinance up to 95%, 90% is generally the maximum.

Theoretically as long as your overall LVR is 95% or less and you have the income to service the loans then it may be OK. So add up the values of all thre properties and the existing loans together with what you need to finance the new purchase and see what you get.

I get $500,000 plus $200,000 = $700,000 in value
    loans $415,000 plus $210,000 = $625,000 in loans
    The overall LVR would be 89%.

So yes it would be possible to borrow this amount, but you still must have the income to service the loan.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen

Awesome, thanks for all the replies everybody. It looks as though this may be a feasible goal! :) Hopefully in a few months we would have built up enough additional equity and paid off some more of the loan to put us in a more secure position to go ahead with the next purchase. Our loan is through the CBA/Colonial and we’re paying 6.4% interest fixed for 3yrs. We had quite a few headaches with the latest purchase as we had some communication problems with our mortgage broker (to put it politely). I know where we’ll be refinancing next time :) Thanks again everybody!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.