All Topics / Value Adding / Building a Study in a Unit (Cant get consent).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of KiwiVandiKiwiVandi
    Join Date: 2021
    Post Count: 0

    Hi so I have a property, its a 1 bed, 2 bath.

    It is large, 104SQM.

    I wish to build a wall to make a study.

    This unit is unique, there are 7 above it with the same SQM, that already have a wall there, they are 2 bed, 2 bath. Mine was ordered to be a 1 bed, 1 bath at the Off the plan stage…… I pay less levies as a result.

    I made the request for consent to the Strata committee, and got a response 46 days later saying that 3 of the 7 members voted, and all 3 voted no, so the strata manager cannot give me consent. Stating conerns regarding fire safety and damage to common property (All legal requirements are met by default, 2.7M, window, natural lighting etc).

    A Bylaw states that if its a minor renovation, and the committee doesnt respond in 21 days, then the owner may proceed with the works. However the CDC consultant wont touch it without written/verbal approval…. so the bylaw does imply that I technically have consent…. but the strata committee manager is saying NO WAY.

    I spoke to the council who said I should apply for a CDC as its a study rather than a room, that is to say that it is indeed a minor renovation within the current legislation and by laws… and therefore needs a CDC and not a DA….

    So because I couldnt get consent to get approval from the governing bodies… I cannot proceed…

    I tried Fair trading mediation, they declined.

    I now face the prospect of going to NCAT… which sounds like a god forsaken hell hole where justice goes to die…

    Anyway my question is, has anyone ever had success with NCAT and building a Study/internal non load baring wall?

    Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Join Date: 2001
    Post Count: 1,763

    Hey mate,

    This sounds like a planning issue, and based on your username, I’m guessing you are a ‘Cuz from across the ditch…?

    If that’s so, I recommend you contact the folks at to see if there is a planner near you who can help navigate you through this tricky situation.

    Sorry I can’t be of more help. I do think you did the right thing seeking permission though, as you wouldn’t want to risk illegal works compromising your insurance.

    All the best,

    Steve McKnight | Pty Ltd | CEO

    Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.