All Topics / General Property / losing badly i think

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of sally1sally1
    @sally1

hi guys great forum excellent ideas advice
    i have 5 ips 4 neg one even about to buy a+c/f one
    got my tax statement back today ips losses as follows prop1[5906] 2[6461]3[4439]4[6731] only saving grace is good cap/gain eg
    prp1 bought [11000]now 300000 1997 purchased
    prp2 ” 125000]now275000 1999 ” “
    prp3 ” [147000]now 200000 2000
    prp4 [154000]now 195000 2003 ” ‘
    prp5 [115000] now 133000 2003 “””

some on the forum say get rid of them sone say hold your thoughts please cheers chris

Profile photo of shnookshnook
    @shnook

quote:

hi guys great forum excellent ideas advice
    i have 5 ips 4 neg one even about to buy a+c/f one
    got my tax statement back today ips losses as follows prop1[5906] 2[6461]3[4439]4[6731] only saving grace is good cap/gain eg
    prp1 bought [11000]now 300000 1997 purchased
    prp2 ” 125000]now275000 1999 ” “
    prp3 ” [147000]now 200000 2000
    prp4 [154000]now 195000 2003 ” ‘
    prp5 [115000] now 133000 2003 “””

some on the forum say get rid of them sone say hold your thoughts please cheers chris

Profile photo of shnookshnook
    @shnook

Ooops – sorry about that one my first post didn’t exactly work too well.[:I]

What I meant to say was Oh my god! your losses were just under 1/2 of my husbands total annual wage.

I am no expert, but I would suggest sacrificing one of your properties to pay back the other debts in an effort to create +c/f in the remaining props. You should then easily be able to use this +c/f to fund more purchases.

I have invested in neg geared property for the past couple of years but only so that I could sell of what I needed to create a +c/f, which is what I have just done.

The accountants on the forum might suggest that you sacrifice the one that creates the least CGT -but covers a large portion of your debt. See what they think

good luck

Brooke

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

Depends i guess if there principal and interest loans or interest only loans, if its p/i you should be able to refinance on the properties and have a big reduction in your repayments to hopefully produce a positive income from the rentals,especially on the 1997 ,2000 properties.
    Just my thoughts ?

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

another option is to find out how your accountant came up with those numbers? even if you still owed the complete amount from a interest only loan on the 5 properties . A refinance today would be 552000 @ say 6.5 % would give repayments of 35880 pa rental income at todays market prices would have to be in the facilinity of ip1-190pw, 2-180pw,3-180pw,4-170pw,5-110pw, total of 830 pw – 43160 pa
    that gives a positive income of 7280 pa but in a real world you will probably have a vacancy rate of 20 percent would now be a loss of 1352 pa which would leave you out of pocket $26.00 per week.

This is jsut a rough calc and you would have to alow for fees etc .

Again just my thoughts and ive probably got it all wrong [:D]

Profile photo of sally1sally1
    @sally1

thanks shnook &risky they are all open lines of credit can pay more than the interest component which i do only to the tune of 15/ 20 $ per week each prop your ideas make a lot of sense will be seeing my a/c and lender very soon
    cheers chris

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>> am no expert, but I would suggest sacrificing one of your properties to pay back the other debts in an effort to create +c/f in the remaining props. You should then easily be able to use this +c/f to fund more purchases.<<

How does that work Shnook ?

Would a refinance not be a better way to go ?

Pisces133

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

Sally1 aka chris,

Can you afford to fund the repayments, easily?

Could you afford to fund them if rates went up 2%?

Can you sleep at night with all this debt?

Are you covered if you became ill or lost your income somehow?

If you can answer yes to all 4 questions then why sell?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

chris

were they all your ‘out of pocket’ expenses, or were they inclusive of depreciation, and only the ‘taxable’ losses.

As xyzzy says, you need to look at it from a cashflow viewpoint, rather than just what the accountant says for your tax return.

Also, if they are LOCs, you could always let the ‘losses’ build up a little, using the spare equity to pay for it, until the rents start increasing enough to cover all costs.

My first priority would be to establish the actual cash position.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

Agree with Melbear – what is your true $/wk cash outflow without depreciation? What would you like it to be? Armed with this and a bit of research/assessment to see which ones you can/cannot expect further capital growth or reno opportunities on you’ll know which one(s) to pick to sell off if you want to reduce debts on other IPs to make them cashflow positive.

Whether you need to or not depends on your personal long term goals, desired standard of living, secure income elsewhere etc.

Having a full review of your current loans, especially the older ones, to see whether you can be refinanced to a better arrangement (all LOC’s sounds a bit excessive and prob higher i% than necessary) may save you heaps too.

Happy investing!

[:)]
    Mel
    [email protected]

Profile photo of bigbenbigben
    Participant
    @bigben

Hi Chris,
    I am in a very similar position to yourself at the moment and have been pondering just what to do to try and make things easier however at this stage i have not had any real problems servicing the loans and still have money left aside.
    For this reason i have decided to keep all my neg geared properties and use the equity that i have to but positive cashys. Remembering that your properties that you have now will most likely be in better locations than you will find positive cashy’s and hence will usually get better capital gains while you new positive cashy’s will start to produce income !!
    Hope i have helped in some tiny way!
    Also as others have mentioned just cause your accountant shows a loss it doesn’t mean you are actually making such a big cash loss!!

“Sooner or later the man who wins is the man who thinks he can “

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Seems like your doing well with the capital growth on those properties so why sell – unless you can’t mangage.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of enduserenduser
    @enduser

In all these discussions which deal with selling and buying, I wonder how many people in Victoria realise that buying costs on a median priced property are around $19,000. Then to sell after 12 months, selling costs amount to about $20,000 inc GST (on a typical gain of 8% taxed at half the gain and a marginal rate of 48%), agents and legals.

This is darned close to a dead loss of $40,000 less a bit of deduction from CGT. In the real world there have been other costs as well, and a couple of legal bills for conveyancing.

Buying AND selling is for mugs. Buy and hold is the best approach.

So, if you buy a median priced property and plan to sell in just over a year, you must make a profit of about 11.5% just to break even.

Profile photo of SpawnedSpawned
    @spawned

Everyone has a different situation, but my belief is that if you have good quality property that has proven capital growth and you can afford to hang on it then do so. The best time to sell some IP’s is when you are ready to retire, so you reduce debt and pay less capital gains.

Cheers,
    Shaun.

Profile photo of Mick INCMick INC
    @mick-inc

quote:

thanks shnook &risky they are all open lines of credit can pay more than the interest component which i do only to the tune of 15/ 20 $ per week each prop your ideas make a lot of sense will be seeing my a/c and lender very soon
    cheers chris

Why have so many LOC’s, you only need one to take advantage of the concept. LOC generally attract a higher interest rate. Why not look into refinancing and see how much you can save.

Mick INC

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Sally,

Congratulations- you’re a property millionaire- buy and hold ;)

kay henry

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.