All Topics / General Property / Worst Tenant Experience

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Hi

What is your worst Tenant Experience? So far I have been lucky. The only rent I have ever lost is between tenants.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

My story isn’t shocking but was a bit stressful at the time. I had a tenant without an agent involved. I was overseas when he decided to suddenly stop paying rent. I had to rely on my poor old parents to hassle him etc. Eventually I told him I was appointing a managing agent and that seemed to scare him off. We called a locksmith and forced entry to the house – alarm was set so we had to smash that to stop it (the tenant had installed it). We discovered that he had converted the bathroom into a dope growing operation – holes in the floorboards for draining etc etc. So I had some repairs, lost rent and was hit for a very large water bill that this guy ran up whilst running his ‘nursery’ businees. Oh and also I had every druggie from Perth to Armadale knocking on the front door for teh next 3 montsh ask for “Dan” ! A lesson well learnt there… if a tenant slips on paymenst, act fast. Do full regualr inspections, and in my opinion, use a managing agent! Also get good landlords insurance.

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

My worst tenant came with the property. I changed managing agents when I settled because the agent when I purchased had let the tenant instal Pay TV despite being behind in rent. The original managing agent had told me what a good tenant this person was. Tenant almost straightened out arrears as we put them on Centrelink then his de facto left. Tenant bashed up another tenant, broke the windows in another flat and when he was evicted stole the airconditioning system. My managing agent handled everything and did a great job. Having a good managing agent removed a lot of stress. I was 200 km away from the property travelling to a meeting several hundred k’s away when I got the news. Agents organised window replacement, locks etc, principal went and spoke to the other tenants.
    I figure it works both ways with agents. good ones take the stress away, but they’re in a pretty thankless position being the meat in the sandwich between the tenant and us. If the agent rings me and the tenant wants a repair or something minor even if they are not strictly entitled to it, it gets authorised straight away. This is partly selfish on my part. My agent handles a lot of property. My property is at the cheaper end of the market so it’s not a great moneyspinner for them. If i help them keep a tenant happy I’m making their job easier and I’m also making it more likely the tenant will stay longer so ultimately more money ends up in my pocket. I also send my agent flowers once a year

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

This happened 2e years ago and was the only time we have ever used a Property Manager. Happened to be driving past our 34 sq luxury less than a year old house and noticed the tenants were moving out. Also knew they were behind in the rent so called the Agent who said he would fix it. Of course he did nothing, rent remained unpaid and tenants left the contents of their freezer on the kitchen floor. We had the job of cleaning the maggots etc off the floor as the rent owed was greater than the bond and in those days we needed all the money we could get just to pay for the place. Never had a problem self managing any other properties.

If I knew then what I know now……….you know how it goes

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Ours was a solicitor. He’s obviously one of those ‘victim’ mentality people.

Unfortunately, they lost their house in the Canberra Bushfires last year. They have onsold their land for a massive price – more than their house cost, so add to that their insurance payout, and hey, instant $600K or so.

I offered to provide furniture, and that they could keep it after 12 months. It was a brand new townhouse, so had some issues that the builder would have to fix – providing he was told about them. The guy refused to allow anybody access except between 8.15 and 8.30. Not finished by then, well, come back tomorrow and i might let you in.

Short story, they must have found their new ‘dream house’, plus their insurance that paid for the rent had run out, so, let’s find a way to break the lease shall we. they took US to the tribunal, where the tribunal apologised for keeping Dr ****** waiting (?!), and allowed him to gain a break in the lease, but also ordered us to pay compensation of $700 for not having the problems fixed – plus some money for some other problems that they only now decided to mention!!

I will never again rent to a solicitor! We’ve since sold that townhouse – too much hassle.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all Gee its good therapy to get it off you chest

Mine was about 4 yrs ago i decided to manageone of our properties myself in a city 30km away (Ararat Vic). I met the potential tenant (a single mum and 2 children. she had her mum with her also they were all nice people. so i checked the local property manager who i knew and i got the OK. Soon after she moved in she got back with her ex husband. Then the fun started he was selling drugs, all hours of the night and day people were calling to his house. Soon all the neighbours started ringing me and telling me the problems, anyway i bluffed him out of the house (after a few sleepless night). It really was very stressful the whole experience. Other tenant problems have been covered by Landlord insurance like the $5000 damage to a house in Clarendonvale TAS, so as stressful really.

