All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Interest Only Loans

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of CaptainPositiveCaptainPositive
    Participant
    @captainpositive

Which is Better:

Interest Only or P&I Loans for Investment properties.

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

In my opinion… interest only. The advantages are:

– You can make extra regular repayments if you like (subject to any product restrictions). Therefore you can make P&I repayments on IO loan.
    – You can redraw any principal repayments (subject to product redraw).
    – If cash flow gets tight then you can reduce payments to the bear minimum (i.e. IO).

The downside is that some basic variable products do not allow interest only repayments (or they charge a higher rate for IO).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News
    at http://www.prosolution.com.au

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

A quick question for the mortgage brokers.

IO Loans a usually for a period of 5 years. Is this correct? Or can you have an IO loan for an indefinate period of time?

Cheers

Profile photo of willrogerswillrogers
    @willrogers

The way I understand it is that if you have IO your payments are lower so it gives you more ready cash to use to reinvest or upgrade????I think

quote:

Which is Better:

Interest Only or P&I Loans for Investment properties.

Profile photo of skpolaskpola
    @skpola

The loan I currently have is called a portfolio loan which is essentially a line of credit.
    It allows you to pay interest only but if your cashflow is positive the principle is paid off. The loan can be drawn on to the established limit without applications or fees.
    Cost a little extra in interest but it’s easy to menage.

Profile photo of CaptainPositiveCaptainPositive
    Participant
    @captainpositive

quote:

– You can make extra regular repayments if you like (subject to any product restrictions). Therefore you can make P&I repayments on IO loan.
    – If cash flow gets tight then you can reduce payments to the bear minimum (i.e. IO).

The downside is that some basic variable products do not allow interest only repayments (or they charge a higher rate for IO).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News

Participant
    @captainpositive

Stuart,

Thanks for your reply.
    Much Appreciated

Captian positive

quote:

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

I’d suggest LOC, it gives you the best of both worlds.

With most LOC you have the option of only paying the interest or paying down principal if you wish.
    Which can easily be redrawn if required.

Some of the straight IO loans have limitations on the amount of principal repayments that can be made per year.

The main downside with a LOC however is that you usually can’t fix the interest rate.

Rod.

Profile photo of Di_CamDi_Cam
    @di_cam

Hi Guys,

I’d be a little careful with LOC loans and investment properties. The ATO consider a reduction of the principle as a repayment and this is a headache.

I suggest the following but it depends on your circumstance …

If you still owe money on your PPOR then pay that off and using either a LOC loan or 100% offset loan. (I prefer 100% offset loans as the interest rate is generally better for a basic loan). Any IPs should then be Interest Only so that you are maximising any tax benefits and paying off your PPOR sooner.

If you have payed off your PPOR and have a few IPs then I suggest having one of IP loans with a 100% offset and the remainder IO. This way you can pay off some principle while hunting for the next IP, maximising any spare cash you may have in the offset account. The offset account also isolates cash you may have so that you can spend it elsewhere whenever you like and hence don’t have the problem mentioned above with LOC loans.

Hope this helps.

D

@rodc

Hi D,

You’ve made valid points. Personally my LOC is completely seperate from personal funds and any withdrawals from it are only used for investment purposes- thus keeping the interest tax deductible.

Rod.

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Dear Rod,

Being new in property investment Can you please explain me what is LOC and how it works I have heared about it in couple of places but couldn’t understand what is it?

Thanks

Amit

quote:

I’d suggest LOC, it gives you the best of both worlds.

With most LOC you have the option of only paying the interest or paying down principal if you wish.
    Which can easily be redrawn if required.

Some of the straight IO loans have limitations on the amount of principal repayments that can be made per year.

The main downside with a LOC however is that you usually can’t fix the interest rate.

Rod.

Profile photo of davo70davo70
    @davo70

With a line of credit if you have the right one can fix part of it. You must have at least $2,000 variable so you can pay money into the loan and redraw it.

The Portfolio loan from St George has regularly been voted the best LOC on the market. If you borrow more than $150,000 you are entitled to an interest rate reduction.

The Line of credit is like a big credit card secured by your home. However, you pay your salary into the account or your rent or both depending on whether or not you have personal and investment debt with the loan.

As a pure investment loan it is always interest only so you do not have to renegotiate the loan every five years.

I would recommend a 100% offset loan with your PPOR but think a LOC is much better for investment because of the flxibility offered.

Profile photo of Andy_WAndy_W
    Participant
    @andy_w

quote:

IO Loans a usually for a period of 5 years. Is this correct? Or can you have an IO loan for an indefinate period of time?

Cheers

Profile photo of Andy_WAndy_W
    Participant
    @andy_w

quote:

Cheers

Simply re-financed to another I/O loan after the five years is up.

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Don’t have much time but feel I have to respond.

1. Most IO periods are for 5 years. ANZ offers 10 years and St George offers 15. An indefinite IO period = LOC.

2. LOC are often a waste of money – too expensive. Normally only 1 out of 10 people that think they need a LOC actually do. You are better off (from a cost perspective) to use an offset or basic loan.

3. St George’s LOC is ok but too expensive.
    – High ongoing fees ($10 per month, per sub-account)
    – Break fees of $1,000 for 3 years.

ANZ’s LOC is much, much better (higher interest rate discounts, less fees, no break costs).

I’m writting an article for The Australian about LOC’s and will let you know when its published.

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News

Profile photo of Kirby319Kirby319
    @kirby319

Stuart,

Under what circumstances are the break fees enforced?

Is the fee fixed at a flat rate of $1000 with St George?

Cheers Brett

@rodc

Stu,

You’re right some of the ongoing fees with LOC’s can be expensive. (I think CBA’s are $12 per month!).

Westpac’s seems alright. I’ve got a mix of LOC’s and basic/offset loans and pay the same interest rate on all of them with one annual fee ($300) on their professional package.

I’ll be interested in seeing your article.

Amit,

Davo70’s done a good job of describing the LOC – a big credit card secured against property. And just like a credit card they can be very dangerous. I agree with Davo70, I like the flexibility for investment purposes, but if I was paying off a PPOR as well (which I’m not) a 100% offset loan would probably be a better bet.

Rod.

Profile photo of puissancepuissance
    @puissance

IO loans are better because of what was mentioned above,
    but I believe the sine qua non for IO is the fact that inflation will errode at the initial gearged capital.

Participant
    @captainpositive

Thankyou to you for your comments.

It seems there a bit both ways on this subject.
    Perhaps it comes down to what the individual is comfortable with.

Regards,
    Captain Positive

Profile photo of Rusty073Rusty073
    @rusty073

quote:

Don’t have much time but feel I have to respond.

1. Most IO periods are for 5 years. ANZ offers 10 years and St George offers 15. An indefinite IO period = LOC.

2. LOC are often a waste of money – too expensive. Normally only 1 out of 10 people that think they need a LOC actually do. You are better off (from a cost perspective) to use an offset or basic loan.

3. St George’s LOC is ok but too expensive.
    – High ongoing fees ($10 per month, per sub-account)
    – Break fees of $1,000 for 3 years.

ANZ’s LOC is much, much better (higher interest rate discounts, less fees, no break costs).

I’m writting an article for The Australian about LOC’s and will let you know when its published.

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Interest Only Loans’ is closed to new replies.