All Topics / The Treasure Chest / 11 seconds properties – how far they are?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of MaverickInvestorMaverickInvestor
    @maverickinvestor

Hello,

I’ve been looking for the 11 seconds properties for quite a while without success. Perhaps I look too close to where I leave (Melbourne).
    I’m wondering how far do you go (people who actually find such properties) to find the properties? Do you drive there to inspect the properties? How do you manage renovations if you want to rent properties for more money? How do you manage tenants?

Thank you,
    Leonid.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi there

I live in Sydney city and there is no way i would be in the property market if I could only buy where I live.

OK so I go far. how far? Close enough to be able to visit at fairly short notice if I need to. No, i don’t inspect the properties. i have a builder do that. I only need to see pictures of the inside and out and beyond that professionals tell me in an 8 page written report the exact condition of every single physical detail of the property as well as other more ’emotional factors’ that I ask them about on the phone, basically they are being my professional pair of eyes.

If there are issues with the property I ask them about ball park figures to repair and then go from there. Either do it now or put off until next year, kinda thing!!

2 out of 3 times the properties i’ve bought have been ‘severely cosmetically challenged’. So either me or my partner has gone there, done the first few days reno work painting (with the help of labour) hiring the tradesmen , get the quotes for the things that will happen after you leave i.e. floor polishing etc.

a project manager (I use the building inspector) instructs and oversees things from there, making sure things get done, and being the man ‘on the spot’ which you definitely need if you’re not there yourself.

Yes you could do a renovation by remote control, but you’d be getting quotes and proceeding at top dollar, and you’d need someone to inspect the work and keep and eye on the tradesmen as well as be paymaster etc. Then it might not be as cost effective. property managers will take care of certain work but not usually anything as major as renovations.

then of course it’s not usually practical to let the place and manage the tenants if you’re not local so I farm that out too.

If the property is cashflow positive even if only after tax and depreciation etc don’t forget it’s going to get better over time as the house goes up in value and the rents should be indexed for inflation.

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of karenhkarenh
    @karenh

To Mini,
    You mentioned depreciation in your answer to Leonid ,do you often consider depreciation when looking at a property.(Steve says dont)Thanks for your posts ,they are very informative,especially NZ.

Karen and Colin [:D]

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

I think there can be a tendency to get caught up in rules and systems when buying property. I certainly don’t use the 11 sec rule, because I find it is short term focussed, and unless I want to buy a hut in Oodnadatta, doesn’t suit my long term plans.

Every investment you make should be looked at for the life of the investment (minimum 5-7 years) and what your returns/gains will be in this time.

Some people have had great success with sub $50k properties in the middle of nowhere, and good luck to them – but it isn’t for me.

Read widely for other things to consider. Steve’s book is very good and thought provoking, but please don’t think the only way to be successful is to use this strategy.

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Hi Guys,
    This is my first ever post! I am only 20 years of age and realy excited about a future of investing in property, hopefully + cf properties. It is still very early days however, but I was just wondering if anyone could please clarify exactly what the 11 second rule is and how you apply it
    Thanks heaps, Justn[:D]

Profile photo of navymtnavymt
    @navymt

Hi fudge,
    firstly i am only fairly new here too. welcome to the forums. they are a great wealth of knowledge. you will learn just about everything you need to know by reading the various threads in the forum. you can search for specific info you require by using the seacrch tool at the top of the page. secondly i recommend that you read steves book if you are seriously thinking of investing via property. it is called 0-130 properties in 3.5 years. best of luck and look forward to seeing you on the forum.

paul white

i wanna be freeeeeeee

[email protected]

Profile photo of sabwalsabwal
    @sabwal

quote:

Hi there

I live in Sydney city and there is no way i would be in the property market if I could only buy where I live.

OK so I go far. how far? Close enough to be able to visit at fairly short notice if I need to. No, i don’t inspect the properties. i have a builder do that. I only need to see pictures of the inside and out and beyond that professionals tell me in an 8 page written report the exact condition of every single physical detail of the property as well as other more ’emotional factors’ that I ask them about on the phone, basically they are being my professional pair of eyes.

If there are issues with the property I ask them about ball park figures to repair and then go from there. Either do it now or put off until next year, kinda thing!!

2 out of 3 times the properties i’ve bought have been ‘severely cosmetically challenged’. So either me or my partner has gone there, done the first few days reno work painting (with the help of labour) hiring the tradesmen , get the quotes for the things that will happen after you leave i.e. floor polishing etc.

a project manager (I use the building inspector) instructs and oversees things from there, making sure things get done, and being the man ‘on the spot’ which you definitely need if you’re not there yourself.

Yes you could do a renovation by remote control, but you’d be getting quotes and proceeding at top dollar, and you’d need someone to inspect the work and keep and eye on the tradesmen as well as be paymaster etc. Then it might not be as cost effective. property managers will take care of certain work but not usually anything as major as renovations.

then of course it’s not usually practical to let the place and manage the tenants if you’re not local so I farm that out too.

If the property is cashflow positive even if only after tax and depreciation etc don’t forget it’s going to get better over time as the house goes up in value and the rents should be indexed for inflation.

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of sabwalsabwal
    @sabwal

Minimogul
    who do youcontact to do an independant check on a property you have not seen. What is the title of such a person?

Profile photo of battz71battz71
    Participant
    @battz71

Good points Polar,

I agree that you should not be contrained by your own “rules” of investment. I look at them more as guidelines. And yes Steve’s book is a great read, and the information contained within it is worth significantly more than $30 you pay for it. I took the book with me recently on a 3 day trip to buy property so I could refer to it. But I also took one of Margaret Lomas books and Dolf De Roos “Real Estate Riches”

If you stick to any “rules” then you most certainly exclude yourself from opportunities.

For example if you found a property for $90k and it was returning $165 p/w, that does not fit the 11 sec rule. But what if you had bought the property WELL below market value and it was actually worth $110k and simply by adding air conditioning you could achieve $220p/w, would you still turn down the opportunity to make $20k on the deal and turn it into a positive cashflow property?

Battz,

P.S. Mind you I dont think Steve means use the 11 sec rule as a “hard and fast rule”, but i can imagine some people would.

Profile photo of MaverickInvestorMaverickInvestor
    @maverickinvestor

Hello,

Thanks to all who replied to the topic.

Mini (MiniMogul) has revealed very interesting ideas about managing the project remotely, i.e.:
    – Use building inspector for property inspection before you buy it to get professional evaluation and also some idea about the cost associated with potential repairs. This, to my opinion, may be great informational resource to negotiate purchase price further.
    – Hire/contract tradesmen(s) to do the repairs and have the building inspector (manager) overseeing the work
    I agree with people mentioned that 11 seconds rule should be used in perspective of long term investment and in conjunction with other considerations about potential improvements and property value changes.

Thank you all.

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Thanks Navymt,
    In fact I went down to my local book shop to buy Steves book but of course it was sold out, I hope to be getting a call soon so I can pick up my own copy, then once I get stuck into reading it I should learn alot more about property investing![:D]

Fudge111

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘11 seconds properties – how far they are?’ is closed to new replies.