All Topics / General Property / to manage or not to manage

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of Phil_2Phil_2
    @phil_2

The lease on our 1st IP is about to expire and we’re thinking of managing it ourselves, cause the agent’s been pretty lazy and I can’t see the point of spending that much money for nothing, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about managing it yourself?

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

Yes know the rules as a landlord, but importantly know your tenants rights and rules…because you can bet they will.

Check out the Resdidential tenancies for whatever state you are in, all sorts of info, as does fair trading web site.

Keep good records,
    Vett your tenants
    have a lease
    have a property report completed
    make sure you lodge a bond with the bond board
    give receipts
    be accurate in your record keeping
    try and remain removed emotionally from the experice
    be warned, if self managing, you will get the calls! That can mean no peace and you phone number is out there and open to abuse.

there are heaps more, but I am brain dead

@elves

sorry spelling mistakes….fingers are doing the walking tonight

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

also if you manage yourself you don’t have that impartial wall between you and the tenant. With an agent you can play the whole good owner / mean agent routine. property management is a numbers game from what I can gather – you may have 100 properties on your rent roll and 4 or 5 may give you all the headaches. If you manage yourself, your rent roll consists of just your properties. chancs are they will be fine, but if 1 or 2 give you headaches you will need more than a disprin to solve it. any PM’s out there care to comment?

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Ausprop is right. It is sheer lunacy to want to manage your properties yourself.

For one thing, if one is one step removed from the tenant one doesn’t have to listen to the hard luck stories.

For another thing, if the tenant knows you and you have made it your business to be friendly, the moment he finds himself into strife his priority to pay the rent to you immediately gets moved downwards a few notches (Oh, John is a nice guy, he wouldn’t mind, he will bear with me).

These two factors alone make it worthwhile to distance oneself from the tenant.

Pisces

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi Phil and all

i’ve managed properties myself and it’s areal hassle, not worth it in my opinion, think of the worst senario, do you want to deal with it or would you rather have someone else. i’ve managed a property 30km away and put in anice single mum, but she got back with her drug selling husband who caused heeps of problems, i had the neighbours of the property ringing me and complaining, this is one of the few times i’velost sleep over properties.
    hey but it will give you a good idea of what PM have to go through, so yes give it a try.

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Is your property in a really small place with only one PM? Otherwise I would just sack them and let another PM take over.
    May be you can ask on this forum if somebody knows of a good PM in the area.

I love having a PM, apparently there were lots of little things, small repairs the tenants wanted fixed the week before Xmas. I never knew anything about it until last week-my PM took great care of it, tenants were happy and I didn’t have any hassles before Christmas. Love it.[:D]

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Property management fees are the best for peace of mind. Sure sometimes they get paid for merely banking cheques and sending me the difference, but when there are problems thats when they earn their money and I have some peace of mind.

Profile photo of Phil_2Phil_2
    @phil_2

thanks all.
    I have 3 friends that manage their own properties and they have no prob’s, they tell me it’s a sinch.
    Anyone else got opinions

Profile photo of Buzz LightyearBuzz Lightyear
    Participant
    @buzz-lightyear

A good working relationship with a PM is as good as investment as great tenants and good sales agent contacts. Give the current people the flick and find someone, who will give you the information, insight for future purchases. Know your longer term vision with regard to IP and let them know. All PM’s and sales agents in my experience respond well to this approach. In my opinion, 3, 5, 7% or whatever commission you are charged, is a small price to pay.

James

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>I have 3 friends that manage their own properties and they have no prob’s, they tell me it’s a cinch.
    Anyone else got opinions<<

One swallow doesn’t make summer.
    Three swallows friends don’t make summer.

I suggest you don’t ask any more of your friends for their experience in managing their properties as otherwise you may spoil the record [;)]

Pisces

@elves

anyway PM’s are a tax deduction

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Hi Phil,

Well, most here are against managing themselves, however we do manage one of ours ourselves and haven’t had a problem. We gave the tenant our mobile number only though and not the home phone number in case problems did arise in the future, at least we could turn the mobile off in there were to call in the middle of the night on a vindictive streak. Never happened yet, but that’s our peace of mind. Also, due to the expense of mobiel phone calls they only ring when there is a genuine porblem.

