All Topics / The Treasure Chest / finance against an L/O property

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of polarispolaris
    @polaris

Hi all,

Can a person who has written a L/O against their property immediately turn around and arrange finance for another property with the aim of shifting into that property giving way for the L/O purchaser to move in. [?]

Did I say that correctly?

Profile photo of williwilli
    Participant
    @willi

Enlighten me on why you would want to do this?
    I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers
    Pete

…Beware of the dreamtakers…

Profile photo of polarispolaris
    @polaris

Hi Willi,

I am in the process of evaluating the virtues of lease option sandwich’s. The only challenge I have is figuring out why someone would give me control of their property for say 2 years if the reason they had was to sell the house immediately without attracting agent fees and retain max equity.

However, they would need to vacate the premises, would they be able to obtain finance for their new home using this property as part of the finance approval given they haven’t received the equity they might have in the initial property as yet?

The goal of sandwich L/O being to create a win / win for everyone. Seller is able to upgrade to a better property, T/B has the opportunity to get into a home sooner, investor receives the benefits of investment.

Hope I am making sense.

Profile photo of williwilli
    Participant
    @willi

Polaris,

Ok, well in your senario I don’t think i can help much,as I am only aware of L/O in investmetns terms. I have no experience or knowledge when the property being Lease/Optioned is the primary place of residence…

Lets hope someone else can shine some light….You have me interested..

Pete

…Beware of the dreamtakers…

@polaris

Hi willi,

Thanks for your imput.

With a sandwich L/O trade (please anyone correct me if I’m wrong) there is the seller who owns the title of the property, the buyer who wants to own the title but can’t obtain finance for what ever reason and the investor in the middle profiting from bringing the two together and eventually moving the property from seller to buyer.

I understand the concept of controlling the property with options. I have no problem with the T/B reasons for being in the arrangement and also the investors – the reasons are the same as for wrapping.

One of the benefits being promoted for a seller to enter into such an arrangement is the ability to sell their home quickly.

I can’t see how this is a benefit if they cannot use whatever equity they might have in the property towards the purchase of the next home if it is tied up for the term of the option contract?

I can see it as being a benefit if the banks will accept the use of that equity as part of their new home finance even though it is not realised.

So, will a bank finance the sellers new loan using the optioned property as part of the equation?

NB:

– The seller retains the title to the property during the course of the option contract.

– All liabilities of the property being leased are assumed by the investor who in turn subleases the property to recoupe these costs plus profit.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Polaris

I think I understand what you are saying? Sometimes these things are difficult to explain in words!

The person selling an option on their property is, I beleive, not doing it because they want to sell it quickly. it will be actually slower than if they just sold it outright. I think they would be doing it because they wanted a higher price and/or they were getting an option fee which they get to keep if the buyer doesn’t take up the option.

Banks will not use future equity from an option as collateral as they would be unable to put a mortgage over it.

If you are doing a sandwich lease option it would be better to target investors that are renting out there property. Maybe they are sick of having a high turn over of tenants, want to sell the property, but can’t find anyone. You come along and say you will buy it for the price they are asking, but can’t pay yet. So you give them a small fee now, and teh rest in say 2 years. In the meantime you will rent the place and pay for everything. That would sound like a good deal to them maybe.

An owner occupier would have to move out and rent elsewhere until you purchased the property and the funds were released to them.

Hope this helps?

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@polaris

Thanks Terryw for the input.

I thought this was the case.

As with any business you need to understand the thinking of your customers in order to service them effecively. I think what is attracting me to L/O sandwich investing is the ability to solve alot of peoples problems and profit from doing a good deed.

So with sandwich L/O trades who is your effective market on the sellers side of the deal and what are their reasons / benefits from participating in a L/O arrangement?

Also, do you have any idea how big this market may be?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Polaris

You would be mainly marketing to people who can not qualify for bank finance.

I can see the potential of Sandwich lease options!

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘finance against an L/O property’ is closed to new replies.