All Topics / Forum Frolic / we survived….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

According to today’s regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s probably shouldn’t have survived because….

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pots and pans.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle – tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always
    outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no
    personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends – and we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!!

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again.

We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue – we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend’s homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we did not have any eyes gouged out,
    nor did the live stuff live inside us forever.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!!!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of
    innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you’re one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

[:D][:D][:D]

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Pinkeeeeeeeeee

Hell Pinkeeeeeeee just because you are a moderator doesn’t mean that you have write essays.
    Takes along time to read them.

Very Deep!!!.

Yes but our days are numbered. Our life span will be up by the time we are 80. Whereas our children who have been brought up in the modern PC age will live until they are about 130 yrs old.

In other words they will be really wrinkled when their life span is up.

I keep telling the kids I teach that they are going to become reallllllly old and bald and wrinkly when they get old but they don’t believe me. More fools them.

Regards

Profile photo of FatBoyFatBoy
    @fatboy

Wow Pinky, i’m impressed !! So where did you cut and paste that from ?? [:P]

It’s so sad because it’s true !!
    I feel like i had the best life as a kid doing all the stupid things i did (i still remember the day at 5 years of a age that a broken ankle taught me i couldn’t fly despite my home made cape), kids thesedays can’t get by without mobile phones and internet access…

If i died tomorrow i had the best life – and lived it to the fullest. I wonder how many people will be able to say that at my age now in 30 years ??

All the violence, the stabbings and shootings etc, and the sad state of the world make me lose faith sometimes in others… The fact that as kids we could be out all day and never have to worry was something we took for granted. With the freaks of the world today parents are afraid to leave their kids with a baby sitter let alone let them run around the place on their pushbikes !!

I better stop before i depress everyone !! [:)]
    Thanks for the memories Pinky … [;)]

Cheers,
    Paul…

“The only thing you get from looking backwards is a sore neck…”

Profile photo of Matt4Matt4
    @matt4

Very interesting

But i don’t think that much has changed except public perception. ie. we are now more ‘scared’ than ever because of media hype. eg. society is probably not more violent but we are more aware of violence and therefore we are not as carefree as the good old days

That’s sorta what this book talks about;

http://www.boondocksnet.com/cb/apfh-item_id-0465014909-search_type-AsinSearch-locale-us.html

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Matt,

You may have hit the nail on the head there. These days there are more avenues for people to report (misconducts). This then increase the number of actual reports and makes some crimes appear to be rising rather than maintaining the staus quo. One factor that has increased dramatically though is that of reoffenders.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.