All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Peter Flanagan Seminar

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I have received an invite to attend a seminar by Peter Flanagan. He claims to own 235 investment property worth millions.

Does anyone know anything about him – and if you do is his seminar worth going to[?]

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Break Free Events are promoting him.

I’ll be going along to the afternoon session as I am busy that night.

Should be interesting. I’ll report back with my opinion after the event.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

I’ll say hi if I bump into you there Steve! [:D]

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

We must all be goofballs going to that seminar!!! [:D] Curiosty killed the cat [}:)] I’m not sure when I will be going, depends on babysitting. It sounds interesting and free is good, although be wary Breakfree events do so many events that just be careful not to get suckered into buying something. They do the push during the break and at the end.

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Sooshie
    It’s rare indeed that I end up buying stuff at an intro seminar when I have no real prior knowledge of the speaker or his credentials.
    I figure, for free, I can handle only walking away with one or two little bits of useful information.
    Mind you, it’s not really free, the logistical exercise of me being there is enormous!!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of Kirby319Kirby319
    @kirby319

Where is this seminar being held?

Profile photo of PropertyInvestorPropertyInvestor
    @propertyinvestor

Hi,

I also received the letter due to having attended many seminars promoted by Break Free Events. I have booked myself into the midday session and I’m looking forward to hear what this guy is all about. I have also never heard of him. The last free seminar that I went to was conducted by the Owner of Break Free Events. The way I see things whether it’s good or just another one of “those” Seminars, there is always the chance that I may come out with something new that I can use.

Regards,
    Mannie.

“It’s too late to go back and make a brand new start, but from today you make a brand new end”.

@sooshie

Hi there,

Well I’m hoping to be there for the am session (babysitter’s allowing). Who else will be at that session? Should I wear a ‘Sooshie’ name tag so that we can all meet up? [:D]
    Kirby the seminar is being held in Flinders St Melbourne (I’ll have to find my letter to get the exact address if you like)
    Break free line if you want to come 1800 889 909 they have another seminar in June, if you miss out.
    I’m not an employee of BFEvents if you were wondering how I know about these seminars…

Cheers and looking foward to meeting some of you

Profile photo of keen2learnkeen2learn
    @keen2learn

Hi, this is my first post (and surely not the last) as this forum seems to contain some experienced investors.. I’m also a newbie investor researching property investment and hoping to buy my first IP within next 3 mths – after doing my due dilligence of course

I went to Peter Flannagan’s intro seminar on 15 April, was at Carlton Crest hotel..

I found it interesting, and well laid out. He has a systematic approach and appears to get to the point fairly quickly. The main strategy he talks about he calls “Conceptual Analysis”, where you study the area you’re looking to invest in, looking for signs of residential/industrial transformations and other factors that may affect capital growth, along with having a balanced portfolio so as not to just focus on each deal.

I would have liked to sign up for his course which I believe is running in July on the Sunshine Coast (he figures if you’re going to spend a weekend somewhere in July, why not do it somewhere in the sun..)

I didn’t sign up because I had already signed up for (and I’m actually currently attending) Michael Yardney’s ‘Real World” investment workshop this weekend.

Steve’s course also sounds very tempting, but it’s booked out and I don’t want to overcommit on training just yet (too much too soon = no good) as I want to be able to have some $ left to buy an IP! :)

anyhow hope this post was of use to someone..

Cheers,

Joe

@sooshie

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the PI forum [:)]! It’s great to see your investing time researching prior to actually investing. Hope you have fun at your workshops and that you learn heaps!

Cheers

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Does this fellow have a website were people can find out more about him??

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

@sooshie

Hi

This is the link to Break Free Events
    http://www.breakfreeevents.com.au/ but I couldn’t find very much here.
    I did a search at http://www.google.com and couldn’t find much there either, except for a real estate agent from the USA.

I did find this about ‘Conceptual Analysis’ that Joe mentioned PF talked about.

It seemed interesting, but I’m not sure how many people would be interested in it.
    This might be interesting for Sydney investors

I know this dosen’t help much, but if anyone knows more about P Flanagan… help out..
    By the way, what was the name of the Flanagan in the movie with Tom Cruise called ‘Cocktails'[?]

