All Topics / General Property / people experienced in using options to buy??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of sean1973sean1973
    @sean1973

Ive read about how developers and others use options to secure sites and then either develop the site or sell the option (with or without DA and BA) to other developers/builders.

I’d like to hear from and/or get in touch with people who have used options to buy, and learn from their experiences.

Basically, I’d like to know how you approach people to see if you can get an option on their property and format for having the option drawn up.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sean Cassidy
    07 3357 3726
    0407 762 600
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Because land options generally enable the developer to “control” a site for an extended period prior to settlement, the contract “may” have to reward the vendor – which can be as simple as agreeing to pay the asking price.

An option is a formal agreement between the buyer [developer] and seller [vendor] subject to specific conditions.

From a developers perspective, these conditions will often include planning approval; engineers report; finance; and dependent upon the project, subject to selling/leasing all or a percentage of the proposed development OTP [“off-the plans”].

Upon entering an agreement with the vendor, the developer will generally submit a deposit [5-10%] which is held in an escrow/trust account. The developer will often negotiate terms whereby the deposit is refunded in full if the conditions of contract are not satisfied.

However, the developer will have no recourse on capital invested during the “due diligence/evaluation” phase, which will be lost if the conditions are not met and option is not exercised. This can be costly.

In terms of on-selling land before settlement, this could be a condition agreed too with the vendor – included in the agreement.

Otherwise, you may enter another agreement with a third party [or multiple parties] subject to the transaction meeting the abovementioned [or other] conditions. In effect, the third party would finance the amount payable to the vendor on closing, and you would retain any profit [or loss] over and above the original purchase price.

The “approach” is no different from demonstrating an interest in buying any property. The key is conducting an interim evaluation of the property [do your homework] and preparing an offer that makes sense to all concerned.

There is no “format” as such because a different set of terms and conditions can apply to every transaction. I would advise that a qualified lawyer prepare all documentation.

— Michael

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you are looking for people, it is just a matter of asking. Send letters, door knock, put ads in newspapers etc.

One of my clients sold an option over her proeprty to a developer. Both ended up making a fortune. I beleive the developer intially approached her via phone. He must have done a title searcha and then looked her up in the phone book.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

However, (in my opinion) one cannot ‘do’ an option deal on a development site without having some upfront risk money to put in. I have the impression that many people think otherwise.

The upfront money is required to pay for the option fee, surveyor’s and architect’s fees and
    council application fees etc.

I am not necessarily taking about Sean’s situation so much as my remarks being general kind of remarks.

I have spoken to and even actually met with several people over the last couple of months who have read stories about options and the money which can be made and who therefore would just love to get active in this area.

It isn’t as easy as the stories may give you a misleading impression. One also needs an understanding of what to look for and be able to work out what exactly one can build on a site and the values of the land as well as the value of the end product.

One pundit even thought he could get by by using an architect to search out suitable sites and to tell him what he could do with the land.

Unless one has a good understanding what to look for in the first place and how to apply the council’s rules one would go broke paying the consulting fees of an architect everytime he (or you) finds a property which more likely than not may turn out not to be suitable.

The ‘easy’ way to learn is by teaming up with a developer and making yourself useful to him/her and then perhaps hope to learn something on the run.

Summing it all up, I want to emphasize that in addition to essential knowledge one just cannot do a deal without putting in some upfront risk money. Anyone who leads one to believe otherwise is, more likely than not, leading people astray.

Pisces133

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.