All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Buying off the plan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

Hi everyone.

Just wondering what people’s thoughts were as to buying a property off the plan? (say up to 12 months before settlement)

I’ve recently been looking at a few 2 bedroom Units in new developments, and while they seem expensive for the likely rental return, the prospect for capital growth is good.

Examples:

2 bedroom unit, water views, CBD area. $265,000, rent $360-$410pw. Body Corp $3000pa (approx)

2 bedroom + study, 5km to CBD, $330,000, rent $380-$420pw. Body Corp unknown

Both Units would be negatively geared, but after tax deductions may (I haven’t fully investigated yet) provide +ve cash flow.

Has anyone else look into this sort of investment? Trying to determine how they compare to buying an existing property with proven growth.

Cheers

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You don’t say what CBD?

I purchased a property off the plan and have just recinded the contract because it hadn’t gone up as expected (Melbourne).

I think now is probably not the time to be buying off the plan in Sydney or Melbourne.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

quote:

Both Units would be negatively geared, but after tax deductions may (I haven’t fully investigated yet) provide +ve cash flow.

How many of these properties do you need to own before you achieve your investment goals?

Be aware that in order to access the tax benefits it’s likely you will need to keep working for the next five years.

Is this all part of the master plan? What is your master plan?

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

Oops! The first one is Darwin the other Brisbane.

As for my master plan? Ah, well….

I’m 32, earning a reasonable wage, married with 3 kids. I have had my first IP for just over 12 months now and built up about $30k in equity.

I would like to build up a reasonably sized property portfolio to use as a retirement nest egg and maybe retire early. (Don’t we all!)

My plan? To do this I’m not sure how many properties I will need, just thought that each year I would look at the finances and if I found the right property, invest again.

Not much of a plan I know. I don’t know whether to build up a number of lower priced properties at around $100k range, (the first IP cost $110k) say 3 or 4, before moving into the higher priced properties. I’m hoping some of you good people might be able to give me some direction.

Cheers!

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Since I’m online and since I’m not doing anything better… let’s have more of a look at your reply.

quote:

I’m 32, earning a reasonable wage, married with 3 kids. I have had my first IP for just over 12 months now and built up about $30k in equity.

That sounds like an excellent start [:D]

quote:

I would like to build up a reasonably sized property portfolio to use as a retirement nest egg and maybe retire early. (Don’t we all!)

Well – the difference b/w a dream and reality is a quantifiable plan. Eg. how much in passive incopme per week do you need to cut down from 5 days to 4 days and have more time with the family? By waht date do you plan to have this accomplished?

quote:

My plan? To do this I’m not sure how many properties I will need, just thought that each year I would look at the finances and if I found the right property, invest again.

Hmmm – sounds a bit wishy-washy to me! This is not the talk of a determined mind, but someone waiting for opportunity to find them. You need to work out how bad you want that early retirement.

quote:

Not much of a plan I know. I don’t know whether to build up a number of lower priced properties at around $100k range, (the first IP cost $110k) say 3 or 4, before moving into the higher priced properties. I’m hoping some of you good people might be able to give me some direction.

As a rule of thumb, it’s better to own 4 * $100k properties than 1 * $400k property.

That way you can spread your risk of vacancy wiping out your cashflow.

My advice would be to work harder at deciding what you want, for when you have a goal it’s just a matter of method (and effort) to get you there.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Buying off the plan’ is closed to new replies.