All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Capital Gains and LTD Companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of CreminCremin
    Participant
    @cremin

HELP HELP HELP!!
    We are working out an action plan for a renovating business that will basically mean we buy a house, renovate it as cheaply but as nicely as possible and sell it on as a profit.

Our question is about capital gains. How many houses are you allowed to renovated and sell under your own name without incurring capital gains tax or would we be better off starting a ltd company where the tax is one set rate? Oh yeah, we would be living in the house as we renovate it so it would be our primary place of residency to start with. Eventually we will have our own place.

Anyone that can help decipher capital gains or any interesting info about ltd companies would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Cremo.[:D]

Here for a good time not a long time, just do it!.

Profile photo of RedRed
    @red

Cremin,

There would be no cap. gain as it would be your primary place of residency. But their may be a time limit that is to say if you did the reno in 4 weeks then sold the tax man would call any profit income and tax the lot…..

Companies have no Cap. gains reductions.

Ross.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

As far as I am aware there are no fixed rules with doing this. But at some stage, the ATO will deem you to be operating a business and you will have to pay tax, even if you are living in the houses. I have heard it suggested that even a couple per year could raise the suspicion of the ATO.

You can make some really good money doing this tho!

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Capital Gains and LTD Companies’ is closed to new replies.