All Topics / The Treasure Chest / IP’s in Wellington, NZ

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of CrazyCatCrazyCat
    Participant
    @crazycat

Hi,

I am currently living in the UK, but have just sold my house and will shortly be heading back to Wgtn NZ. Does anyone have any advice on purchasing IP’s in Wgtn? Where to, or better still, where not to!!! From what i’ve seen it looks like property prices have just about hit boiling point….does anyone have any insight as to where would be the closest area to take advantage of the spill over?

Also, who are the best mortgage banks to approach for this type of mortgages??

Any advice or opinions welcome…I think a lot has change in the two years i’ve been away! Heeeelp!

Thanks!

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Crazy Cat

Firstly have you looked at http://www.realenz.co.nz and have a look at what is available?
    Secondly ring some Property Managers and sound them out as to where the best/easiest areas to rent are. And also conversely not to buy.
    Thirdly ring around some mortgage brokers.
    Try http://www.interest.co.nz which updates everyday. Financial institutions can also be accessed from this site.

And yes prices are white hot.
    Regards

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

heya crazy, I’m a wellingtonian from way back, too

for CF+ve try
    naenae
    hutt valley
    wainuiomata
    if not then try the wairarapa…

or you could go the other coast….

porirua
    titahi bay

kinda areas perhaps still have opportunities, certainly CG is strong in porirua, I remember reading

Profile photo of CrazyCatCrazyCat
    Participant
    @crazycat

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, i’ll be checking out those websites right away, and making a few calls. Wish me luck – this will be my first property in NZ, and apparently it’s much harder to buy over there?

I bought my first house ever in Manchester (UK) a year ago with 100% LTV, a risk that paid off! I’ve just sold with an increase of value of practically 100%….I reasearched the areas I could actually afford like mad, and simply made the right choice!

It’s funny really…I am a young mother of two, and decided to make a move over here two yrs ago…people thought I was mad at the risk of just uprooting like that as I didn’t have any money! Then I get here, get an average job and decide to buy a house with 100% mtge…once again people think i’m made at the risk…even local people questioned my move…and in 1 year, i’ve reached my original 5-10 yr plan! Howzat! It was so easy to buy over here, and I halved my monthly outgoings by living in the property….but, now I have that growth to be able to go home and (fingers crossed) start my cashflow portfolio.

Thanks again for your advice!

Profile photo of Carlo10Carlo10
    Participant
    @carlo10

Great Job Crazy Cat!

I wish you all the best in your future in Property Investing.

For all the other NZ Investors… What are the implications in buying properties in NZ if you are from another country…. like Australia?

Participant
    @minimogul

that’s brilliant crazy!
    yeh people thought I was a bit mad too but i’ve convinced them all over time…you should be able to get a few in the wellie area with that. good luck!

oh yeah

lyall bay
    building a supermarket huge doodah complex, it’ll be huge. Bit more to get in there, but it’s gonna be the new desirable 7 k from the city beachside and surfing suburb…kinda like a really windy version of bondi…hehe

whereabouts in welli are you from?

Participant
    @minimogul

“What are the implications in buying properties in NZ if you are from another country…. like Australia?

from
    http://www.oic.govt.nz
    overseas investment commission of NZ

SUMMARY

1. New Zealand welcomes and encourages overseas investment from all countries. This is reflected by the facilitative nature of the Government’s overseas investment policies.

2. However, a minimal level of controls over “significant” overseas investment are maintained:

(a)Ê to ensure investment inconsistent with government criteria is discouraged, particularly in relation to certain land; and

(b)Ê for statistical purposes.

3. The Overseas Investment Commission (the Commission) administers the Overseas Investment Regulations 1995 (the Regulations). Under the Regulations an “overseas person” must obtain consent to acquire or take “control” of 25 percent or more of New Zealand:

(a)Ê businesses or property worth more than $50 million;

(b)Ê land over 5 hectares and/or worth more than $10 million;

(c)Ê land on most off-shore islands; and

(d)Ê land over 0.4 hectares that includes or adjoins “sensitive” land over 0.4 hectares (e.g. on specified islands, containing or next to reserves, historic or heritage areas, or lakes); and

(e)Êland over 0.2 hectares that includes or adjoins the foreshore.

4. While 100 percent overseas ownership can be approved in all industry sectors some New Zealand based companies have restrictions relating to foreign ownership.

Consent is required under the Overseas Investment Regulations 1995 for an “overseas person” to acquire a “lifestyle property” in New Zealand where the land exceeds 5 hectares or where the land exceeds 0.4 hectares and involves certain sensitive land over 0.4 hectares (e.g. on islands, containing or next to reserves, historic of heritage areas, or lakes) or where the land exceeds 0.2 hectares and includes or adjoins the foreshore.

