All Topics / Help Needed! / Please Help, Tenant Advice Required!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of alottialotti
    Participant
    @alotti

Hi Guys,

Our new tenant has asked us to suppy wireless broadband to the property as he requires it for work. He said that connection etc would cost $250. I thought that was steep so I called Telstra to clarify, and the sales rep told me that it’s the tenant’s responsibility and it’s no different to connecting Foxtel, it has nothing to do with me.

I want to be a good landlord as our house was not easy to rent (has a steep rent of $440 per week) and I want to keep this tenant happy. Is he asking for too much? Any helpful advice would be very appreciated as I have to get back to them ASAP…

Thank you everyone [confused2]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

ADSL is his problem not yours. What will he ask for next?

He can sign a plan that gives him a very low upfront cost if that is his problem.

What will he ask you for next I wonder? where will it end?

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

ADSL is his problem not yours. What will he ask for next?

He can sign a plan that gives him a very low upfront cost if that is his problem.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello alotti

I agree in principle with Simons answer but if he is a good tenant and the property was difficult to rent I would tend to offer to split the cost of the installation. I would first explain that this was not actually my responsibility, giving foxtel as an example.

Naturally he is responsible for the monthly fees.

When he moves out the equipment stays (or do they come and remove it?) and you can use it as a plus point when advertising your property next time.

I think I’m a bit of a softy though…. not good. [blush2]

Elka

Profile photo of ForgeForge
    @forge

Hi,

The sales rep is right, Broadband is similar to foxtel as both are contracts owned and paid for monthly by the client. There is no reason for it to be any of your responsibility as there is no physical changes made to your property ADSL is set up as a contract to a client and to the current residence, once the client moves out the connection is switched off and your next tennant has to pay the setup fee again.

The only physical entity is the router that the adsl goes thru. Broadband is usually setup as a contract with a customer if the contract is broken then cancellation fees apply. The connection price is also a monthly fee which can be depedant on use.

So basically there is no enhancments made to your property the connection is identical to a phone connection or electricity connection. It is completely the responsibility of the tennant. and the pricesare based on usage.

on the flip side in a creative thought I had once I did invision offering broadband as an enticement to a property that needed a little more above the competition, if you get friendly with a smaller interenet company and are able to setup enough accounts you could get a sellers discount.

Tom

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I agree with the above comments. It is his wish to have broadband and it is his cost. I do, however, also agree that if it meant getting the house rented then $250 is less than a week’s rent, and could be worth spending as an enticement.

However, as he has already moved in, he should be on a lease and is going to stay for the term of the lease so I would tell him you are not prepared to pay for the installation.

Wylie

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Maybe you could get him to sign a longer lease in return for you paying – with a small increase maybe?

Or maybe he could just get wirelss broadband.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of alottialotti
    Participant
    @alotti

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post, you guys are great.

I decided that I would purchase a wireless modem from Telstra (got a quote for $70) and he can set up the account under his name. I think he expected a wireless card that costs $250 but I think the modem will do the job & that’s all that matters.

To everyone who said that this isn’t my responsibility, I agree with you, but since we need the tenant more than he needs us, I am going to try to keep him happy – within reason [blush2]

Lena

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

the tennant says he needs broadband for work. I rekkon he should’ve approached his boss instead of his landlords.

Let us know what he asks for next.

goodluck

Profile photo of Michael TMichael T
    @michael-t

It depends on Your requirements – as the information about the provision of this service is upto the tennant. If you connect it and there are problems then you are responsible to get it fixed – if he looses information because of the service that you have provided the you may be liable because your service failed — would you expect an owner to provide this service – if so provide the the service – if no do not provide the service. Why should you have to wear the cost. If you provide the service you are effectively only receiving rent of $435 pw and not $440 pw

Keep your costs to a minimum and find alternates to this to keep the tennant happy.

michael t

[exhappy]

Profile photo of tmrtmr
    @tmr

Hi Lena,

I have a property where I supply ADSL Broadband to the tenants; multiple tenants so a little different to your situation. I absorbed the cost of equipment, set-up, phone line, (or the Taxman does), and the tenants pay a small additional access fee.
    For ADSL Broadband I use and recommend TPG. http://www.tpg.com.au Much larger download quotas for better pricing. ADSL 1 or if connected in your area ADSL 2
    Cheers
    TMR

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I came across a new system called http://www.wired.com.au that provides wireless broadband for an initial outlay and then a monthly fee.
    This depends on “Wired” radio coverage where tenant lives.
    Telstra also provides wireless broadband that doesn’t require a cable into the house so long as you have Telstra radio coverage.
    The Wired system is really new and is available at Harvey Normans..
    And is cost comparable to cable…
    The advantage is you can move address and keep the wireless or use it down the street while sipping a coffee Latte.

Profile photo of sunny1sunny1
    @sunny1

Seeing the property was on the hard side to lease,why not keep the tenant happy & suggest you would meet half way with the cable installation cost & maybe his company would pick up the other 50%. I have many properties & have always found a compromise where possible keeps tenants happy & there for a long time. Cheers & good luck

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.