All Topics / General Property / Company investing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of troyidtroyid
    @troyid

I own a successful company which has significant profits to invest with.

Is it wise to invest in property using a company?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi troyid

If it’s a trading company, then definitely not.

The problem with investing in appreciating assets in a company is that there is no CGT exemption, and will always be taxed at 30%. You have very little flexibility in distributing those funds afterwards also.

A discretionary trust is a better option – with corporate trustee, as this gives you better options tax wise when distributing profits. As for getting the money out of the company – perhaps you could lend it to the trust at the lowest rate the ATO will allow?

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Troyid,

Depending on if you are just wanting to purchase just +ve cash flow properties, use the Family Discretionary Trust.

If wanting to purchase both -ve and +ve cashflow properties it is ideal to use a Hybrid Trust.

Though not sure what exaclty your interest are, though if you like to invest into all types of investments, ideally again you should use a Multi-Sector Trust

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of troyidtroyid
    @troyid

Hello,

Thank you Mel and Sis.

I have a discretionary trust, and have just checked with the ATO regards the interest rate required to please them.

Why can’t I use the discretionary trust to purchase negative geared property?

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Troyid,

A Family Trust, must run at a profit, losses are carried over into the next year and that you can not offset it against a lost. Which means taxs benefits are slightly different.

With Hyrbrid Trust, when you purchase -ve geared property you are runing it at a loss, thus mean you can offset this loss against another preforming asset or distribute all profits, so that the loss is minimal.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of fiby30fiby30
    @fiby30

SiS,

Is it also true that a Hybrid trust carries on losses indefinately?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Any trust can carry losses-I beleive indefinitly until a profit is made.

Troyid, maybe you company shares can be owned by a discretionary trust. All profit could then flow to the trust and from there distributed elsewhere at the trustees discretion. (possibly with franking credits).

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

That’s smart thinking Terry. I reckon that idea has been in my head, but never really been crystalised before. [:)]

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.