Cheers

Profile photo of OPMOPM
    @opm

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me what date this seminar is being held in Melbourne?

Hi Joe, please report back to the forum on what you thought of Michael Yardney’s weekend seminar.
    I’d love to do it, but the $3,500 is a bit much for me at the moment.
    But if you really recommend it, i may consider going.

Cheers,
    Q [:D]

@keen2learn

Hi Sooshie, thanks for the warm welcome :)

Yes well I figured I better learn and get a good foundation to begin with before jumping in and doing the wrong thing, which is what happened when I entered the share market in 2000 (wrong time obviously after the boom) plowing in $17k, which was reduced to $4k in a matter of 2-3 mths… I didn’t have an exit strategy and that cost me… I am still holding the shares as I sold some at a profit but the remaining bunch are worth around a miniscule $1300 so I figure there’s no point writing a loss just yet unless I need to..

Anyhow, property investment appears to be a safer, more stable vehicle for wealth building. I’ve decided that if I want to do it seriously and do it successfully, then I ought to spend some time & money to learn from people with a proven track record.
    I have lots to learn, of which I’ve learnt a lot in the past 3 months or so reading up on the net about different strategies, books and some of the intro seminars etc…

Regarding Peter Flanagan, I don’t know of any web references other than Break Free Events, you could give them a call and ask them on 1800 889 909. I have a copy of an email here which promotes the introduction night, if anyone wants a copy let me know and I’ll forward it as I don’t want to post it here (bad net-etiquette?)

Quentin, there isn’t a Melbourne seminar as far as I know, he only mentioned the one in Sunshine coast. He is probably promoting it around the country though.. or he could just Melbourne based, I’m not sure..

I have now completed the Real World seminar, and must say I am pleased with my decision to attend as I got a lot out of it. I went in mainly wanting to learn the fundamentals of property selection criteria, what research to undertake, a bit about developments, and to learn Michael’s investment methodology/thinking..

I gained a lot more than that, there were some guest speakers that gave talks on vital issues such a property lawyer discussing legal issues with contracts etc, there was Dale Gatherum-Goss (an accountant that knows property investment) discussing some truly creative and legal tax strategies that a family/hybrid trust can take advantage of, also good for asset protection which is a must for any investor.
    Also learnt about rentals and property management, the amount of effort required to be a successful developer (with town planning permits and project management, feasability studies before commencing etc)

As with most events of this nature the networking with other like minded people is great too, getting to hear other peoples experiences and what they have acheived, also the potential to partner up in joint ventures etc..

There were 2 people that attended the course last year that came again just for the session on property development, and they found it worthwhile. Basically it was a no-hype event with practical, realistic strategies (mainly buy & hold/development, just briefly mentioned options/wraps though so don’t go hoping to learn them) for building wealth. They also had a speaker discussing finance options as well, so it pretty much covered everything from beginning by setting goals, adjusting your mindset, selecting, evaluating, purchasing, negotiating (good session on dealing with auction’s), and how to finance and structure it. Received a nice thick folder of notes and research material, Dale’s Tax Battles booklet, plus a recording of the whole event that arrives on CD once it’s been mastered.

It answered a lot of questions for me, so had I not done it I would still be left wondering about a lot of things, which I may/may not find in forums/books, plus the added bonus of how important asset protection and the right structure is in helping your portfolio grow steadily and safely. Some of the more experienced people went for some of the specific topics and it was good to see that most people there already had a few IP’s. I think I was the youngest person there at 28. :)

I hope that gives you a non-biased overview of the event. The other thing worth noting is that it was a small group of 50-60 people in a class-room type format (tables & chairs) not like a lecture session with books on your knees, unlike some other seminars that have 100+ people where you don’t get the chance to speak 1-1 with the presenters and get to ask questions during the seminar. (we could ask questions on the microphone so whole audience could hear and participate throughout the course)

Oh and they provided nice coffee, biscuits, lunch (with dessert) and snacks throughout the breaks. I think it was worth it just for the extra calories :)

Q, it’s up to you to gauge where you are at knowledge wise and decide which area you which to focus on, but I found that most participants had been to other seminars and were still happy they went along. There was one guy who half way through thought he may not have gained what he went along for (this was before the 4 hour discussion on the property development/planning process took place), but by the end of it he realised he spoke too soon. I didn’t hear/see of any other complaints from the attendees.