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

My parents have had a stack of rental property ever since I was 8. Back about 14 years ago, my mother had trouble with one of the tenants. And it got too much for her to sort out, so I took over.

– as the story goes, it was a 4 pack block of flats in a lower socio economic area. A young 18yo girl, first time out of home, living upstairs got friendly over several weeks with the charming tattoed electrician downstairs. This guy had come recommended by his uncle who was living in one of the other properties we had.

– Anyway, one night they have a party. The electrician and his mate get the girl drunk, then have their way with her sexually, against her will apparently.

– they tell her male flatmate that if he says anything, then they will put him in a wheelchair.

– first consequence. she comes around the next day seriously distraught, not revealing why, and gives immediate notice. = loss of one good tenant.

– second consequence. I am ropeable after talking with the male flatmate. We talk to the girl’s parents and the male flatmate to get them to go to the police. they don’t want to. apparently she had been flirtatious, but apparently not enough to invite being raped by two assholes.

– third consequence. I ask the electrician to leave. He decides to go away for 5 weeks without paying rent before telling us where he is. Therefore we have a flat with his stuff in it, and he obviously knew how much time he could be away before we could legally enter the flat and take the stuff out.

– so he shows up one day. I am there on the spot asking him to leave. He wants to have a fight. I said I had found out he was on probation and I’d let him throw a punch and immediately have the police there and go to all limits to see him charged with breaking probationary rules. He backs off. And says he is leaving that day.

– the mistake i made was to say leave the key on the kitchen bench when you’ve gone. The next day, we go up to the flat, with another key, and he has trashed the place. Punched holes in all the walls. Pulled the oven out of the wall and smashed it with a sledge hammer. ripped up all the curtains, rubbed sh.t all through the carpet and on the ceilings. smashed the kitchen cupboards, and all the bathroom tiles.

– apparently one other tenant was home at the time, but didn’t want to get involved.

– we got the police in, and got this response:
    “did you see him do it”
    we say no
    they say
    “then there’s nothing we can do about it. claim it on your insurance.”

I was younger then, not so young now.

So, when I hear about all the upside on the forum, I look back on the 37 years I have been involved in rentals (parents had 15 rentals) and wonder if the downside is being glossed over. I should add that my parent’s properties were in a reasonable area when first built, and we had reasonable tenants. But as the properties aged in style and the suburb demographic went south, sheet happened…….
    BTW, I wasted a lot of breath telling my parents to sell these properties and buy something in a better suburb.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I rented a property in Brisb years ago, young then too.
    AT one time we had managers, and they were damn hopeless, I felt like I was being treated like the village idiot. They let the tenants get behind. They damaged the stove and the bathroom tiles. Real Estate said they were old anyway.

Later, we self managed and that didnt help either. tenant was going to buy from us, pay rent to begin. He also got behind and all our haggling did nothing. He skipped owing thousands in the end.

I expect to have problems with the current tenants, lets see what this property manager does.

Worst I had was a pile of broken tiles, stolen flyscreen doors, holes in walls and loss of rent

Elves

Profile photo of CornelBassonCornelBasson
    Participant
    @cornelbasson

wow I have my first tenants moving in on Friday but I think my pm is pretty good…but I am very nervous now after hearing all these stories….

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi CornelBasson
    Remember how many rental properties there are and think about how many this sort of stuff really happens to, and relax. Yes, it happens, but not frequently.
    Now that you’re relaxed, make VERY VERY sure you have at least building insurance with a public liability element, and if you can’t afford to cover cashflow if your rental property is out of action for a few months, or a big repair bill, get landlords insurance too.
    Yes, it costs a few hundred dollars up front, and hopefully you will never need it, but I can tell you one thing, if you’re in a situation where you need it and you DON’T have it, and don’t have the money to cover the problem, you are REALLY going to regret it.
    Horror tenant stories shouldn’t scare you, they should encourage you to be prepared for every eventuality.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

FW

I totally agree. When purchasing a property, you also need to consider the type of tenants your property attracts.

That may also be why you may get a better return from some properties over others. I for one would rather get a lower rental return knowing that the property will attract better type renters.

Just another consideration in addition to the 11 sec rule.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.