The other thing we did was a “To Let Only” contact with an agent so they did the proper checks etc of the tenant and then we took over afterwards. Tenant has a deposit book for our account so we don’t need to collect it, just check it’s in. The agent who did the “To Let Only” lease did advise that if ever we changed our mind, he’d happily take it on, so we have that to fall back on if needed too.

We have never “got friendly” with our tenant. If they ring with a problem we get a tradesperson out to fix it straightaway, so that there hasn’t been time for a relationship to occur. The relationship is strictly tenant/landlord.

Our other properties are managed and future one well all be managed as we do have limited time. However, I like to have a hand in somewhere, it keeps me realilsitic about what is necessary and what can be expected when you are paying someone else.

I rekon, give it a go but keep on OK terms with the current PM in case you need them later. No sense in burning your bridges.

Well, looking back over everyone else’s comments I can see I’m a minority here, but well, you asked for opinions so there’s mine.

Regards
    PurpleKiss

Fortune Favours the Bold.

Profile photo of Mick INCMick INC
    @mick-inc

I manage all my IP’s and haven’t had any major probs.
    I quite enjoy it. The only bad experiences I’ve had is with property managers.

I say “if you want something done right – do it yourself”. Now that’s what I call piece of mind!!!!

My only advise is be organised and professional, you only have one IP to manage so you should be able to do better than a PM who looks after over 100 IP’s

And get onto overdue rent straight away

Have Fun!!!!

@phil_2

Thanks Purple Kiss & Mick
    That is what I wanted to hear, we havn’t been impressed with our current PM, so I think we can do better than them, actually doing nothing would be more than them. Can you reccomend a PM in Perth.

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

Hi Phil ,
    Since your lease is about to end and presuming the same tennants will sign a new lease you should be able to get the info from your current pm on whether the tennant were paying the rent on time everytime . This would be agood guide on whether it is a good idea or not to manage yourself. However if they were irregular and took phonecalls and follow ups to get a few rent checks i would deffiantely stay with a PM . But if they are good payers and not on the phone aking for maintance every second day you would think the odds are in your favour that it should be a fairly painless procedure managing it yourself.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken !

@phil_2

1 question
    do you need to get a solicitor to draw up a lease or is the agreement form that you can buy enough?

Participant
    @purplekiss

Phil,

I didn’t realise you were also in Perth. You don’t need a solicitor. But go to the newsagent and buy a book called “The Landlord’s Handbook”, it’s under $20 (your looking for a blue covered book about A4 in size). Not all newsagents stock it, but quite a few do, so shop around, if you can’t find it then ring The Dept of Consumer and Employment Protection, they will post out but will charge you for the postage on top of the book. The book covers everything to meet WA laws from leases, to lodging your bonds, property condition reports, to breaches, to lodging documents with the courts and even “abandoned goods”. It covers the lot, you can’t go wrong if you read this.

Regards
    PK

@phil_2

thanks PK I already got the book. can I get the forms from the book at the newsagent too? Do I use the agreement form they sugest, will it stand up in court?

Participant
    @purplekiss

Hi Phil,

Yes you can purcahse the agreements forms at the newsagency or alternatively, type it out yourself (bit time consuming). Yes, it’ll stand up in court as long as both parties have agreed and signed. You can even delete or add items as long as you don’t breach the Tenancy Act.

You can also purchase an information sheet called “Residentail Tenancies Act 1987 Information for Tenant”. I give this to the tenant at the same time as giving/sending them the lease to sign so that they know that I know their rights and hopefully won’t try and pull anything else over me.

Also read page 15 of the book “re-newing a lease”. If your tenant is staying then they don’t have to sign a new lease, it’s their choice. It then becomes a periodical tenancy rather than a fixed term tenancy.

Regards
    PK

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.