I guess seminar junkies will get something out of every course and say it’s worthwhile so it’s really an individual assessment as to what you think is good value. Simply not being aware of a legal implication could well cost you $10k+, or not maximising tax could deprive you of the same amount. So with property courses it can take 1 single gem that’ll pay for the course (considering the size of property transactions). Sure you can get some of those gems free and some people do quite well being all self taught, which is how I learnt computers from using them to networking/hardware and programming them. It also depends on the time you wish to spend learning, as you could save time and invest some money or save money and spend some time.. Which is more important? Timing is a key factor in cycle-driven investments, so the earlier you know something and can apply it, the better off you are. That’s how I look at it anyhow. Just do some research before you part with hard-earned $, find out what you’ll get from it (ie,think of the end result) and make an informed decision rather than an impulsive one.

My next step is to review the course material and plan my investment structure, set some goals and buy some property! (and learn whatever else I can along the way)

I hope I didn’t go too off-topic or too long here so please forgive me if I did.

Joe

—-
    “Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.” – Bruce Lee / Johann von Goethe.

Profile photo of PropertyInvestorPropertyInvestor
    @propertyinvestor

Hi Keen2learn,

So how much was the course?
    How many days/hours?

Thanks,
    Mannie.

“It’s too late to go back and make a brand new start, but from today you make a brand new end”.

@keen2learn

The course was $3000 if you paid in 2 x monthly installments of $1500, or $3500 if you paid within 7 days of attending (I booked a month or 2 earlier). It went for just over 2 days. Friday 7pm-10pm, Sat & Sun 9am-6pm.

Joe

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

OK….

The verdict is in.

I went to the Peter Flanagan event (promoted by Break Free) this afternoon.

The quick answer is that it was well worth what I paid to attend… which was nothing.

Now, the first read of that comment might seem to indicate that I am being negative.

This is not the case. In fact I would recommend attending his free intro on the basis that if you walk away with one good idea then it has been worth the time investment.

Peter’s information is good, although it is unashamedly a preview of a 3-day event that costs a shade under $3,000 per person to attend + airfare and accommodation to the Sunshine Coast.

More Details

Peter is a guy that’s larger than life and was comfortable cracking a few jokes about his weight. He left school at age 15 to get a labouring job that paid next to nicks. He later returned to TAFE and then became a psychologist with his own practice.

At 35 years of age he woke up one morning, realised he was broke and then starting investing in property.

His first deal he bought at 30% below value and then lease optioned it back to the vendor who remains in the property to this very day.

Now he and his wife pocket $200k each per annum from their property business. They live on 37 acres in outer Melbourne.

Peter mentioned that he is not speaking for the money, which is always a cliche as if this was the case you would offer the big seminar for ‘cost’, which would be significantly less.

I’d just prefer presenters to be honest. For example, I run seminars to make money as another source of income to fund property acquisitions. Let’s just call a spade a spade and move on.

All up the seminar contained some good info. His ‘Pyramid of Success’ was worth attending for. Although if you want specifics then you’ll go home disappointed.

Some interesting stats were raised:

50% of retirees will live on less than 33% of their pre-retirement income (PRI)
    43% will live on b/w 33% – 53% of their PRI
    6% will live on b/w 53% – 99% of their PRI
    1% will live on 100%+ of their PRI

As far as negatives… the presentation went on for about 1/2 an hour too long, the presenter tended to shout a little bit and some of the claims were a nonsense… such as “I’ve done all the (property investing) courses” and I charge $1,500 per hour for private consulting.

Overall though, invest the time but weigh up the cost vs. the benefit of attending the seminar.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

can he really just get enough cashflow from peoperty investing? I thought most people say, to get cashflow do business, to let it grow, keep it in property.
    How can he and his wife get 200k EACH per year? from rent??? He rents to Bill Gates or something?

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

…he owns (or has owned) 230ish properties, so on this basis they all have to bring in an average nett passive income of $33.44 per week.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

I thought his explanation of why using negative gearing as your only investing strategy was a big mistake and very risky was excellent.
    Must practice that and repeat it to a few friends of mine… [;)]

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Peter Flanagan Seminar’ is closed to new replies.