All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Purchase Price: Rental Income Ratio

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of susiemacsusiemac
    @susiemac

I believe I have read a recommended ideal ratio for purchase price: rental income quoted on this site, but can’t remember what it was!
    We are in the process of purchasing a property for $125K that we can rent for $190. Is that an OK ratio? It is a 4 bedroom + study brick (one bathroom only) and is in a regional centre.
    Also we have just found out the valuation on our home is 30% higher than we realised so is it wise to go ahead soon and buy another property also or is it better to stagger them out a bit?
    We will owe total of $212K on properties combined worth $318K.

Profile photo of YoungGunYoungGun
    @younggun

Hey susiemac

By the sounds of it, you’ve found a positive cashflow investment, good on ya, I’m still looking for one.

I use a basic calculation to see whether a property rental is +ive cashflow or not. This is simple and I hope someone can elaborate on this so I may use a more precise formula.

Weekly rental ($190) minus property managing fees (usually 8.5%) multiply by 52 weeks, then divided by the interest rate (interest only loan at, lets say 6.5%) then finally divided by 106%. I choose 106% because I usually borrow this much of the purchase price to include settlement fees and the like.

$190 / 108.5% x 52 / 6.5 / 106% = $132,162.42

This is the figure I try to purchase at or below to create a cashflow +ive property. But it isn’t easy to find these (in my experience)

If someone could elaborate on my comment, please do as this calculation I came up with has come from a few different sources, and I’d like to know a better quicker or easier formula.

Always set your goals further than you can reach
    – Then stretch that little bit further

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

I’m finding that it’s useful to produce a graph so one can quickly see whether a property is cashflow positive or not.

Mark the Y axis ‘Weekly Rent’. Mark the X axis Loan Amount.

You will need a home loan calculator to work out the repayments. I use Finsoft 4.2 from Destiny.

Secondly you need to make up a spreadsheet for all your property’s income, costs, and tax deductions. This includes allowance for things like repairs, 4 weeks vacancy each year, body corporate fees, tax deductions, etc.

For my requirements (which included a P&I loan rather than interest only and borrowing 80%), I needed a rate of return of about 6.3% to be cashflow positive.

My graph shows that if I borrow $80k (ie buy a $100k property), I would need to get $120/wk in rent to make it cashflow positive. Do these calculations for other loan amounts and you get a straight line on the graph. If it’s above the line, the property puts money in your pocket, if it’s below the line it takes money from you.

None of this has been tested on a real investment (this will happen later once more due diligence is done) but I reckon this graph should be a useful tool as you can see at a glance whether a property’s cashflow is sufficient.

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey all,
    I am looking at the numbers and wondering if they stack up.

Here is how I look at a deal.
    My assumptions here are that you are borrowing the whole amount from the way you talk about valuations.

Using Susie’s numbers

Purchase Price – $125000

Interest rate – 6.0 %

Rates – $1500/year – 28.85/week

Costs

Interest/week on interest only basis. – $144.59
    Rates – $28.85
    Mgt Costs – $17.10

Total – $ 190.54

Now this allows no excess of before we even consider maintenance, Settlement costs, and insurances.
    I also allow 2-3 weeks vacant depending on location.

So on your numbers Susie here is what I would like/need to do the deal.

If my costs are roughly $186/week.
    I allow $10/week maintneance
    Insurances are roughly $10/week.

Allowing say 2 weeks vacancy here are the yearly numbers.

Rent – $9500
    Costs – $190 + 10 + 10 = 210* 52 = $10920
    So on rough numbers you would be losing $1400/year without any really big unexpected goodies.

While you may get a deduction on the loss I still struggle to see how the deal can be positive.

The simplest bench mark I try and get close to is the 11 second solution. rent *1000 /2 is purchase price. eg. 190*1000 /2 = $95000.

Now I won’t deny my numbers are tough but I want to keep buying more and more and doing it this way enables me to buy lots of properties as long as I have a deposit. Susie et al please don’t feel that I am snubbing your numbers as I am just showing you how I look at things.

I have actually bought houses outside the rule on occasion because they offer something else.
    For example I bought a house that was rented for $160/week and it cost me $85000. The reason I was happy to do that deal was because the property was well under valued and not 1 month later I got a revalue of $100K and now 7 months on it would be sold for around $130K. Another property I bought for $73K which would be lucky to rent for $130/week I spent 30K(ish) on a reno and I would have rented for $200/week but instead I sold it for $152K.

I always use the 11 second solution for my guide but am willing to look outside the square if a different exit strategy presents itself. I hope this helps and I would love to hear others opinions.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]

“Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.”
    Lat., “Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.”
    -Horace, Odes

Profile photo of quasimodoquasimodo
    @quasimodo

Just another thought for if you’re wrapping…

One of the ratio’s I’ve come across a few times is the “will tennants actually be able to afford it” ratio. EG will the payments be (overly) disproportionate to rent rates in the area. Another well known wrapper (who will remain nameless! [;)]) works to a rule that the payments should be around 20% higher than the rent would be. Based on this and your numbers at:

$125,000 purchase
    8% Interest (assuming you have the 6%+2% margin)
    payments = $965
    Rent in the area is $190 (or $823 a month)
    making payments 17% above rent rates.

:. a reasonable proposition to attract tennants!

NB If you raised the margin to 2.% payments would be 22%, still a reasonable figure!

Quasimodo

Profile photo of susiemacsusiemac
    @susiemac

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice – I will be hanging on to all of it. re the comments from AD – yep, that’s the figures i’m getting too, and yes, there is another bonus – firstly, the rates are only about $900; secondly it is a brick home with 4 beds plus study and in good repair. From checking out the marketplace I estimate I am buying at about 10% under market value. I am borrowing $132 and could immediately resell for $140K if so desired. So hopefully this makes it worthwhile; plus it’s very low maintenance, unlike most properties in this price bracket it won’t need any external painting at all. How does that stack up now?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Purchase Price: Rental Income Ratio’ is closed to new replies.