All Topics / General Property / Borrowing 100% + Costings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of peternpetern
    @petern

I am enquiring wether there is any reason that I shouldn’t borrow 100% of the purchase price along with initial setup costs, legals, stamp duty etc when buying the positively geared properties.

I currently have equity in other residential buildings so that should not be a problem if security is needed.
    [:0)]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I see no reason why it’s a bad thing if you’ve done all your research etc.

The only thing that I would advise is to get a loan for the deposit and costs from your spare equity as a second loan, and only get 80% against the new property. This will avoid cross collateralisation, and perhaps save you from some hassles in the future.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

This is a good strategy if you have any non deductible debt. Use any deposit to reduce or eliminate it then borrow as much as possible for the IP.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Guys,
    Using Mel’s suggestion, i.e. Use equity for 20% dep and seperate 80% loan for IP…..
    Can both loans be with the same bank and still avoid cross collateralisation? Or will the bank still have some claim if one loan defaults?
    Thanks,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

No the bank cannot automatically claim cross-collateralisation but if servicing is tight it’s better to go to a separate bank as Bank B will take the existing debts to Bank A at face value whereas if loan 2 is with Bank A they will probably apply an interest rate safety margin on both loans even though they aren’t cross-collaterised and reduce your servicing capacity.

If servicing isn’t an issue it may be worthwhile staying with Bank A and getting a professional pack discount based on total loans with bank although some have restricted this to a ‘per loan’ basis.

I’d get your current bank to do up the figures to stay, then take them to a broker and see if they can better it elsewhere.

[:)]
    Mel
    [email protected]

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Thanks Mel, I appreciate your detailed explanation,
    Cheers,
    Sue [:)]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.