All Topics / Help Needed! / What to look for.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of happydragonhappydragon
    @happydragon

Hi Guys,

Like many I’m new to the forum, and I need some help.

I’ve found a block of 8 units for $170k with a weekly rent of $620 when fully let. I am going to have a look at it tomorrow and without stealing any of Steve’s thunder (I wanted to get Buyer Beware but the bloody things on back order. [:(!]) can you give me some suggestions of what to look for initially to ensure it’s not structurally a dog or need $$$$$$$ of repairs.

Thanks

George.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Thanks for letting us know Buyer Beware is on back order, George :)) Nice first post ;)

kay henry

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi George,

Welcome to the forum [:)]
    I’m unsure from your limited description where these blocks are, however they might be older and in need of re-wiring, perhaps re-plumbing, re-guttering, re-roofing etc. These items need to be checked out professionally. However there are a few things you can do yourself…even if the RE agent thinks you’ve gone loopy [:0]

Don’t forget to talk to some neighbours to the block, that might let you know what sort of tenant it attracts [;)]
    Just use your senses.
    Hearing – Listen for noise, be it scratching noises (rodents or roaches), traffic noises etc. Knock on wood (truely!) and listen for any hollowness or vibration under your hand (ie. at door jambs, window frames, archetravings etc). Walk on the floor and listen for any creaks (if there are floor boards)
    Smell – any smell of rot/rising damp etc, run a tap and smell the water that comes out. Carpets can also carry smell (but I’ll leave the reason for that out from this post [;)]).
    Taste – that’s if your game drinking the water after you’ve smelled it! [;)]
    Sight – Wallpaper (used to mask a multitude of sins [}:)]), Paint flaking off (can also be because of rising damp) New painting especially on ceilings of bathrooms (cover moisture damage). If electricity connected, check if fans are working in bathrooms. Generally your bathrooms and Kitchens are the most expensive to replace. Roofing (downpipes and grates) might be a bit difficult to check if it’s a block of flats though. Check that the toilet flushes/adequate water pressure…
    Get a marble and place it in 1 corner of the room (on flat surface) and see where it travels to. That’s the slope of the floor. Do this in the bathroom, (in case it floods you want to make sure that there is a drain at the lowest point of the slope).
    Look at the laundry area (not sure from your description if it is a communial laundry room or in indivudaul units).
    Look to see if flywire doors, doors and windows open freely or not. Also check cupboard doors or any sliding doors that they open gracefully or not. Believe it or not, a couple of places I went to, I’ve had door knobs and even doors come off in my hand [:I]
    Touch Well you’ve walked around and opened doors, now if you suspect any rising damp, feel the walls with an open palm against the wall, especially in bathrooms and of the adjoining the wall where the shower/bath recess is (usually another room which shares the same wall).
    If Kitchen is tiled (or any tiled areas in bathroom or kitchen), run your hand with firm pressure over the tiles to see if they are securely adhered to the wall/splash back. Check that grouting is complete. If kitchen benches are laminate, make sure that at seams at the kitchen sink (or where ever there is a laminate seam) the laminate is flush with the adjoining sheet of laminate. If not, there could be swelling underneath the laminate sheet due to water seepage.

I hope this helps some… it’s a long post I know.
    Don’t be afraid to look funny doing these things infront of the RE agent…after all it’s your 170K at risk, not the RE’s.

Have a look to see if there are any little cosmetic things you can do to improve the look and feel of the place, cheaply.

Let us know if you buy them. Sounds nicely cash flow +ve assuming they are all rented out.
    Good Luck George!

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

What a great post alot there i hadnt thought about. Might have to go and find my kids marbles………….LOL

Thanks Sooshie

Regards Bear

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

HI Sooshie
    great post, we do most of these things but it was good confirmation of what others do.
    Erika

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Great post Sooshie – very informative and effort like that from people like you make this forum great!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Happydragon,

A simple due dilligence can be, a builders/pest inspector report, talking to locals, asking further more questions with the real estate agents. Or even a quick search about the area on the interent.

Even just talking to the locals, you learn so much.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of happydragonhappydragon
    @happydragon

Hi Guys

Thanks to Sooshie and Sis for the advice.

I went and had a look today. “good condition” is obviously “Agent speak” for delapidated, rundown and being in need of major repairs.

On top of that in the last 12 months it has had an occupancy rate of just over 50% (Doesn’t that hurt positive cashflow!!!!).

But life is a learning curve , so onto the next one.

regards

Happydragon

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi George,

I think it still might be a goer, depending on how much you can negotiate on price. Perhaps vendor can leave money in the deal, then you’d have money to do the place up (if it’s worth it ?).

I forgot to mention, that you can get a little plug which you insert into the powerpoint and little LED’s light up if there is any power leakage. Dick Smith Electronics or Tandy sell them if I recall. It doesn’t replace a true electrical report, but it can tell you if there are any problems. This gadget is worth buying!

Glad you enjoyed my post [:D]

Cheers
    Soosh [:)]

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Participant
    @bear1964

Happy Dragon, this is how I start finding info out.

1st stop in town local bakeries, sandwich bars where the owners know most of the people around that are worth knowing. Ask them about who of the locals do property investing locally. If no luck str8 to the pub around lunch or dinnertime. Some there will know something.

Once u know the locals that invest in the area themselves, find out what other business they do in the area. More times then not they own a local business. Anything from local masseur to builder, to even Real Estate agent. Whatever the case is then head to their offices make a business query and maybe even hire their services for something small. Ideally around lunchtime then by them lunch.

Amazing what u will find out thru this process. Works very well for me.

Regards Bear

PS one thing I have found where ever I go tho , most locals will always say u are paying too much coz they know what the property was worth 2 years ago and freak at current prices.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Happydragon,
    Don’t give in so easily. Like Sooshie said, you have a lot of room for negotiation.
    There is a person on this forum who advocates finding a problem and solving it, I think you found a problem!
    What is the area like? Was this place in amongst other rundown props or was the area decent?
    Might be worth a professional opinion on the price of fixing the place.
    Find out the vacancy rate of the area. It moght be that this place was a dump causing the 50% occupancy rate. If it was more appealing, tennants would probably stay longer.
    Basically, do more research on the area before you give up on these units, step back and take a look at the big picture.
    Cheers,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Any chance of making this a sticky? some great info here

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Participant
    @bear1964

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWww What makes a post Sticky?? im not sure i wana know [:o)]

Regards Bear[:o)]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.