All Topics / General Property / kiwi property investing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of deano_2deano_2
    @deano_2

As I’m new to this site, I may have missed previous discussion.
    Does anyone have experience of this positive cash flow model in the New Zealand scene?
    What are the pitfalls and successes for a new player?
    Thoughts and experiences most welcome.
    Deano

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I remember seeing some posts that finance isn’t so easy to obtain in New Zealand.

Can anyone throw some light on this ?

Pisces133

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Deano,

Related links to NZ investing as follows:

http://propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4982&SearchTerms=nzl
    http://propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6307
    http://propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4143
    There are a lot more just do the search.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

hi there,

benefits – higher yields and cheaper prices
    often regional towns are much less remote than their Australia counterparts, so more accessible beause NZ is more compact

pitfalls -may be harder to get to know the market.
    other practical issues of living further away from IP (though bizarrely, might and up being closer than an Australian regional IP

tax returns in two countries and accountants in both who can communicate

trickier to get finance perhaps as a non-resident.

I don’t have any finance yet but from people i know, the ones who have found it easiest is those who had finance sorted out here in advance and went to NZ as cash buyers.

Others I know have found it relatively easy to get finance in NZ, either through a broker or direct with banks that don’t use brokers i.e. ANZ, Kiwibank, BNZ

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi deano

welcome to the forum

the market has moved up a lot in NZ recently and good deals are hard to find, some towns where i was buying 6 months ago have virtually run out of cash positive properties. New properties are comming on the market all the time you just need to be knowledged up about areas, take the time to visit the place, you might like it. We did. we moved over here 12 days ago to invest and enjoy life. anyway there are still deals to be made, i bought 2 flats for $65,000 (just paid the deposit today) in a town of 9,000 the flats will rent for $100-110pw so $65k for $200-220pw.
    What is happening in NZ reminds me of Oz about 12 months ago.

regards westan

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Westan,
    Great to see you back in the forum.[:)] It’s also good to hear that things are working out well for you. Sounds like a good pick up on the flats.
    Cheers,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of deano_2deano_2
    @deano_2

Many thanks to those who took the time to reply. This forum obviously works well.
    I have found more useful discussion in the archived material too.
    So where to now?
    Any experiences in + cashflow in the South Island?
    Specifically thinking Invercargill, Dunedin and Ashburton. Slightly different rationale for each of these areas,but hopefully still some bargains with a bit of work to find them?
    Is the student population in Dunedin a captive market?
    regards
    Deano

CDEAN

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Deano

Welcome to the forum.

Have you researched properties available on http://www.realenz.co.nz which lists most properties available in NZ?
    From this web site you will find the individual RE agents web sites and phone numbers. Contact them to find out more about the properties and the district they are in.

Get yourself a book with all the roadmaps of the cities and towns in the South Island.(Try Dimocks)

From The RE agents get contact numbers for Property Managers in the areas that you are interested in. Contact them about specific areas and how easy it is to rent and what the average rents are.

Also check out http://www.minhousing.govt.nz which lists the ave rents over the last six months in all areas of NZ from bonds received by the Tenancy Tribunal.

Expect to have a large phone bill.

Regards

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

deano,

yep you should find some good properties in the areasyou mentioned and their surrounding areas and towns too. Various industries going in.

Dunedin, yeah, i think I read that they had – or are having – an increase of several thousand more students.
    Traditionally (in my day hehe) NZ student accom is a bunch of students sharing a flat, and the ‘new’ trend of purpose-built or customised student accom complete with broadband or whatever, I think is still a wee way behind how it is in Aussie. In fact quite a lot of trends in Aussie NZ hasn’t got yet, quite a good way of ‘predicting’ what will happen in NZ in the future I reckon.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi all

deano i was in Dunedin last week, rents are increasing again this year, Dunedin has a population of 100,000 plus 25,000 students. i was talking with my rental manager in Dunedin this morning (my tenant has moved out). she said the demand has been quieter this year for student rental for some unknown reason??? the school year for Otago Uni doesn’t start till late feb.

pieces i think if people hunt around they will easily find finance in NZ, however if you approach banks in Oz then it may be difficult. I’ve found ANZ here (in NZ) excellent so far.

mini are you heading to christchurch on your travels? i might be up that way if you have a few hours free if you have time to catch up?

regards westan

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Student accommodation is certainly an emerging and profitable sector in New Zealand, specifically Dunedin. Although I am not involved in this sector, I know of several investors who have found it to be very profitable.

Market data we have received suggests Otago [Queenstown, Wanaka, Dunedin etc] is predicted to continue its “boom” cycle for at least another two years which reflects supply/demand.

Dunedin itself has experienced very good growth in the past 12 months – median SFH sale Dec 02 was $116K, in Dec 03 $164K [or +~42%]

In terms of institutional lenders, we spent considerable time reviewing banks in New Zealand. The best and most flexible we found is ASB Bank [www.asbbank.co.nz], whether you are a foreign or local investor.

If you have security where the loan originates i.e. equity or otherwise, the banks are willing to lend funds. Especially New Zealand at this time due to the short-term forecast appreciation of land/property values.

— Michael

Profile photo of SergeMatonSergeMaton
    @sergematon

WELLINGTON PRIME AREA INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY – 8% NET YIELD G’TEED FOR FOUR YEARS
    I am selling several (up to seven in total) four star one bedroom and two bedroom off-plan serviced flats in a new development in Bolton Street, Wellington (prime area near the Parliament Building, various ministries and government institutions, 15 min. walk from the rugby stadium). Completion is in November 2004, deposit is 10%. The serviced flats will be managed by an onsite experienced operator who will let them like a hotel bedroom. The occupancy rate in that market in Wellington is in the region of 75%. The operator of the development guarantees a net rental income of NZD 18,912.50 for the one beds and NZD 28,262.50 for FOUR YEARS from completion (with 12 months of income to be held on an escrow account). I am selling the one beds which come complete with a luxury furniture package included in the price for NZD 236,400 and the 2 beds for NZD 353,280. The guaranteed income is equivalent to an 8% yield. After 4 years, there is no more income guarantee, but the owner can benefit from the upside (the manager keeps all income over this 8% return for the first 4 years, and afterwards is incentivised to generate more than 8% yield). The contract is assignable, so you can sell on before completion if you want to.
    The GST is chargeable at 0%, the income can be offset for tax purposes by interest and depreciation, and there is no capital gains tax in NZ for non residents on that type of investments.
    Please contact me at [email protected] for more details.

Profile photo of graemehgraemeh
    @graemeh
    Originally posted by SergeMaton:

The GST is chargeable at 0%

Does this mean I have to register for GST if I’m buying this investment?

Is it possible for me to take the apartment away from the hotel operator and rent it myself as a normal residential rental (for example, if the hotel operator is not performing)? Would this trigger any GST payment due to IRD?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.