All Topics / General Property / Refinance or not?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of GuieseppeGuieseppe
    @guieseppe

I have a property that is currently negative geared. Rent is $200 per week and the loan is 125k. I have access to some savings. Should I reduce the loan amount to make it positive gearing or search out new properties to positive gear?

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Isn’t $125k over 25 yrs at 6.57% = $196 per week repayments. There are lower rates than this too.

With a good accountant he should be able to get you some tax deductions as well.

Wouldn’t this be positive, then.

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Not positive in the sense of +ve cashflow. Remember there are other costs associated with owning property over and above repayments. Need to include rates, insurance, maintenance etc etc, which $4 a week probably won’t cover.

(I also hold my bat aloft and wave to the crowd upon reaching the ton! I want to thank my mum and dad, my fans………)

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Guieseppe

Using a professional package with a discount off the Standard VR the payment would come down to approximately $185/ week.

Whilst you stil have to cover the other costs if the property is in a good area and easily rented why not consider using the equity and purchasing a positive cash flow property. A bit of balance and diversification never did anyone any harm.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of GuieseppeGuieseppe
    @guieseppe

quote:

Isn’t $125k over 25 yrs at 6.57% = $196 per week repayments. There are lower rates than this too.

With a good accountant he should be able to get you some tax deductions as well.

Wouldn’t this be positive, then.

[^]Sorry it has taken so long to get back a reply. The property is slightly -ve geared and when I posed the question I guess I was thinking along the lines of about 10% +ve gearing. A small reduction on the loan will bring it in to positive but only by about $6 a week. My question perhaps should have been do I try to get it more like $20 a week?[?][?]

Profile photo of GuieseppeGuieseppe
    @guieseppe

quote:

Guieseppe

Using a professional package with a discount off the Standard VR the payment would come down to approximately $185/ week.

Whilst you stil have to cover the other costs if the property is in a good area and easily rented why not consider using the equity and purchasing a positive cash flow property. A bit of balance and diversification never did anyone any harm.

[;)]Thanks for that advice, It is a possibility I didn’t consider.[^]

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Guieseppe

It depends how risk adverse you are. Some people like to buy as many properties as quick as they can. If you changed the repayments to IO it would be about $144 per week. This would free up some money for the next one. In my opinion it won’t matter too much if it is positive by $10 per week or negative by $10 per week, as long as it is growing you are doing alright.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.