All Topics / The Treasure Chest / IP with best CG as your PPOR?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of AnastasiaAnastasia
    Participant
    @anastasia

Howdy,

Something I’m curious about – wondering if anyone has a comment on the following???

Suppose you buy a PPOR, live in it for 6 months to establish beyond doubt it really is your PPOR, then you move out and turn in into an IP. Then you go on to repeat the process a few times with other properties.

As I understand it, the rule is that you can claim a property as your PPOR for up to 6 years after you’ve moved out of it, therefore when you sell, you don’t have to pay CGT.

My question is this – if you have two or more IPs that you’ve lived in for at least 6 months and you want to sell one, can you pick the one with the most capital gains to be made and sell that one as your PPOR? Or is there some rule that overrides the 6 year rule – like for example, the property that you’ve most recently lived in has to be your PPOR?

This is a theoretical situation at the moment, but I’m interested in the buy, hold, live, renovate then maybe sell strategy, so it may be relevant in the future to me.

Any thoughts appreciated,
    Anastasia

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Anastasia.
    Good try, but you can only claim one property as your PPOR at one time. There is provision made, however, if you have purchased a new one before selling the old one, and you have 6 months in this case in which you can claim 2.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘IP with best CG as your PPOR?’ is closed to new replies.