All Topics / General Property / P&I or IO Loans?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Agent007Agent007
    Participant
    @agent007

When borrowing for +ve cashflow properties what are the pros & cons of using P&I versus IO loans?

I would imagine I would be using the buy & hold strategy in most cases – as I am primarily interested in the cashflow at this stage.

Also I just finished reading “Real Estate Riches” by Dolf De Roos last night – a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED book.

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION COMING UP:…..

He suggests that you should try to add value to your IP ASAP and get a new valuation on the property. Then take the extra funds you can borrow as a result of this valuation, use part of it to pay for the improvement, and pocket the rest tax free.

For example, Dolf suggests getting a +ve cashflow property with a garage or carport. Pay to erect a carport for (let’s say) $1,000. If you get an extra rental income of $20 per week, your annual income would be $1,000.

The new valuation will capitalise the extra rental income at 10% giving you an extra value of $10,000. Lets say you can get a new mortgage using (let’s say) 70% LVR for $7,000.

You pay for the carport out of this loan money, and you deduct interest (say 10%). Dolf works out you are left with $6,000 (remember you have $1,000 extra rent pa).

And that $6,000 is not income as such so it is tax free!!!

Does that work in Australia?

As Dolf is an Aussie I imagine that is so. But I have heard of another American doing this, so maybe Dolf is just referring to the US as he lives there now (next door to Robert Kyosaki).

Thanks,

David Paxton
    New Homes Consultant
    Sterling Homes
    0412 853 395

Profile photo of Agent007Agent007
    Participant
    @agent007

Whoops!… In that last example I was meant to write you buy an IP WITHOUT a garage or carport.

Sorry for the confusion.

David Paxton
    New Homes Consultant
    Sterling Homes
    0412 853 395

Profile photo of battz71battz71
    Participant
    @battz71

Great read isn’t it David.[:D] I just have to get hold of his Property Investors School on CD now.

He other books are a great read too.

Cheers,

Battz

P.S. He is coming to Australia in November

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes I beleive it works in Australia. But he makes it sounds so simple!

The interest on the money you redraw would not be tax deductible unless used for income producing activity.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of shanebalshanebal
    @shanebal

Despite his European sounding name (dutch?), Dolf is an NZ’er. Although he spends much of his time in the States.

He runs a nice little property investment vehicle out of Christchurch in NZ that I have shares in. Here is the link:

http://www.propertyventures.co.nz

Has some lovely props including a vineyard!

Regards,

Shane

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Hi Agent007,

We have all our IPs I/O loans because we want more cash flow. Our contract allows us to change to P&I in 5 years andso start paying off the loan if we decide to do that.

We have recently renovated and got new valuations and got a L/C but we always check with our accountant re any tax implications. They are the best to advise on your own situation.

Anna

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.