2. There are no definitive characteristics constituting a lifestyle block – it is a general term and one that will be determined on a case by case basis. However, generally speaking they are acquisitions that involve overseas persons acquiring land larger in size than any ordinary residential allotment, where the principal use of the land is non-economic in the traditional farming sense, where the values are in excess of value of comparable farmland, and where the overseas person intends to, either permanently or occasionally, live on the land. There are two kinds of purchases by “overseas persons” of lifestyle blocks either as a holiday home or as a home for residency.

3. In general terms, lifestyle applications will normally be viewed favourably, in terms of the national interest test (sections 14D or 14E of the Overseas Investment Act 1973), where the applicant:

a. intends to undertake significant developments on the property and convert it from a lifestyle block into a viable investment property. Such developments (which need to be more than just the erection of a dwelling on the property) include development for forestry, tourist related ventures, etc; or

b. has or is proposing to make other significant investments in New Zealand.

4. If the above factors are not present, lifestyle applications will normally be viewed favourably only when the applicant:

a. has an intention to reside permanently in New Zealand

5. In relation to homes for residency, this intention will normally be demonstrated by the applicant having been granted permanent residency status. With regard to holiday homes, this intention will usually require permanent residency status and an intention to eventually reside permanently in New Zealand.

6. For both kinds of lifestyle blocks, if permanent residency status and an intention to reside in New Zealand are present, and that matter is the deciding factor in approving the application, then it will normally be a condition of the consent that the Applicant reside permanently in New Zealand and cease to be an overseas person within 12 months of the date of any consent being granted and thereafter continue not to be an overseas person.Ê If, after ceasing to be an overseas person, the Applicant subsequently returns to being an overseas person, the Applicant must dispose of the property within such period as stipulated by the Commission of resuming his/her status as an overseas person.Ê

7. Overseas persons wishing to purchase lifestyle blocks who are unlikely to satisfy the national interest test above, are advised that they may still purchase land for lifestyle purposes if the land is less than five hectares in area and it does not include nor adjoin sensitive land (e.g. an island, the foreshore or lake, or reserve etc over 0.4 hectares in area).

8. If you would like to be added to an e-mail mailing list for regular updates about OIC issues, please forward a request to [email protected].

Peter Hill
    Assistant Secretary

Participant
    @minimogul

that’s brilliant crazy!
    yeh people thought I was a bit mad too but i’ve convinced them all over time…you should be able to get a few in the wellie area with that. good luck!

oh yeah

lyall bay
    building a supermarket huge doodah complex, it’ll be huge. Bit more to get in there, but it’s gonna be the new desirable 7 k from the city beachside and surfing suburb…kinda like a really windy version of bondi…hehe

whereabouts in welli are you from?

Profile photo of CrazyCatCrazyCat
    Participant
    @crazycat

Hi MiniMogul,

I’ve lived most my life in the Eastern/Southern Suburbs. Lived in a 2 bd flat in Lyall Bay for a couple of years….I would’ve loved to have bought there, and had a sneaky suspision it was going to take off, but I thought with my two years away, I may have missed the boat? Now they have just had permission granted for the artificial reef to go ahead, I think it’ll bring all kinds of people and business to the area. Oooh, I’m all excited about going home now, and let the search begin!

Profile photo of MorvynMorvyn
    @morvyn

wellington is huge – suburbs are becoming harder and harder right now to positive gear.

Wainui has stuff – but there is a particularly adept PI from the John burley school who has it very wired.

Porirua – is still ripe – running out fast though.

Petone is over pretty much.

I offered on a positive geared flat in karori the other day but got overbid by a desparate investor.

There are still things out there!

Participant
    @minimogul

morvyn,
    how interesting,
    oh that guy is welcome to it!!
    wainui is probably THE suckiest suburb in wellington. I mean, it’s locked in a valley, not on the way to anywhere (except wainui), it’s a hideous place really. I looked there earlier this year and I decided that there must be opportunities out there without me having to buy in Wainui. The returns were’nt’ even that fantastic and i thought the places were a bit overpriced. I think naenae would be a much better bet along the same lines but without the air of desperation. Naenae will do something before Wainui does. Wainui people move ‘over the hill’ to the hutt valley to move up in the world. On the other side of the hill, you have the paint factory, it’s near petone, it’s on the way up the hutt valley…

hello all wellingtonians
    i am an eastern suburbs chick too, grew up in Seatoun

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘IP’s in Wellington, NZ’ is closed to new replies.